Quick access safe

This is a discussion on Quick access safe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Winchester electronic gun safe that I picked up at Bass Pro. It provides peace of mind....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick access safe

I have a Winchester electronic gun safe that I picked up at Bass Pro. It provides peace of mind.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Get a dog, they're not called Man's best friend for nothing.
    Yeah, I have two Bassett Hounds
    Noone is coming in unannounced

I have one Bassett and one Blue Tick Coon Hound.

It's a hound thing! They sleep, they bark, they lounge. Good alarms too!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I do, it brought peace within the family (there are no little ones), and took an unnecessary $100 out of my pocket.

The 6 digit code is something no kid will be able to get into. I'd just recommend storing the pistols inside with the safety ON. One of the rug rats might find it and rattle it, and I'd hate to hear about something awful happening involving a gun when a safety wasn't engaged.
    That's a pretty bold statement about the code...don't be so trusting of your technology. Kids may darn well surprise ya. I started busting various combo locks around age 6 or 7ish(I was in 1st grade) from the various safes my father had around the house. Everything from the turn-dial and/or knob kind to pushpads. He had a safe with a 4 digit combo that I opened in one afternoon. I was a kid with lots of energy and nothing but time. I had the time to try an endless supply of possible combinations. It took me all afternoon but I got it...Just some food for thought. Oh and no I'm not a bank robber by trade .
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    I bought a Honeywell safe and bolted it at eye level in my closet. The safe has the electronic keypad lock and is easy to use.

It will hold my 1911, 642 and some other stuff like my gps, knives etc.

I keep my ammo ontop and away from the children.

The whole unit only cost 70 bucks and I used 3/8'' lagbolts to secure it to the studs. It's not going anywhere.

here's a link

http://www.everysafe.com/Honeywell-2050-HNW1027.html
    Well I feel much better now, I got the same safe for 40 bucks, and mounted it tonight, had to rearrange the closet a bit. I particularly like the idea that with too many attempts it goes into a time delay status, and the key override may come in handy one day if needed.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Well I feel much better now, I got the same safe for 40 bucks, and mounted it tonight, had to rearrange the closet a bit. I particularly like the idea that with too many attempts it goes into a time delay status, and the key override may come in handy one day if needed.
    40 bucks?

WHAT?

DAMN! story of my life.

As I said I mounted mine at eye level. Makes it easier to get at when you need it.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I use a Vline safe for a CCW "arming station" hanging under the kitchen cabinet.

I also have an Inprint Pistol Vault. This thing works very well for the first few prints. Beware that it does a sequential search for finger prints, so do your index 1st, then your wife's index, your middle, your wifes middle. It holds 14 prints but the last ones take a LONG time to open. The first one though is about 2 seconds.

He had a safe with a 4 digit combo that I opened in one afternoon. I was a kid with lots of energy and nothing but time. I had the time to try an endless supply of possible combinations. It took me all afternoon but I got it...Just some food for thought. Oh and no I'm not a bank robber by trade
    The school's ice-cream freezer also had one of those 4-digit locks. Took about 15 min.
    Last edited by madengr; May 2nd, 2007 at 11:03 PM.

I bought a small lockbox with padded interior and punch code opening (with key backup) at Walmart for $25. Can't beat that deal. I drilled 2 holes in the bottom and bolted it to my bedside table. I unlock it before I go to bed and then lock it when I get up. It is big enough to hold 2 of my XD's (45 for me and 9mm for my wife). I also rigged up a couple of eye bolts and a cable lock to lock it to my seat frame in my vehicle when traveling. Excellent value and great peace of mind.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I have two Browning Safes...one short, one tall...
    If I'm home, I have a gun on my person or 2' away...
    When I leave the house, one gun is on my person, everything else is in both safes along with other valuables.

In a rare instance when there may be kids in the house, any weapon not on my person get locked up.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Good idea, some of us must lock guns somehow [ by law ] if children live in the home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links