Texas Gov Calls for Everywhere Carry - Page 3

Texas Gov Calls for Everywhere Carry

This is a discussion on Texas Gov Calls for Everywhere Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by skippythenurse I almost close to say, "AH RIGHT! Score of Texas!". However, I personally, think of idea of carrying inside the hospital ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Texas Gov Calls for Everywhere Carry

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    south Florida
    Posts
    3,168
    Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    I almost close to say, "AH RIGHT! Score of Texas!".

    However, I personally, think of idea of carrying inside the hospital isn't a good one mainly in regards to safety for the patients. If you miss and hit our oxygen valves that are embedded in every wall or if you hit a patient it could spell disaster. Other than that, I would like to carry everywhere i go.
    I personally would be willing to wager it. It "could" spell disaster; but if there's a raging, armed psychopath in the hospital wandering around shooting people to death, isn't that already a disaster?

    First of all, if HE misses, he could cause the same disaster you're worried about happening due to a CCWer.

    If he gets engaged by a CCWer, perhaps his shooting rampage could be shortened by dozens of rounds he might otherwise have continued to fire. Let's say he had seven more 15-rd. mags in his bag. In walks Mr. CCW, and now the killer isn't gonna be able to fire more than whatever's left in his gun, hopefully.

    Sure, Mr. CCW might miss and hit an oxygen line. But the risk is no greater than of Mr. Killer doing the same. And you wouldn't call for COPS to be disarmed upon entering the hospital to engage the killer, right? Can't they miss with a few shots, too?

    I don't think that your example had been thought-through enough as it stood. What do you think in light of what I said?


  2. #32
    Member Array kjmillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    55
    AND, Perry just signed the Emergency Powers Bill preventing confiscation of legally owned firearms and ammo during emergencies and natural disasters!!!!
    "The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one."
    Malcolm Forbes

  3. #33
    Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    All it will take is a couple good examples of where the streets don't run with the blood of innocents.
    We've had plenty of them already. The strawman came up every time a state went shall-issue CCW and it always has failed.

    We also have plenty of grim evidence of what happens in "gun free" zones.

    The problem lies in that the majority of Americans are either uneducated or incapable of stopping their emotions from controlling their thought process.

  4. #34
    Member Array skippythenurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Houston, TEXAS!!
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I personally would be willing to wager it. It "could" spell disaster; but if there's a raging, armed psychopath in the hospital wandering around shooting people to death, isn't that already a disaster?

    First of all, if HE misses, he could cause the same disaster you're worried about happening due to a CCWer.

    If he gets engaged by a CCWer, perhaps his shooting rampage could be shortened by dozens of rounds he might otherwise have continued to fire. Let's say he had seven more 15-rd. mags in his bag. In walks Mr. CCW, and now the killer isn't gonna be able to fire more than whatever's left in his gun, hopefully.

    Sure, Mr. CCW might miss and hit an oxygen line. But the risk is no greater than of Mr. Killer doing the same. And you wouldn't call for COPS to be disarmed upon entering the hospital to engage the killer, right? Can't they miss with a few shots, too?

    I don't think that your example had been thought-through enough as it stood. What do you think in light of what I said?
    Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree with that you're saying, if one CCW carrier was in that situation and was able to stop that psychopath from continuing his rage of fury, then by all means. However, I believe it'll look worse on the CCW carrier if he hit a patient or an oxygen pipe. Think about this, the psychopath shoots a patient that was not his initial target, you'll think, "well, he was on a rage bin". He hits an oxygen pipe and half the floor of the ER explodes, you'll think, "well, he was on a rampage and lost control of himself and so he destroyed a floor." BUT, a civilian CCW hits a patient trying to hit the psycho, people will say, "yeah, he saved us from the psycho but now the family of patient John are going to sue Mr. Skippy because it was his bullet that killed their grandfather who was only in the ER for a laceration." I don't want to be Mr. Skippy who accidentally hits Patient John. If I hit the oxygen pipe, and there is an explosion (NO matter how small or big), who are they going to fire and sue for property damage? As far as cops, well, everybody assumes that a cop is going to miss anyways. Lets face it, the less damage caused, even if it was to defend the hundreds of patients in the hospital, the less likely the CCW person will get sued because in this country, everybody sues for everything.

  5. #35
    Member Array BlueMerle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth Tx. or On a Ship!
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree with that you're saying, if one CCW carrier was in that situation and was able to stop that psychopath from continuing his rage of fury, then by all means. However, I believe it'll look worse on the CCW carrier if he hit a patient or an oxygen pipe. Think about this, the psychopath shoots a patient that was not his initial target, you'll think, "well, he was on a rage bin". He hits an oxygen pipe and half the floor of the ER explodes, you'll think, "well, he was on a rampage and lost control of himself and so he destroyed a floor." BUT, a civilian CCW hits a patient trying to hit the psycho, people will say, "yeah, he saved us from the psycho but now the family of patient John are going to sue Mr. Skippy because it was his bullet that killed their grandfather who was only in the ER for a laceration." I don't want to be Mr. Skippy who accidentally hits Patient John. If I hit the oxygen pipe, and there is an explosion (NO matter how small or big), who are they going to fire and sue for property damage? As far as cops, well, everybody assumes that a cop is going to miss anyways. Lets face it, the less damage caused, even if it was to defend the hundreds of patients in the hospital, the less likely the CCW person will get sued because in this country, everybody sues for everything.
    I understand your concerns, but you need to remember that "Mr. Skippy" has a choice of when, where, and IF he shoots. You are under no obligation to shoot... No Matter What!! Hopefully people that have a CCW have the good sense not to start shooting when there is a possibility of hitting someone other than the target or of hitting something potentially dangerous.

