Shame on me for exposing my weapon....

This is a discussion on Shame on me for exposing my weapon.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This story is about a rent house across the street and low class 'renters from Hell'. Lady who owns the house lives far off in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This story is about a rent house across the street and low class 'renters from Hell'. Lady who owns the house lives far off in Lubbock, all she cares about is the rent money, never does anything to fix up the house. As a result, there have been an endless series of very strange and often annoying folks living there.

Most recent renters have been the worst. Ex con with a girlfriend 20 years younger than him, she just had his baby so they now have the state and welfare money to live on. They did not pay rent for 6 months, but always had lots of cigarettes, booze and beer. Loud parties, four barking dogs and lots of friends with loud cars and trucks who just had to peel out and leave rubber whenever leaving.

He fancies himself a mechanic and always working on friend's cars and trucks.... sometimes all night long under worklights in the front yard.

I subscribed to PublicData.com and began running license checks and owner background checks on all the folks who showed up across the street. Lots of convictions, felons, and lots with extensive arrest records for drug use. I kept a list of license plates and printouts, all went to our local Police Chief who ran his own checks and confirmed that there was a lot of drug convictions among the group. One plate out of Abilene was identified as that of a suspected big time drug supplier.

Our local community has very few enforceable ordinances for many of the things the renters could have been cited for in other communities..... like the junk cars, knee high weeds, changing oil in a car and dumping it in the front yard, etc.

After my wife was almost attacked by one of their dogs running loose, I did have a talk with our Police Chief about that and he was in agreement that if it happened again, there would be no problem with me discharging a weapon inside the city limits. The renter must have seen the light when I came out of the house with a very black, tactical style 12 gauge shotgun after I heard my wife screaming at the dog to get away. The dog retreated just as she got back up on our porch and I made it outside. After that the dogs were secured in a chicken wire pen in the front yard, but that did nothing to prevent the 24 hour a day barking.

I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. I chose an afternoon when the renter, his girlfriend, and several friends were all drinking out in the front yard with more than enough loud music playing for the entire neighborhood to hear. I backed my truck out of my garage, and within plain sight of all of them, I began to clean all the windows on my truck, being sure to walk around it several times with my right side in plain, open view. Why ? Because I was wearing my Glock 23 in an OWB pancake open and exposed. I even chose a tan holster with a black belt, just so the holster and gun would stand out against my white t-shirt. Also had double mag pouch clipped on to the belt. In no time at all, they noticed and things got very quiet...... and I mean very quiet. All the friends left quietly (for the first time), and the folks who live there went inside.

Police Chief spoke with me the next day, laughing his head off. He said the dude looked him up and told him about the crazy old guy across the street wearing a gun the day before. Police Chief explained to him that I had a legal right to carry and that open carry on one's private property was perfectly legal. He also threw this in..... he told the renter that he was surprised that they did not know I am retired and used to be the Police Chief here........

We left for Lubbock last Sunday evening because I had to be at a hospital there at 0530 Monday morning for spinal/disk surgery. When we returned on Thursday, the renters from Hell were gone and the house now sits empty. I saw the Police Chief yesterday and asked him about it, he replied that he knew they moved, something about not wanting to live across the street from an ex-cop.

Guess they wanted to keep all their activities from certain folks........

So yes, I exposed my weapon on purpose. Shame on me, I guess, but the smile is still on my face !

He also threw this in..... he told the renter that he was surprised that they did not know I used to be the Police Chief here.
    And that Sir is priceless!!

I seriously expected this story to have an unhappy ending, I thought that because of the thread title it would involve you getting cautioned for brandishing.
    Congratulations for having the 'testicular fortitude' (thanks P95carry for that one) to actually deal with this trash and make a positive difference with no damage done, and I'm glad you have a good ally in the C of P.

Great Story, deserves to be in the 'success stories' forum.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Good job.

So CC does discourage criminals! We can add this to the statistics!

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Yes Shame on you for exposing your self to the renters from hell. Sounds like the perfect ending.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Most excellent story.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Assistant Administrator
    Great Dave - and this is one of the situations where judicious exposure in a legal manner (on your property) has obvious potential benefits. No doubt your backgorund helped too

Glad the slimes have left and hope you will maybe get a better class of tenant in there next time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thumbs up How to deal with trash Dave t's way.

I've had the same problem with trash renters and landlords. You can't reason with the renters or the landlords. I like the way you dealt with the problem. some times the LEOs hands are tied in a situation like this and you have to go on your own. Congrats on the way you took care of things. Your police cheif is a good one with a terriffic sense oh humor. Don't let him get away. Keep this guy in office. This cracks me up. You should write a Dear Abby type column on how to deal with trashy tenants.

pax
    Great story. Thanks for sharing it.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

This story is about a rent house across the street and low class 'renters from Hell'. Lady who owns the house lives far off in Lubbock, all she cares about is the rent money, never does anything to fix up the house. As a result, there have been an endless series of very strange and often annoying folks living there.
    Sounds like the house across the street from me. Too bad this is, you know, Illinois.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Now that was a nice exposure!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

That's just fantastic.

good for you

Good work--it's nice to keep the scumbags off balance and on the run.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links