CCW shooting Qualification?

This is a discussion on CCW shooting Qualification? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just begun to teach my wife how to properly handle a gun and fire accurately I am curious what to expect when we ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW shooting Qualification?

CCW shooting Qualification?

I have just begun to teach my wife how to properly handle a gun and fire accurately I am curious what to expect when we take our CCW course next month. I don't believe I will have any problems but I would like to prepare my wife for it.

So...What type of qualifying did you guys have to do during your CCW range time?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

LOL oops please move this to the proper forum. I suck :(

Can't speak for Michigan's requirements.. When I took my class for my CCW a couple weeks ago, I fired 10 rounds.. My instructors were looking for "safe" gun handling, and that all 10 rounds hit the target... Not too tough.. heck, my wife did that good on her first range visit this weekend..

IIRC, we did two distances. 3 yds and 7 yds. Two reloads at each distance so 30 shots total. Biggest rule: Don't point a gun at the instructor :-)

Of course, that was after a good safety lecture and conversation and all the classroom time. I think the qual was more about safety and capability than score since MN does not have a strict QUAL written into law. Just has to be a live fire exercise.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

In KY if you can hit the broad side of a barn you're OK.

Your state more than likely has a Department of Public Safety web-site. If so, you will probably find something about CCW requirements there.

My state's web-site gives details about how many rounds you must fire, the time limit to fire those rounds, and the distances used . It even tells you what target you will be using.

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

Broad side of a barn, definitely.

The Texas CHL course of fire is-

From 3 yards: 1 round in 2 seconds, five times; 2 rounds in 3 seconds, 5 times; 5 rounds in 10 seconds, 1 time.
    From 7 yards: 1 round in 3 seconds, five times; 2 rounds in 4 seconds, 1 time; 3 rounds in 6 seconds, 1 time; 5 round in 10 seconds, 1 time; 5 rounds in 15 seconds, 1 time.
    From 15 yards: 2 rounds in 6 seconds, 1 time; 3 rounds in 9 seconds, 1 time; 5 rounds in 15 seconds, 1 time.

Scoring is based on a standard TX-PT human silhouette, with everything upper chest and head counting as 5 points, abdomen 4 points, everywhere else on the silhouette 3 points. Minimum passing score is, I believe, 175.

I was two-thirds sick when I shot my qualification, shaking, really feeling crummy... and I shot a perfect 250. I hadn't been to the range in a year, either.

You CAN be removed from the course and thus failed if you don't practice safe range tactics... follow range officer commands, finger off the trigger, all that jazz. You can probably fail more easily by acting the fool on the range than by actually shooting poorly (remember, 150 of 175 points come from the *3 yard line*... you're almost touching the target).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krmnnghia View Post
    LOL oops please move this to the proper forum. I suck :(
    Done. It happens.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The Alaska CCW range qualification goes something like this

Starting from the 3 yard range line, four rounds, into a 9 inch ring on the chest area of the sillouette target, and two in the head area.

After that, you move back to the 5 yard line and put four rounds into the 9 inch ring of the chest area. The process is repeated at the 7, 10, and 15 yard range lines. The total possible points for the qualification is 110, and I managed to get all 110.

Follow ALL of the instructor's commands, and there should be no problem. The class I took, the instructors were patient, and very helpful to everyone. They spent extra time helping out people who were having accuracy problems, and worked with them until they were getting decent groups.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    In Kansas, you must take an 8 hour course, pass a test with 100%, and then shoot 25 rounds at an FBI Q target... 5 rounds at 3 yards, 10 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds at 10 yards. 18 out of 25 rounds must fall on the target. Needless to say, everyone I qualified with got 25 out of 25.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

VA you just shoot 6 rounds at 7 yards and then another 6 rounds at 7 yards.

Hit the paper and you are good to go.

VIP Member
    In kentucky, if you cant pass the range test you dont need a handgun.
    I think I had to hit the target ( big target ) 11 times out of 20 shots. Its a joke.

WA has no qualification requirement, but I did have to 'qualify' at a local range in order to have the priveldge of training realistically.

That qualification entailed ~30 shots from concealment at 7 yds on a standard IDPA type target. All 30 had to be on the target with no safety violations during presentation, shooting, and re-holstering. In my case it was 10 singles, 10 doubles, 10 misc (2+1, etc). If you want to shoot for speed a shot timer was also required (3 sec par for the first shot). Again, a single safety violation was a DQ.

The chief RO and one of his deputies stood behind me on either side observing and when I passed I was allowed "free range" (pun fully intended).

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Awesome guys! Glad I am getting a lot of responses from different states. I know I am probably not the first to wonder about this so hopefully we can get most of the states to chime in!

I Hear In Kentucky...

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    In kentucky, if you cant pass the range test you dont need a handgun.
    I think I had to hit the target ( big target ) 11 times out of 20 shots. Its a joke.
    It's just like Florida...

You have to shoot two times at the ground without missing...

Although I do not know if this is true!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links