    Unlike the psycho, we value human life and will not act in a careless manner. Holding your fire until you have a clear shot is by far better than hitting innocent people. And I believe that the vast of majority of CCW's would act accordingly. JMO

  6. #36
    Member Array skippythenurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Houston, TEXAS!!
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyman View Post
    I understand your concerns, but you need to remember that "Mr. Skippy" has a choice of when, where, and IF he shoots. You are under no obligation to shoot... No Matter What!! Hopefully people that have a CCW have the good sense not to start shooting when there is a possibility of hitting someone other than the target or of hitting something potentially dangerous.

    Unlike the psycho, we value human life and will not act in a careless manner. Holding your fire until you have a clear shot is by far better than hitting innocent people. And I believe that the vast of majority of CCW's would act accordingly. JMO
    I think that statement is something we can both agree on.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    759
    I got a reply from the Newscaster I e-mailed above:

    Hi Mr. Scott…

    Thanks for the email and the feedback. Unfortunately, I think you missed the essence of the story last night. After reading your message, I think you may have a predisposed sensitivity to the issue. Here’s why I feel this way:

    1. This was not a story about CHL laws. It was a story about the Governor of Texas advocating a change in current policy. That is news, whether it’s the Trans Texas Corridor, The TYC, the selling of the Lottery or the HPV vaccine. When the Governor says we need to change the way we do things, its news.

    2. You state, “The gun issue is not going to go away”. However, the story last night did not mention the gun issue, it focused on the Governor’s statements about change, and we interviewed citizens who agreed with him and disagreed with him. So the statement “The gun issue is not going to go away” is just nonsensical.

    3. Then you state, “The CHL laws prohibit drinking any amount of alcohol while you are carrying”. Again, the story (you can read the verbatim online) did not ONCE say anything remotely close to people carrying guns and drinking alcohol. So, your statement about CHL Holders drinking alcohol doesn’t make sense. Further, you stated, “you should be aware that a CHL holder can already carry on 6th Street as long as he does not go into a 51% premise”. Let me assure you, again, the story did not say CHL Holders cannot carry on 6th Street. The script SPECIFICALLY read, bars and restaurants. And yes, I’m familiar with the 51% issue. And I can further assure you, the overwhelming majority of 6th Street establishments fall into this category. That’s why I put it in the story. But I did so only AFTER reading the Concealed Handgun Laws and Selected Statutes, which states “On the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69 or 74 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, and if that business derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption.” (Section 104.06 Alcoholic Beverage Code) But again, this argument is pointless, because the story does not say anything about CHL Holders drinking alcohol while carrying.

    4. You stated, “it is not illegal to carry in a church or hospital unless a 30.06 sign that is in compliance with the law is displayed”. I can again assure you, St. David’s, Seton and Brackenridge all have these signs. In fact, P.C. 46.035 (4) of the Statute states, It is illegal “On the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administrator, as appropriate.”

    5. Finally, you make arguments about the Texas Legislature, the “traveling rule” and how the majority of journalists are for some reason “far-left-wing-liberals” who do dishonest reporting if we don’t agree with the laws. I simply cannot dignify that with a response. But, so you know, I’m not a “left winger”, I also will tell you I own guns and am taking the CHL test at Cabella’s this weekend.



    The story was about Governor Perry’s statements about policy change. NOT the “gun issue” going away, NOT “CHL Holders drinking alcohol”, NOT the “51% rule”, NOT “30.06 signs”, NOT “traveling rules” and certainly NOT about “left-wing journalists”. I honestly believe if you watch it again, without a predisposition of emotion, you will see that. I do, honestly appreciate your feedback and I’m hoping if you watch this story again, you will see the points I’m making. Maybe the points you are making are stories that need to be told. I would be happy to tell them. But last night’s story was not it.



    Regards,

    Chris Willis

    KXAN-TV
    Timmy Jimmy

    If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

    "Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

  8. #38
    Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,548
    Can we import your Governor from down there in Baja Oklahoma?

    Or, better yet, just swap y'all out? We'll give you a Brad Henry for a Rick Perry.

    As Will Rogers (a Great American and Great Oklahoman) once said, "it'd raise the IQ's of both states...."
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."


    Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

  9. #39
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,516

    Follow?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    It would be a great step! And others would follow.
    Heck, let's follow Utah...they can already have CCW in ALL schools, and it hasn't been a problem...

    Stay armed...stay safe!

    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  10. #40
    Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    500
    Let's just do as Alaska does... no license needed.

  11. #41
    Member Array skippythenurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Houston, TEXAS!!
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    Let's just do as Alaska does... no license needed.
    I agree with that.

  12. #42
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I got a reply from the Newscaster I e-mailed above:

    Chris Willis
    KXAN-TV
    I didn't quote the whole thing for obvious reasons.....

    .....but, too bad this guy can't see that his story IMPLIED through the information given and people interviewed that allowing people to carry in these places would do more harm than good; am I the only one besides Timmy that got that implication? This is the crud thats spread through the media implying these things.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  13. #43
    Member Array Spartan_117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23
    I sure would like to see this happen.
    Best,
    JP
    D/FW, TX

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Who Is From Texas & What Do You Carry?
    By Glock40Texan in forum Member Meeting Place
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: July 11th, 2010, 10:52 PM
  2. Open Carry - Texas
    By FireAir7215 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
  3. Arizona carry with Texas CHL
    By tytl in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM
  4. Texas CCW Law. Can I carry? . . .
    By eyeCalypso in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM
  5. Texas Carry
    By jofrdo in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM

Search tags for this page

texas everywhere law chl

,

texas governor rick perry supports chl everywhere and anywhere in texas

Click on a term to search for related topics.