Shame on me for exposing my weapon.... - Page 3

Shame on me for exposing my weapon....

This is a discussion on Shame on me for exposing my weapon.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like a small fortune went into putting that security array in place . . . Why not just move to a nicer area? (I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Sounds like a small fortune went into putting that security array in place . . . Why not just move to a nicer area?

(I know that crime happens wherever it wants to. I'm just wondering why you didn't clear out to where that kind of element doesn't live right across the street . . .)

Great story, though. Glad it worked out that way.

Very good story and glad it worked out.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I always open carry on my property. Doing yard work and whatever else. Not to show my weapon really on purpose, but rather if I needed it, it would be much easier to get to and it is more comfortable to OC. When I first bought my house I had couple neighbors give me an odd look. But I make a point in knowing my neighbors, and have informed them that I carry whenever possible. They all seem comfortable with me OC'ing. Last week I saw the guy across the street with a Glock on his belt, he came over and asked me for a good place to take the CCL class. So really OC'ing actually made my neighborhood safer by gaining a good guy rather than causing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Sounds like a small fortune went into putting that security array in place . . . Why not just move to a nicer area?

(I know that crime happens wherever it wants to. I'm just wondering why you didn't clear out to where that kind of element doesn't live right across the street . . .)

Great story, though. Glad it worked out that way.
    Easy enough to answer that, peacefuljeffrey. This is a good neighborhood, lots of older retired folks and typical small town closeness with the neighbors. Someone gets sick and all of a sudden there is a lot of home cooked food showing up..... all that kind of 'Mayberry' stuff.

The house across the street is the only 'bad' house in several blocks in either direction. Only happened because the lady who owns it lives 135 miles away and has no interest in the house besides collecting the monthly rent. We hope she learned a lesson with this latest group, but who knows?

Sure it would be easy to move, but my house is paid for, title free and clear. Why should I have to be the one to go in debt again because of azzhole renters across the street ? My wife and I are retired and do not plan or have any desire to go back into the work force just to pay more house payments on a new house that we don't really need.

Wife's grandfather was a carpenter here many, many years ago and he built this house in 1921. Although it qualifies for a historical marker, we have not applied for one because we don't want the house listed in the registry to where folks will come by and want to look around. When we did a major remodel job back in the mid 80's, every attempt was made to keep it looking exactly as it has for so many years. We kept it as original as we could, right down to pull chain light fixtures throughout the house.

I just finished building a 30x40 garage out back that is in reality my 'playroom' and workshop for all my gun and Harley stuff. Hard to walk away from that since it is my pride and joy.

Myself and other neighbors have made offers to the lady who owns the house for her to sell it to us. If we could buy it cheap enough, we would bulldoze and bury it, then turn the property into a small park like setting. But.... she wants way more than the house is worth, claims to be keeping it for income tax purposes. Her son is a hot shot realtor where she lives now, he has also tried to help us and get her to sell it and get out from under it, he has had no luck either.

As far as the amount of money spent on home security.... well, it is all tax deductible and it provides more peace of mind than monetary value.
    Last edited by DaveT; April 30th, 2007 at 10:20 AM.

Senior Moderator
    Great story, I hope your new neighbors are better.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Awesome story Dave! Glad you got the intended results.

Great story, DaveT. Glad to hear someone isn't about to let morons run their neighborhood. My wife and I live in an older neighborhood that has a lot of great old homes with good people in them, but unfortunately there are also some rentals that attract the lazy, no-good types as well. I can understand why you would rather beef up security instead of running off.

Sounds like things went very well for you there Dave, and I agree with your sentiment. I have lived in my house for 8 years, and the house across from me is a rental.

Now I know the owner, and we have both come to an understanding. He doesn't rent to someone he wouldn't want living across the street from him, and I don't knock on his door at 0300.

I try to keep my house and yard up, and expect no less from my neighbors, as they do the same (they keep theirs up and expect me to). I refuse to move because of some scumbag neighbor, especially a renter.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Great story.

I would like to hear more about your security set-up, what you have, what it cost, and how it runs.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

good for you, and this reminds me of the old saying that

"an armed society is a polite society",

but in this case it is more like

"when the good pack heat, the scum retreat!"

VIP Member
    Enjoyed the story. Glad it turned out positive..

Good job!

What is hard for someone from Va. to fathom is that the great state of Texas does NOT allow open carry. I have a picture of texas in my mind:

John Wayne
    The Alamo
    The old west

Maybe a flawed picture.

The more I read on these forums, the more I do agree with not openly carrying, however. Incognito does seem preferable, albeit lacking in the expression of one's right to support the Second Amendment.

You Texas folks should come to Va sometime and watch people walk by you in Walmart carrying a pistol on their hip. No one's freaking--but, I do live in kinda the country.

I am a fan of open carry. I do conceal, though, but not religiously.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links