Virginia governor closes gun loophole

This is a discussion on Virginia governor closes gun loophole within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Virginia governor closes gun loophole By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 12 minutes ago RICHMOND, Va. - The governor on Monday closed the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia governor closes gun loophole

By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 12 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - The governor on Monday closed the loophole in state law that allowed the Virginia Tech gunman to pass a federal background check and buy the weapons used in the massacre.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine issued an executive order requiring that a database of people banned from buying guns include anyone who is found to be dangerous and ordered to undergo involuntary mental health treatment.

Seung-Hui Cho had been ordered to undergo psychiatric counseling after a judge ruled that he was a danger to himself.

But because Cho was treated as an outpatient and never committed to a mental health hospital, the court's decision was not entered into the database that gun dealers must check before selling a weapon.

The database "should include any determination that someone is mentally ill and so dangerous to himself or others as to warrant involuntary treatment," Kaine said in a statement.

Cho, a 23-year-old Virginia Tech senior described as a troubled loner, bought his guns legally through gun shops. He gunned down 32 people in a residence hall and a classroom building before killing himself.

No motive has been established for his rampage.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I saw that. I'm having trouble understanding why we're letting foreign nationals buy guns, anyhow, regardless if they're nuts or not... it's not an issue of race... just of common sense in the 21st century.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Assistant Administrator
    Thing is - if a guy is legal - ergo a permanent res' then he has most of the rights we enjoy.

I rebuilt my gun collection to a great extent while having my green card, and before I gained citizenship.

So - seems it is less an issue of being able to buy guns .... plus we know guns can be ''aquired'' by anyone with enough cash, contacts and determination ........... more the state of mind aspect, which could apply to anyone at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I wonder why we allow foreign nationals buy guns. If they are on a program to become a citizen it is one thing but a green card (work visa)holder is not someone I would allow to purchase weapons. In fact I believed they could not. Maybe the governor of Virginia should have looked at this?
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post

If they are on a program to become a citizen it is one thing but a green card (work visa)holder is not someone I would allow to purchase weapons.
    Why? Are you implying that just because they are not full citizens that they shouldn't be able to defend themselves?

If they are here legally and are abiding the law, are not mentally unstable, and are not criminals, I see no issue in allowing them to purchase firearms.

just my opinion.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% pro people having the right to defend themselves. It just gives me pause because 100% of the 9-11 hijackers were in the country legally. Hmmm....
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Well, thank goodness that loophole has been closed. I'm sure that Cho would have been stopped had this been in place a couple of months ago... (dripping with sarcasm)

"Welcome to America, you 99.99999% who are hard-working and well-meaning! We will not let you defend yourself. Enjoy your stay."

I know, I know... preaching to the choir but doggone it, this stuff torques me off. Cho was sick and intent upon harming others. He would obtain the tools he needed regardless of the laws put in place.

Cuban cigars are illegal in the U.S. but I bet we could all go find a box this afternoon.

Crystal meth is illegal but I'd bet both yours and my bottom dollars that it is for sale from someone within 20 miles of where you are when you read this post.

Ok, climbing down from soap box. Thanks for listening.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    Well, thank goodness that loophole has been closed. I'm sure that Cho would have been stopped had this been in place a couple of months ago... (dripping with sarcasm)
    The bottom line is that had he been, you'd have never known! Ironic....... Ain't it?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    The bottom line is that had he been, you'd have never known! Ironic....... Ain't it?
    Point taken, but the bottom line is that imho we would still have heard about this guy at some point - the details of how he killed may have been different though.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

You're right PapaScout.

On top of that, just wait and watch some anti gun judge order a man to undergo psychiatric counseling during a divorce where his spouse said (with no proof required) that she thought he was a danger to her.

After all, the anti's don't believe in the 2nd Amendment anyway. So what's the big deal to them?

Talk about the law of unintended consequences. The conservatives were ticked off at Kilgore so we ended up with Kaine.

Remember he was the one as Richmond mayor who paid for the million moms march bus trip with city money.

Chip, chip, chip. Hear that? Just a little more chipping away at our rights.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Cho, a 23-year-old Virginia Tech senior described as a troubled loner, bought his guns legally through gun shops. He gunned down 32 people in a residence hall and a classroom building before killing himself.
    I'm getting tired of hearing that he bought them legally. HE DIDN'T. He lied on the form, which was illegal to do. Just because the information wasn't available through NICS doesn't mean it didn't matter. He never should have been able to buy the guns, but he lied to get around the system (not that I would have expected him or anyone to tell the truth on that form if they want the gun but aren't supposed to be able to buy it).

GRRR.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    On top of that, just wait and watch some anti gun judge order a man to undergo psychiatric counseling during a divorce where his spouse said (with no proof required) that she thought he was a danger to her.
    Anyone that has not yet been involved in a divorce listen up to what was just said by PaulG. During my divorce from ***** wife #1, she filed a compliant accusing me of threatening to shoot her friends -- not true at all, but in today's climate I probably would have had my firearms confiscated. After all, anyone that owns AR-15s, AKs, and thousands of rounds of ammunition must be crazy -- at least to a female judge. Another increasingly common divorce tactic for women is an accusation of sexual assult on a daughter. This one didn't happen to me, but I have seen it happen to a lot of other men.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    Point taken, but the bottom line is that imho we would still have heard about this guy at some point - the details of how he killed may have been different though.
    And again.........

While the loss of any life taken "early" is deplorable, if he hacks up 20 people with a machete the Brady group doesn't get any more ammunition to use against me!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I did what I preemptively could in a divorce situation and had all of my guns locked up at a mutual friends place until the divorce was over and emotions cooled. It didn't matter to the legal system but I think it showed my Axe... errrrrr... excuse me... my X, that I was serious about it not being an issue.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    I saw that. I'm having trouble understanding why we're letting foreign nationals buy guns, anyhow, regardless if they're nuts or not... it's not an issue of race... just of common sense in the 21st century.

Maybe because he was a US Citizen that happened to be of Korean Heritage. Actually no maybe about it - he was a US citizen! And your comment about race was?????
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links