How many 2A's are there? - Page 2

How many 2A's are there?

This is a discussion on How many 2A's are there? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Subscribed....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Subscribed.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

If I say 'Because it's an endangered species, don't touch that snake" or "Because it will bit you, don't touch that snake ", the meaning is clear: "DON'T TOUCH THE SNAKE".
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    To me it's always been about how you interpret it and regulate it. (If regulate is the right word.) We have 1st Ammendment right to free speech yet can't yell fire in a crowded movie house, at least not in some states. The 2nd Ammendment would have the same variation in interpretations.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can yell fire all you want - you just have to be willing to accept the consequences...
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    SC SLED Certified CWP Instructor

Idaho
    ARTICLE 1 SECTION 11. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS.
    The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the commission of a felony
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Two. One on paper; one in daily use (mis-use, or non-use). Or, if you prefer: one for the privileged; one for the rabble.

The reality: one, and one only. In absolute terms. "... shall not be infringed" is really that simple.

Nicely, many states (aka, The People) have taken up their state powers and erected strong, fine wording in defense of the freedom to keep and bear arms. Oregon included.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The link for the Nebraska Constitution is, I think, for a copy of the original. Actually, the Nebraska Constitution was amended in 1988, Initiative Measure No. 403.

See http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/leg...page=index_con

Article I-1
    Statement of rights.

All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
    That's all well and good, until you look at the annotations on the page.

Section 28-1203(1) is not vitiated by the "Right to Bear Arms" amendment of 1988, is a valid exercise of the State's police power in reasonable regulation of certain firearms, and does not contravene this provision. State v. LaChapelle, 234 Neb. 458, 451 N.W.2d 689 (1990).

The constitutional right to keep and bear arms is subject to reasonable regulation by statute if the statute does not frustrate the guarantee of the constitutional provision. State v. Comeau, 233 Neb. 907, 448 N.W.2d 595 (1989).
    So, I've got the right to keep and bear arms. But it can be reasonably regulated, as long as the regulation doesn't frustrate the guarantee. Well, I've gotta say, living in Omaha, I'm frustrated as hell!

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I was shocked that you were unable to find anything on CA, NY and NJ after all they are all so CCW friendly states. What did surprise me was that Hawaii says one thing yet is not a friendly CCW state. Interesting reading thank you.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    What did surprise me was that Hawaii says one thing yet is not a friendly CCW state.
    Hawaii is not only CCW-unfriendly. I have a son that lives there so I looked into the HI firearms laws and find them horrible. To legally buy a handgun, one must first go to the Honolulu PD to get a permit. If the applicant lives on an island other than Oahu, that entails a plane trip and consumes a full day. Then with the permit, the buyer can buy a handgun and can legally drive it home in the sealed purchase package. After that, it can be kept in the buyer's home. Virtually any subsequent movement of the pistol outside the home is illegal.

I know a man who moved to HI from CA. He already owned several handguns and when he went to the police to try to get permits to legally have them in HI, the pistols were confiscated because he didn't get the permits prior to possessing them.

Tennessee's version just got a little closer to the standard.

Self-defense bill passes both houses

The Tennessee bills will soon go to Gov. Phil Bredesen, who can sign them into law, veto them or let them be come law without his signature.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....0201/705080372
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links