CCWs among those killed or wounded at VA

This is a discussion on CCWs among those killed or wounded at VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone heard if there were any CCW holders amoung those killed or wounded at VA? If so where were their guns...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCWs among those killed or wounded at VA

Has anyone heard if there were any CCW holders amoung those killed or wounded at VA? If so where were their guns

Assistant Administrator
    I have wondered too Tom - and doubt any info on this will be in the least fast to reach the likes of us.

By law of averages I'll bet there we quite a few in the actual total student numbers - tho wonder more perhaps if any in the immediate killing zone - desperately bemoaning the fact that their guns were in some way - far far away. Maybe yes - even one or two of the victims.

Perhaps we will find out - eventually.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I read a story a news site don't remember where but there were people that wanted to carry on campus however the campus honchos threated them with termination if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    I read a story a news site don't remember where but there were people that wanted to carry on campus however the campus honchos threated them with termination if they did.
    If true, this above all other things may well represent the best way to get the policies changed. Amazing what a $100M lawsuit could accomplish if conducted properly. I wonder if the exchange with the "powers" is completely documented, pleas, denials and all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It would be the ultimate in frustration if you were in that school and had a ccw permit, but weren't allowed to protect yourself when you needed it most.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

I applaud Mikeb for his efforts at Purdue in getting his issues heard! I hope he continues at chipping away the layers of ignorance in University Administrations. His posts after his meeting with Dean of Students leads one to believe that if "he" as an individual, were to be discreet, never got caught, at least the Dean of Students would kind of abide by a don't ask, don't tell and I won't stop you.

I agree though, that Mikeb. should continue to abide by campus policies and not carry in the meantime while he continues is quest to slay the "administration."

Seems like Utah is finally on the right track!

As for lawsuits against Purdue... You reap what you sow... If there are indeed any CCW permit holders among the killed or wounded or even in close proximity to the killer, you have to have faith that they or their family's will pursue their complaint in civil court.

-Bark'n

I heard that three of the victims did hold CCW permits.

But I cannot verify that - somewhat difficult to get a second source.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I applaud Mikeb for his efforts at Purdue in getting his issues heard! I hope he continues at chipping away the layers of ignorance in University Administrations. His posts after his meeting with Dean of Students leads one to believe that if "he" as an individual, were to be discreet, never got caught, at least the Dean of Students would kind of abide by a don't ask, don't tell and I won't stop you.

I agree though, that Mikeb. should continue to abide by campus policies and not carry in the meantime while he continues is quest to slay the "administration."

Seems like Utah is finally on the right track!

As for lawsuits against VTech... You reap what you sow... If there are indeed any CCW permit holders among the killed or wounded or even in close proximity to the killer, you have to have faith that they or their family's will pursue their complaint in civil court.

-Bark'n
    Sorry, made mistake in above post in last paragraph.... I meant VTech instead of Purdue

Ron
    I also read in some report of the shooting that three of the students killed held CCW permits, but, of course ,were not permitted to be armed because of the VT "no gun" policy. Unfortunately, I don't remember the source of the story.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

me
    For once this almost makes us wish that stupid list of those with CCWs were still up. No Not at all, but that idot would have made it easier for ust to know.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

unforgenitly, their carry weapons were problly at home or locked in their cars,no good there. please excuse my gramar this morning.
    still working on my first cup of coffee.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    For once this almost makes us wish that stupid list of those with CCWs were still up. No Not at all, but that idot would have made it easier for ust to know.
    You might check here Wayback This is an archive of old websites and pages.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I find it highly unlikely that three of the victims were CCW holders. The basic numbers just don't add up. We are, unfortunately, a much smaller percentage of the overall population than that. Throw in the fact that these were all college age students, many of them under 21, and it becomes even less likely.

That said, however, I did see a BLOG post by another VT student from around the time of that incident there last year (Not the most recent incident) where he was discussing how angry he was that he couldn't carry on campus back then.

Personally, I'm of the belief that in a situation like this, where the law says you can carry, but some smaller rule says you cannot, like a rule at school or a rule that your employer puts in place, it is better to carry and risk loosing your job or your school admittance than to risk loosing your life. It just makes it more important that your ability to conceal is really effective. Truly deep concealment is called for in such a situation.

That is one reason I carry at work with the Maxpedition bag, even though it is expressly against the rules where I work. Nobody will search my bag at work, and unless my life is in danger, nobody will ever know I'm carrying. In that case, it would be better to loose my job and not my life.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Although Virginia has CCW permits, colleges may restrict weapons from their campuses. Last year, a bill was introduced in the Virginia legislature to prohibit colleges from restricting the right of state licensed CCW holders to carry on campus. The bill never passed. Here are a couple of statements from Larry Hincker, Assoc. Vice President of University Relations at Virginia Tech, in 2005 and 2006 about allowing students, faculty, and administrators who have CCW permits to carry weapons on campus.

September 5, 2006
    Imagine if students were armed
    By Larry Hincker (Assoc. Vice President of University Relations at Virginia Tech)

After the fear, and dare I say, panic from the events of Aug. 21, it is absolutely mind-boggling to see the opinions of Bradford Wiles ("Unarmed and vulnerable," Aug. 31).

I once worked for an out-of-touch manager who gave rather absurd directions. My colleagues and I would do as directed and dubbed it "malicious compliance," knowing the task to be inane and the manager's foibles would soon be apparent.

The editors of this page must have printed this commentary if for no other reason than malicious compliance. Surely, they scratched their heads saying, "I can't believe he really wants to say that."

...The writer would have us believe that a university campus, with tens of thousands of young people, is safer with everyone packing heat. Imagine the continual fear of students in that scenario. We've seen that fear here, and we don't want to see it again.

...Guns don't belong in classrooms. They never will. Virginia Tech has a very sound policy preventing same.

From January 31, 2006:

"House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

It will be a shame if any of the students or teachers had a CCW but were not allowed to have a gun on campus and died due to this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links