Best non-resident permits?

This is a discussion on Best non-resident permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey all, I tried to do a search on what states have the non-resident policies and reciprocity. Unfortunately when I searched it for some reason ...

Thread: Best non-resident permits?

hey all,
    I tried to do a search on what states have the non-resident policies and reciprocity. Unfortunately when I searched it for some reason it only searched the word "permit"! So if this was already discussed at length I'm sorry but... Anyone know which states have the best non-resident permits? I'm looking to basically be able to travel without having to go "naked"

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

thanks,
    APBT

The web site Handgunlaw.us is pretty good. It has a CCW Map feature that allows you to identify the states where you have licenses, then you can see the impact of places you can carry. The way I think of it, what's "best" depends on how many of the states you travel to actually are covered by the states whose licenses you intend to acquire. Not all states allow out-of-state licensing, but this CCW Map thingy allows you to navigate which states' licensing to acquire to give you the best coverage.

For me: my home state, Utah, Florida. Those three give stellar coverage for where I choose to travel. Otherwise, I don't travel there. Works for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Depends on where you want to carry. My choice was Utah because of a couple states it got me versus Florida. You live on the east coast so you may find that Florida is better for you. ccw9mm provided the links where you should be able to figure it out.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

+1 for Florida and Utah

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The web site Handgunlaw.us is pretty good. It has a CCW Map feature that allows you to identify the states where you have licenses, then you can see the impact of places you can carry.
    handgunlaw.us also has links for "Who Honors My Permit," which addresses some non-resident permit issues in the .pdf file (http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf) and more specifics on "Non-Resident Permits" in another .pdf (http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/N...ntPermits.pdf).

All told, handgunlaw.us may be the best one-stop source for this type of information.

Good luck!

When researching this, make sure to check the state's laws regarding non-resident permits for traveling through their state.

While your state of residence may honor the out-of-state permit, another state you're wishing to travel to/through may not. Some states only recognize your permit if it is from your state of residence.

For example, I have an Arizona permit. When I move to Texas, TX will allow me to carry concealed using my AZ permit. But, when traveling to Kentucky to see relatives, LA may not honor my AZ permit because it wasn't issued by my state of residence.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Handgunlaw.us is in error in stating that Colorado honors non-resident licenses only if the bearer is a resident of the state of issue.

Checking the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's page on CCW reciprocity and the applicable Colorado Revised Statutes reveals no such caveat.

Sites like handgunlaw.us are useful as a quick check, but the final word MUST come from a first hand review of the actual state statutes and regulations. Those being now widely available through official on-line sources, I find no reason not to double check. In fact, I may place a call to the CBI and the CO AG next week to confirm.

That is how I found out that Ohio residents have no duty to retreat, are immune from civil liability, and may use deadly force while defending themselves in their home contrary to much "expert" advice.

Personally I find that LEOSA is the best "Non-Resident" CCW.

I would like to see it as a Federal Law that CCW Permits must have "reciprocity" in all 50 States, like a Driver's License.

Biker

UT and FL are the best. I keep AZ, UT and FL.

VIP Member
    I have removed the discussion relating to Colorado CCW laws to a new thread as noted.

Please keep the thread on the topic that the original poster asked about. Otherwise we lose other valuble info because we cannot find it buried in another thread.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Sponsored Links