Colorado non-resident permits?

This is a discussion on Colorado non-resident permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New thread...

Thread: Colorado non-resident permits?

Colorado non-resident permits?

New thread

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Handgunlaw.us is in error in stating that Colorado honors non-resident licenses only if the bearer is a resident of the state of issue.

Checking the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's page on CCW reciprocity and the applicable Colorado Revised Statutes reveals no such caveat.

Sites like handgunlaw.us are useful as a quick check, but the final word MUST come from a first hand review of the actual state statutes and regulations. Those being now widely available through official on-line sources, I find no reason not to double check. In fact, I may place a call to the CBI and the CO AG next week to confirm.

That is how I found out that Ohio residents have no duty to retreat, are immune from civil liability, and may use deadly force while defending themselves in their home contrary to much "expert" advice.

Personally I find that LEOSA is the best "Non-Resident" CCW.

I would like to see it as a Federal Law that CCW Permits must have "reciprocity" in all 50 States, like a Driver's License.

Biker

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Handgunlaw.us is in error in stating that Colorado honors non-resident licenses only if the bearer is a resident of the state of issue.

Checking the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's page on CCW reciprocity and the applicable Colorado Revised Statutes reveals no such caveat.

Sites like handgunlaw.us are useful as a quick check, but the final word MUST come from a first hand review of the actual state statutes and regulations. Those being now widely available through official on-line sources, I find no reason not to double check. In fact, I may place a call to the CBI and the CO AG next week to confirm.

That is how I found out that Ohio residents have no duty to retreat, are immune from civil liability, and may use deadly force while defending themselves in their home contrary to much "expert" advice.

I was told that the Governor didn't sign the reciprocity bill letting it become law without his signature. So Colorado will now only honor permits from residents from the states it honors. If I am in error can you point me in the right direction. I tried to find the bill and can not find it on the Colorado state web site. The Governors office says nothing about the reciprocity law and signing or not signing it.

The bill did pass and was sent to the governor. I can not find anything about it since it went to the governor except from two different people that said it became law without his signature. Thanks and
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Gary, all I know is that the currently available version of the Colorado Revised Statutes does not qualify non-resident license validity. In other words, I have not found any secition of the CRS that requires that the holder of a NR license be a resident of the state that issued said license.

What the Governor signed or did not sign does not matter much. If it isn't in the CRS, it ain't enforceable.

This is what the CBI says:
    Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213) states that Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permittee is 21 yrs of age or older AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state.
    It doesn't say anything about the residency of the person presenting an out of state permit or license. Colorado only cares that the license you present is in your name, that you are at least 21, and that the state that issued it honors Colorado licenses.

UT and FL are the best. I keep AZ, UT and FL.

Regarding the Colorado issue of non resident permits. According to
    Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (www.rmgo.org) Senate Bill 34 is on the Governors desk awaiting either signature or veto. I slept through civics class so I don't know if it can become law without a signature or does inaction constitute a pocket veto.
    They know what this is all about - and what do I have? Nothin' but you egg-suckin', chicken stealing gutter trash with not even sixty rounds between you. We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them.

-The Wild Bunch

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLI...le=034_enr.pdf

is the bill as passed and sent to the Governor. Here is what it says.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Colorado:
    SECTION 1. 18-12-213, Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended to
    read:
    18-12-213. Reciprocity. (1) A permit to carry a concealed handgun
    or a concealed weapon that is issued to a person twenty-one years of age or
    older by a state that recognizes the validity of permits issued pursuant to this
    part 2 shall be valid in this state in all respects as a permit issued pursuant
    to this part 2 IF THE PERMIT IS ISSUED TO A PERSON WHO IS:
    (a) TWENTY-ONE YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER; AND
    (b) (I) A RESIDENT OF THE STATE THAT ISSUED THE PERMIT, AS
    DEMONSTRATED BY THE ADDRESS STATED ON A VALID PICTURE

I can't find a thing on the governors page about this bill and the Legislature doesn't even have it going to the Governor but news reports stated it was sent to the governor. Then I had two people say that it became law without his signature. I am not positive about Colorado law but in some states not signing a bill is the same as vetoing it. But in some states not signing it allows it to become law and the Governor is not on record as signing it but allowing it.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Gary, the Senate Bill 07-034's official history does not show it to have reached the Governor's desk.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...9?opendocument

If the Bill was indeed signed or allowed to become law without signature (as it happens in Ohio), it may be that it has not yet gone into effect. Many states have a statutorily defined wiating period between the Governor's signature and the law becoming valid (90 days in Ohio's case).

Those are good reasons why its language is not reflected in the current Colorado Revised Statutes. Until the Statutes are officially revised, Colorado continues to recognize NR licenses with whom they have reciprocity regardless of the bearer's actual state of residence.

VIP Member
    I copied the posts from the original thread that was totally derailed into a discussion on Colorado CCW laws. This thread may now be used for that discussion.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the Gov does.

Links