Open Carry in Colorado

Open Carry in Colorado

This is a discussion on Open Carry in Colorado within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be doing some hiking in Colorado this summer, and I am thinking about open carry. Last summer I kept the gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Open Carry in Colorado

I am going to be doing some hiking in Colorado this summer, and I am thinking about open carry. Last summer I kept the gun in my pack, but I would rather have it a little more accessible. Has anyone here ever carried open while hiking in Colorado?

As far as I know it's legal everywhere except Denver county. Though personally I don't spend a lot of time in the mountains so I am not sure how well it would be received.

My guess is the closer you get to Boulder the more alarm you will cause.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    The only place I've hiked is the National Park, and of course, that has it's own special set of rules.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

If you're worried about people's reaction to open carry, one possibility to consider would be the Wilderness Safepacker. Some people on this board seem to think it looks too much like a man-purse, but I think it would look at home on the belt of a backpack or with other hiking gear.

That thing is huge, but would blend in better with a pack. However, OC is acceptable outside of the Denver/Boulder area, especially in the mountains and other rural areas.
    "Don't get stuck on stupid!" -Gen. Honore in NOLA

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont honestly think you would hit any issues at all in any rural area of colorado . That being said why would you open carry ? I conceal carry even on my ranch , other than special circumstances . I have both long barreled pistols , and large pistols which dont fit with concealed , but as a rule i am armed , and you wont see it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

What's to be gained by displaying your firearm? I hike often and always carry concealed even in out of the way areas.

William
    Colorado

In general when hiking in the woods.....

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    What's to be gained by displaying your firearm? I hike often and always carry concealed even in out of the way areas.

William
    Colorado
    I am not as much worried about two legged predators as the four legged kind. (Although some parks are being infested with drug growers and illegal alien types.) If I am someplace where I might encounter a bear I don't want to be fumbling around with a backpack to retrieve my cannon. I would also be carrying a larger gun and caliber than I do for CC purposes.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Joe , as an aside you do understand that if you purchace a small game licence , and are activly engaged in hunting ( be it vermin or elk ) you may conceal in colorado without a permit dont you ? Also you need to understand that if you have a handgun just stuffed into a pack colorado will consider it a concealed weapon , if its secured in a case inside a pack you may get by . As stated In any rural area Open carry is not a problem , or even an issue till you find some granola heads on the trail , then you may well expect a visit from rangers or local LE . Most likely rangers and LE who work here will tell you " Dont do that , your scareing folks " . They wont have solutions for you for this other than dont carry open , if you do we will be called again . Hiking , ect.. its dont ask dont tell . Colorado has a fine open carry law ( if you can leagaly own the handgun you can leagaly carry it that way in almost all of the state resident or not ) . With that being said , again why? It is without a dobut your right , but it also opens a can of worms ( in the pain in the butt sense not the legal one ) that there is no need to in most cases .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I open carry quite a bit in Colorado while engaged in various outdoors activities, as do many of my friends. Don't see much reason to conceal my handgun from the birds and bees. And in southern Colorado, it's not a big deal. I would agree that's it's probably not a good Idea up in north hippieville (Denver, Boulder and Ft. Collins area) though.

LOL blue No one would comment on me if i open carried , but why do it , i spent a lot of money to go among the civilized folks and i will use and keep in practice with the gear . The entire front range ( and the hills close to it ) are imho different than the old colorado tho , and i will no longer advocate open carry , its legal , but why scare anyone .

Why?, usually if I'm out in the woods I'm packin' a 4-6" revolver, I'm skinny (big cylinder+bony hips+IWB+long walk=ouch) and don't want to be diggin past gear to have to get to my sidearm (I generally have alot more gear on when I'm doin' outdoors stuff). I've never "scared" anyone or had any problem with it. And if anyone did I think my general reaction would be for them to go polinate themselves. Granted I would be courteous and polite, but I don't think somebody gettin' their panties in a bunch over the sight of my holstered revolver is gonna keep me up at night. Though it may provide for some laughs at the campfire. I'm inclined to believe if you're going to move to or visit rural America you should expect to be around firearms. If you don't want to be around them, don't come here. Simple as that.

I'm sorry I don't know that carry or hunting laws in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Joe , as an aside you do understand that if you purchace a small game licence , and are activly engaged in hunting ( be it vermin or elk ) you may conceal in colorado without a permit dont you ? Also you need to understand that if you have a handgun just stuffed into a pack colorado will consider it a concealed weapon , if its secured in a case inside a pack you may get by . As stated In any rural area Open carry is not a problem , or even an issue till you find some granola heads on the trail , then you may well expect a visit from rangers or local LE . Most likely rangers and LE who work here will tell you " Dont do that , your scareing folks " . They wont have solutions for you for this other than dont carry open , if you do we will be called again . Hiking , ect.. its dont ask dont tell . Colorado has a fine open carry law ( if you can leagaly own the handgun you can leagaly carry it that way in almost all of the state resident or not ) . With that being said , again why? It is without a dobut your right , but it also opens a can of worms ( in the pain in the butt sense not the legal one ) that there is no need to in most cases .
    The question was posed about open or concealed carry while hiking. I assumed the poster could carry legally and was simply asking if one option over another was better and for what reason.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I want to carry open, because I'll be hauling a pack, with a large hipbelt and shoulder-straps, so my hip holster and shoulder rig are out of the picture. Instead, I was thinking about my drop-leg rig, which hangs on my thigh. It is kind of a scary-looking thing, I guess, because it is all black and tactical and has an extra mag pouch. Not sure why appearances make a firearm more dangerous... But I figure the same people who are scared of flash-hiders and bayonet lugs and folding stocks are some of the same people I will see on the trail in Colorado. So I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into this out there. Honestly, I don't care if people are worried about my gun, I just don't want to have to deal with people calling LE or park rangers on me.

Also, I will be hiking in the southern part of Colorado, near Durango.

And, I'm not worried about bandits hiding along the trail, or even bears or cougar. I am just someone who likes guns and who wants to be prepared for anything. Carrying a gun should be as natural to a law-abiding citizen as teeth on a dog. Without a gun, you are just a toothless old dog. I'm looking forward to the day when guns are a normal thing, and seeing a gun on a hip is about as scary as seeing a watch on someone's wrist.

Just be careful if you're going into a state/national park or monument. There can be different laws there, if you plan on visiting these types of areas, check the law before you go. Otherwise go ahead and pack proudly. LE will not be a problem if you are within the law, especially if you're courteous and respectfull with them.

As for ever running into "crunchies" sure, lots of times. Sometimes they give you the big-eyed stare, just smile, wave, bid em' good day and go about your business. I've probably walked by hundreds of crunchies totin' a rifle, shotgun or handgun and never had a problem. If they ever decided to cause a problem while I was hunting or fishing, I'd call the game warden and THEY would get a ticket (it's illegal for them to interfere in lawfull hunting/fishing activities). Don't sweat it, as long as you make sure you are in fact within the law, and you're not up in the big urban areas. You're not gonna have a problem.
    Last edited by blueyedevil; May 1st, 2007 at 05:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links