Texas Gov Calls for Everywhere Carry

This is a discussion on Texas Gov Calls for Everywhere Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; tvsjr, Now THAT I have a problem with. In other words, what the hell good is the right to carry Statewide if the State creates ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Gov Calls for Everywhere Carry

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    tvsjr,

Now THAT I have a problem with. In other words, what the hell good is the right to carry Statewide if the State creates for itself the right to steal everything you carry to protect?

I've never been a fan of eminent domain. It's one of those things that our elected lawyers/politicians use to target property seizure victims.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I sent the folowing e-mail to the reporter that did the piece on Perry and to every other reporter on all three local networks:

Dear Mr. Willis

I just watched your report on Gov Perry's statements yesterday on Concealed Handguns. It was evident that you do not understand the Concealed Handgun License (CHL) laws.

The gun issue is not going to go away, and you would do yourself a favor (not to mention a public service) if you were to learn the laws so that when you are reporting on the issues you could do it without looking like you don't know what you are talking about.

You should be aware that the CHL laws prohibit drinking any amount of alcohol while you are carrying.

You should be aware that a CHL Holder can already carry on 6th Street as long as he does not go in to a 51% premise. You should know what a 51% premise is!

You should be aware that it is not illegal to carry in a church, or a hospital, unless a 30.06 sign that is in compliance with the law is displayed. You should know what a 30.06 sign is and exactly how it has to be displayed.

You should be aware that during the 2005 Texas Legislative Session the traveling rule was define in such a way that almost anyone can legally carry a concealed gun in their car or truck as long as they are traveling and that traveling is almost anywhere you go in your car.

You should know how many CHL holders there are in Texas and how many of them have been arrested for anything since the law was passed.

I realize that the majority of journalist are for some reason from the far left wing of the liberal party and are anti gun for what ever reason, but that does not mean you can not do honest informed reporting on a subject even if you do not agree with the laws.

You could probably make a pretty good name for yourself if you became the subject matter expert on Texas CHL Laws so when it was time to report on them at the national level during the next crisis you would be the person that knew what the CHL Laws were.

You should go ahead and take the CHL Class and maybe even take a trip to a gun range so you will have a better understanding of the subject.

TJ
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Or driving.
    Or under water!

Seriously though, it'd be one heck of a fight but I sure wish someone had the political bravery to at least TRY! At least he said it out in the open.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    tvsjr,

Now THAT I have a problem with. In other words, what the hell good is the right to carry Statewide if the State creates for itself the right to steal everything you carry to protect?

I've never been a fan of eminent domain. It's one of those things that our elected lawyers/politicians use to target property seizure victims.
    Exactly. Eminent domain existed for things like the Eisenhower Interstate system. With the TTC, it's different... we already have roads running to Mexico. All the TTC will become is a high-dollar boondoggle, the largest entryway of illegals, and a major drug-running highway. If they do construct it, I won't drive on it. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some low-level civil unrest.

Google around a bit... if you're a fan of individual's rights (as I suspect most of us are), you won't like what you see.

It would be a great step! And others would follow.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I give him much credit for having the 'nads to face the critics on this one. Good luck, Texas.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Way to go Texas. Let's hope he can get some support. The good CCH states always end up helping the more restrictive ones over time...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

I wonder if Perry will make a similar stand on open carry?

B.

I'm actually not for open carry. As a retail business owner, I think concealment is more of crime deterent than open carry. Also, with open carry, others could have the opportunity to take the weapon from you.

Good on Gov. Perry. I hope he is successful.

Here's another name to remember when considering worthy folks from Texas. Susanna Gracia Hupp. God bless her!! If it weren't for her fight to make concealed carry legal after the murder of her parents, us Texicans would still be unarmed victims in waiting.

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

I almost close to say, "AH RIGHT! Score of Texas!".

However, I personally, think of idea of carrying inside the hospital isn't a good one mainly in regards to safety for the patients. If you miss and hit our oxygen valves that are embedded in every wall or if you hit a patient it could spell disaster. Other than that, I would like to carry everywhere i go.

God...I too love Texas.

William
    Colorado

Go Texas!

I only wish our governor here in Arizona would do the same (doubt it). There are about 14,400 state-certified peace officers in Arizona right now. Given administrative staff (lieutenants and above), days off and 3 shifts a day, that's only about 3,600 cops out in the streets a day for the entire state of 6 million people. Imagine if you could let loose the almost 90,000 CCW holders of Arizona out there as well? Add into that the remaining 10,800 cops and the countless corrections officers from the jails around the state and DOC who would be able to carry off-duty under CCW laws, now you've got something. ;O)

Just with CCW holders and cops... Person to gun toter ratio under current law: 1666:1. Person to gun toter ratio under a carry free law: 57:1.

Cheers.
    Last edited by soundwave; May 1st, 2007 at 02:33 PM.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Makes sense to me. As far as places that serve alcohol - I don't drink so why should I be disarmed and vulnerable just because I'm eating in a place where others might be drinking.
    I think it should be okay to carry in such a place and change the law to be like drinking and driving - you can't carry if your point whatever alcohol - not just because your around others drinking.
    That's like saying you can't drive because you've been around other people who have been drinking.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    All it will take is a couple good examples of where the streets don't run with the blood of innocents. After being able to hold those up for all to see as concrete examples of the benefits, it would have a high likelihood of spreading just like the trend toward allowing concealed carry.
    I think that's overly optimistic.

Over the last two decades, in every state that (eventually) passed a shall-issue concealed carry law, there was vocal anti-gun opposition (private citizens, media, legislators) who declared that blood would run in the streets. In each of those cases, the opposers could have been informed by the examples of all the states that had already passed shall-issue laws and did not have corresponding bloodshed.

The lesson is there for those who will see it. We already know that the previous experiences in various states were ignored by those who wanted to still, irrationally, insist that we'd have bloodbaths.

So no, "a couple of good examples" is probably going to be just as useless in convincing die-hard anti-gunners as the examples we've already had have been. It's unfortunate, but true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links