CCW shooting Qualification?

This is a discussion on CCW shooting Qualification? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the course i tookin mich, was 3 hrs. range time. safe handling and 50 rds at the target. also 5 hrs. of classroom time. fairly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW shooting Qualification?

the course i tookin mich, was 3 hrs. range time. safe handling and
    50 rds at the target. also 5 hrs. of classroom time. fairly simple
    and very informative.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    the course i tookin mich, was 3 hrs. range time. safe handling and
    50 rds at the target. also 5 hrs. of classroom time. fairly simple
    and very informative.
    50 rounds at the target? Does this mean you had to hit the target 50 times out of a certain number? Or just firing 50 times and showing the instructor you could do so correctly and safely while drawing and re-holstering the gun?

In my class we shot 150 rounds and took 5 hours of class time. There was no test. The instructor just made sure we knew what we were doing. We did not have to qualify on anything. We all shot at the same target. Everybody passed as far as I know.

I am in Oakland County.

When I took my CCW class it was 2, 7hour days. The shooting part was not hard at all but, I think the objective is to show the instructor that you can safely handle a firearm.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Lead Moderator
    MI does not require a certain score. It will depend on the instructor to set the course qualifier. My class was ridiculously simple. Hit a paper plate at 10 yrds with the majority of your rounds.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    In KY if you can hit the broad side of a barn you're OK.
    +1 on this one.

Gigidy Gigdy!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

krmnnghia,youll find out that the ccw class is very simple. basicaly
    show up,shoot a few rounds,attent the class and youre good to go.
    going in front of the county gun board is even easier. a few simple
    questions and you get your cpl issued that day. i personenal thought
    it was a joke how they handled it. kinda like handing out speeding tickets at the indy 500.out of 30 people all but one preson got they
    permit. anyway goodluck and welcome aboard.

Safety is the primary concern in training. Oddly enough the women as in a husband wife training together, the woman will outshoot the man. Why? She listens to the instructor and has not developed bad habits. Knowing what you don't know is the begining of knowledge.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    160 rounds in 3 sessions over 2 days, TQ-15 large silhouette target. Various ranges probably out to 7 yards. We had make a certain minimum score in the third session to pass the class, which everyone did.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    The Alaska CCW range qualification goes something like this

Starting from the 3 yard range line, four rounds, into a 9 inch ring on the chest area of the sillouette target, and two in the head area.

After that, you move back to the 5 yard line and put four rounds into the 9 inch ring of the chest area. The process is repeated at the 7, 10, and 15 yard range lines. The total possible points for the qualification is 110, and I managed to get all 110.

Follow ALL of the instructor's commands, and there should be no problem. The class I took, the instructors were patient, and very helpful to everyone. They spent extra time helping out people who were having accuracy problems, and worked with them until they were getting decent groups.
    You mean you don't have to shoot at a bear silhouette in Alaska?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

in Indiana if you can sign your name on the permit app. you're in! love this state

In SC, at least in the course I took, it was 10 shots at 5 distances for a total of 50 rounds.

Min was 5 yards and max was 25 yards. Had to score 70% or greater. It was encouraged to use "point and shoot" technique. All shots from the Ready position and on command from the Instructor. Normaly a single shot and back to ready. Then double shot and back to ready, then another double shot,. Reload and repeat. Then move to next station. Started at the close range 5 yard and worked back.

Written test was score of 70% or better. A full 8 hours including Range time. Class portion even went on during lunch. Pizza was brought in so we could continue while eating.

Depending on where you are, I don't think it matters. I took OH back about 5 months ago. We did two distances -- 7 feet and 12 feet. NOTE: That's *feet* not yards/meters. We shot at full, man-sized silouettes. You can't miss. Even if you've never fired a weapon before.

Someone on the firing line made a joke about "you'd have to be blind to miss"-- and the instructor stopped us and told us the story about how they put a blind man through the course last year.

No sh*t. A blind man.

They didn't want to do it (honestly, who wants a blind man waiving a gun around) but the guy shows up at the police station to take the classes. The instructors say "no way" and send him on his way. He lawyers up and the fun begins. A few calls from the Chief to the State attorney general result in: "Chief, he's got a point", said the AG. "There's no language in the ORC (Ohio Revised Code -- our State laws) -- nothing that says anything about being blind. Unless you want to fund an ADA lawsuit (Americans with Disabilities Act) out of your department's budget ... you've gotta push him through."

So they did !!!

They lined him up on the firing line. One instructor on either side. Physically touching them so he was pinned between the two and couldn't rotate off target. They hung a little bell center-mass on the target. Strung a length of dental floss from the bell on the sillouette to one of the instructors standing beside him ... and he qualified!!!

Now, somewhere in OH, is a blind man with a license to carry a gun.

I sh*t you not.

At least, as told to me by various members of the Hamilton Police Dept. who were instructing the class. I'm not sure if they were pulling my leg or not, but they all had enough detail on the story that it was very likely true.

So -- at least where I am, literally, a blind man with no firearms experience whatsoever can pass the qualification day on the range.

Nevada qualification

CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT QUALIFICATION COURSE OF FIRE

36 rounds on a style B27 full sized target

At 3 yards:
    6 rounds right hand only, reload, fire 6 rounds left hand only
    Time limit - 60 seconds

At 7 yards:
    12 rounds freestyle (fire 6 reload, fire 6 more)
    Time limit - 60 seconds

At 15 yards:
    12 rounds freestyle (fire 6 reload, fire 6 more)
    Time limit – 60 seconds

70% (252 points out of 360 possible) required to pass
    For firearms holding only 5 rounds an equivalent 30 round
    course will be used (70% is 210 out of 300 possible).

I thought Max was 15 yds ( bad mem i guess )
    But everything else sounds the same
    I took it at ATP Guns in Goose Creek last year
    Where & when did you take it?

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    In SC, at least in the course I took, it was 10 shots at 5 distances for a total of 50 rounds.

Min was 5 yards and max was 25 yards. Had to score 70% or greater. It was encouraged to use "point and shoot" technique. All shots from the Ready position and on command from the Instructor. Normaly a single shot and back to ready. Then double shot and back to ready, then another double shot,. Reload and repeat. Then move to next station. Started at the close range 5 yard and worked back.

Written test was score of 70% or better. A full 8 hours including Range time. Class portion even went on during lunch. Pizza was brought in so we could continue while eating.
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links