Quick access safe

Quick access safe

This is a discussion on Quick access safe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a small electronic safe to put my pistol in at night or when I need to take it off at the house. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick access safe

Quick access safe

I just purchased a small electronic safe to put my pistol in at night or when I need to take it off at the house. Previously, I have not put it in a safe or any place that is locked at night, just usually left it on top of the fridge or someplace else out of reach from the now 4 year old. His turning 4 is why I have decided to go with a quick access safe. This is not intended to keep someone from stealing the pistol, simply to keep it out of the reach of little ones. The safe is big enough that I will be able to put wife's GP-100 in it along with my carry pistol, so if I am not home and she needs access she has ready access to a loaded gun, instead of going to the other pistol safe or the long gun safe and getting something else out.

My question is, how many of you use this method of storage for your carry pistol when you have taken it off at home?

I understand that many fall into the catagory of living alone or without children present so, it really doesn't matter where you all place yours. This is really intended for those that have concerns of children or others coming into contact with a loaded weapon.

Thanks
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am a proponent of gunsafeing the kids rather than kidsafeing the guns . With that being said i am a grandpa now not a dad , but back when i had kids that age I gunsafed my kids , ( they thought of a gun just like a power tool , and didnt play with dad's circular saws either ) others i could not do that with so , when other childeren came over they were restricted to public areas of the house , and handguns not on the person were secured by handcuffs or legirons to immovable objects . Long guns were just unloaded and out of casual sight .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I do, it brought peace within the family (there are no little ones), and took an unnecessary $100 out of my pocket.

The 6 digit code is something no kid will be able to get into. I'd just recommend storing the pistols inside with the safety ON. One of the rug rats might find it and rattle it, and I'd hate to hear about something awful happening involving a gun when a safety wasn't engaged.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I have a small electronic wall safe mounted right next to my bed on the wall with a flash light mounted on top of it. That's where I keep the night time gun. If I am not carrying my gun, it is in a safe. I have three children ranging from 8 to 18. They know never to touch my guns but I feel that if they don't have the temptation they can't do it. I am the parent and it is my responsibility to make sure they are out of reach. I have also replaced the door knobs on my bedroom with key locks for use with outside access doors. My wife and I have that key on our key rings. If we are not going to be home we lock up the bedroom so nobody can get in.

I, too, have a four year old (and a four month old) and went with the bedside electronic safe as well (a Gunvault Multi - http://superpageshosting.com/gunvaultcom/gunvaultmulti/.

Inside the gunvault are my two primary carry guns - SIG 239 and Kahr PM9 - as well as my night gun - a SIG 226.

Also, I keep thhe keys to my Lifejacket LJ3 ( http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2323.php) that I keep on my Remington 1100 12ga (18" barrel, 7 shot tube extension and Speedfeed stocks, loaded with #4 Buck) which is kept under the bed.

My home defense plan is to retrieve the 226 and have my wife use the keys that were in the Gunvault to open the Lifejacket on the shotty. I would then switch to the shotgun, time permitting.

I concur with others that I intend to thoroughly familiarize my children with the guns so as to avoid the stigma of them being "taboo", but I still intend to keep them locked to keep them safe from bad decisions or other children who are not as well aquainted.

I have a similar setup even with no kids just for my own peace of mind.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

My kids are all grown, but we have our first grandchild. Right now when I am awake, I have one gun on my person and two more locked in the safe. The only time my gun is not secured is when it is in my nightstand when I am sleeping. I lock the bedroom door so it can still be accessible to me when the young 'uns stay over.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Ron
    I have an electronic safe by my night table which I keep open at night so I have immediate access to my gun. In the morning it gets locked. My two other carry guns are in another safe by the entrance to my garage, which is how we come and go from our house.

We have two young grandchildren, who are frequently at our house. So, a gun is either on me or is locked in a safe. And, although the safes are electronic they did came with keys, in case the batteries go bad. The keys are on a chain worn around my neck at all times, so there is no way one of my grandchildren can accidently find the key.

I don't usually carry in my house, so during the day the guns are all in the safes. I realize that if I had a home intrusion attack, I probably could not get to a gun quickly enough, but a home invasion is highly unlikely where I live, and that is the trade off I have made in order to have peace of mind about a possible tragedy involving one of my grandchildren. They are very young now, and when older I will teach them about gun safety, but I will still adhere to my policy because even the best of kids can do foolish things, and the consequences are
    too horrible to contemplate.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have a total of four small gun safes (two double tray and two single tray) mounted through out my two story home. They all are GunVaults and have worked flawlessly since I purchased them about 7 years ago.

There is one next to my bed with a Surefire ontop, on in my home office (again with a Surefire ontop) and the other two are located so that all my handguns are secured but accessable.

This does not count the big safe secured into the beams of the house holding all my longguns and pistols not in the GunVaults.

To me its the only way to go. If its not on my hip, its locked in a safe.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I bought a Honeywell safe and bolted it at eye level in my closet. The safe has the electronic keypad lock and is easy to use.

It will hold my 1911, 642 and some other stuff like my gps, knives etc.

I keep my ammo ontop and away from the children.

The whole unit only cost 70 bucks and I used 3/8'' lagbolts to secure it to the studs. It's not going anywhere.

here's a link

http://www.everysafe.com/Honeywell-2050-HNW1027.html
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have a 2 year old and a "Jr." on the way. I have taken the steps of having an electronic safe in the nightstand by the bedside.

That being said, I still do believe to "gunsafe" my children. I feel that that is the best way to go. My concern primarily lies in one of my children's "ungunsafe" friends or my niece being over. My neice is never around guns (her mother is anti-gun) and her mother gets upset everytime I teach her firearm safety and rules in my house. Firearms can hold a magical "mystique" to children who have only been taught guns are bad. That is why I will continue to have my guns secured in some manner, even after my children demonstrate firearm responsibilty to me.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I use a gunvault bedside. I can't sleep with a weapon of any sort not secured ever since I read about the guy not far from here who broke into a home while the family slept, picked up a hammer that he found in the home, and killed all 4 people in their sleep with it.

As for leaving a gun in it while I'm away, I don't. The gunvault is sitting on top of the nightstand and I figure that anyone who breaks in is taking it with them. All they'll get is a mag or 2 and some ammo. I won't say where I keep the gun, but I put a cable lock through it, and the only ammo for it is in the gunvault.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I use 2 two-gun safes. One next to my bed and the other in my computer room. My safes have a lite that comes on when they are opened for nite time operation. In each is a gun with 1 in the chamber and a flashlight for those bump in the nite times.

All this was done in response to children coming to my house for visits or extended stays. Is mostly for peace of mind.

SY

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I use a gunvault bedside. I can't sleep with a weapon of any sort not secured ever since I read about the guy not far from here who broke into a home while the family slept, picked up a hammer that he found in the home, and killed all 4 people in their sleep with it.
    Get a dog, they're not called Man's best friend for nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links