concealed at the airport

This is a discussion on concealed at the airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be picking up the inlaws at the knoxville airport. Is it legal to carry there if you are not going past ...

Thread: concealed at the airport

concealed at the airport

I am going to be picking up the inlaws at the knoxville airport. Is it legal to carry there if you are not going past security check points.

2. Remove Ads

I don't believe it is legal but I would seek a better informed answer from the Airport Information via phone.
    It is my understanding that Airports are government property, leave it in the car.

Just because it's government owned (generally by an airport authority) doesn't necessarily mean it's off limits for carry. I wouldn't rely on anyone at the airport to give you good information on whether carry is permitted there, they're probably not knowledgeable about the subtleties of concealed carry laws. For instance, the Salt Lake City International Airport has no-weapons signs posted at the terminal entrance in clear violation of state preemption law. Take a look at your state's laws and if you still have questions, consult a lawyer or call the state AG's office.

I was referring specifically to TN/Knoxville and did add a disclaimer that I wasn't sure.

As far as I know it is legal to CC in an airport as long as you don't go past security. I know for a fact that here in Texas, and in Arizona you can carry as long as you don't go past the security.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Depends on the facility and the state. Oregon law specifically states airports are not off-limits and the preemption law means the Port of Portland cannot alter that. However, the secure areas are beyond Oregon's control and are verboten for concealed carry. YMMV, in your area.

I lived in a small town in California for years. IIRC, I think it's a no-no at the entire facility, once you get out of the parking lot and into the carpeted/public areas. At least, that was the case at the small airport in the one-horse town where I lived. But that may well have been because the secure area was simply 15ft away, and not a 3/4mi walk down some hallway. I don't recall specifically. Didn't fly, myself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ditto for ccw9mm's comments in Colorado. Of course, two or three folks "forget" where they put their weapons in the house - and they turn up in their carry-on luggage. Someone just made the paper here last week. Numbskull. In Colorado you're fine until you try to pass security, then your day goes downhill real fast.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

If I remember correctly (I made a mental note to myself as my wife regularly flies there) Atlanta, GA airport has off limits including the car park, she can't leave a gun when she flies.
    Some very strange laws in GA.

I know for a fact that CCW is legal at some airports in the non secured area. However this doesn't mean people or airports recognize the legality of it.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I know for a fact that CCW is legal at some airports in the non secured area. However this doesn't mean people or airports recognize the legality of it.
    Well, if you do happen to be in an airport where its legal and you are seen with it, you may be pulled aside and asked a few questions...I would just simply say "Its my right to carry a weapon and I'm licensed to do so. I was in no way causing any harm to anything or anybody..I'm not even breaking any laws."

They will hold you for a bit while they look into it, but in the end you will be let go with your weapon
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    Well, if you do happen to be in an airport where its legal and you are seen with it, you may be pulled aside and asked a few questions...I would just simply say "Its my right to carry a weapon and I'm licensed to do so. I was in no way causing any harm to anything or anybody..I'm not even breaking any laws."

They will hold you for a bit while they look into it, but in the end you will be let go with your weapon
    OC or CC?

If the law dictates CC then nobody should see the weapon period.

Here in TN we have OC and the original question may have pertained to that, whereas Dman's point was regarding CC.

Nevada law prohibits carry at the airport.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Colorado law allows it, federal law prohibits it within the secure area.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ok. First I agree with the person who said to contact the airport. Its real easy to call the local airport police station and just ask. They'll be strait with you.

Now that said, I did a little research of public records (aka Google) and found an "opinion" (aka the law) by the TN Attorney General on February 9, 2004, to a specific question of "Possession of Firearms on Publicly Owned Property". http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/law.../op2004-20.pdf

To explain a little, when cities, counties, DAs, police or basiclly anyone has a question about a specific law for the state they ask their state AG for an "opinion" which once rendured becomes the law, unless it is overturned by the states supreme court.

The AG of TN, "opined" that by TN lay (TN Code Ann 39-17-1314) that yes a local government entity may prohibit the possession of a firearm on any property possessed by the public (aka government).

Now is Knoxville a private or public airport. According to their website it is a public one, formerly owned by the City of Knoxville and now owned by the Metropolitan Knoxville Airport Authority.

My bet is that you will find that carrying of firearms by anyone (including CCL holders) on TYS (the airport code for Knoxville Airport) will be prohibited. Unfortunatly their website does not specify.

You can call Knoxville PD at 865-215-7210 or email the airport at info@tys.org.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

In Louisiana CC and OC is legal in the areas before the security checkpoints. However people that open carry at the n.o. airport have been approached by the police and threatened with arrest.

Links