Atlanta Carry

This is a discussion on Atlanta Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need the info on carry in/around Atlanta GA. Via Rail, public gatherings etc... The info I got is about as clear as mud. Restuarants w/ ...

Thread: Atlanta Carry

Atlanta Carry

Need the info on carry in/around Atlanta GA. Via Rail, public gatherings etc... The info I got is about as clear as mud. Restuarants w/ alcohol and the like. I have checked PDO but some of that isn't all clear either. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Check out http://www.georgiapacking.org/

Unfortunately, the public-gatherings thing won't be clear no matter how much you read. But it is clear that you can't carry in bars or restaurants that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. You also can't carry on buses or rail.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Ask yourself, what would you do if you needed your weapon to save your life while riding MARTA?

I'd rather be alive to face a jury (if it ever gets to that) than to die a "good citizen" obeying an immoral law.

It just doesn't seem logical to be disarmed in the likely places where trouble may develop. I actually had planned on taking MARTA but maybe I need to rethink transportatiion.

Just get a rent-a-car for the day. Less hassle, get around town quickly when you want, and the money you'll spend on a compact rental vs. MARTA ain't spit really...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

It's times like these that makes me think maybe it's not worth the trouble to carry. Pretty much everywhere a person wishes to go is off limits. Aside from the woods (not likely to get attacked by a tree) where is it actually okay? You really need to be selective on places you frequent and even then the public gathering thing is a ringer.

no carry on public transit

Avoid MARTA it is a felony to carry in the parking lots and stations. It is a ratty system anyway you are much better off driving. Places that serve alcohol are off limits. However if you are going to be anywhere downtown or in the actual city of Atlanta you'll want to carry. Lots of mugging and street crime. Be wary in the downtown hotel district tourist get ripped off all the time. Be extra alert in the area around CNN Center and all parking decks. High number of bums and thugs.

my issue is we may be taking MARTA into town. might have to convince to get car instead.

Unloaded and stored in your baggage is ok on MARTA.

I Visited Atlanta Recently...

I recently spent a weekend in Atlanta (my wife's High School Reunion) at a nice hotel near the airport. Thirty years ago her folks had been young professionals living in College Park. She had been gone a L-O-N-G time & asked if we might drive over & visit her old neighborhood. Sure, why not.

Well, I've been in some tough places & seen some rough things...but I've NEVER (in decades of Concealed Carry) been more convinced of my decision to be armed than on this short drive. No disrespect intended to the residents, but Atlanta sadly is a city that screamed "condition red" almost everywhere we went. From downtown (watching SEC Basketball Tourney) to dinner (at a very nice restaurant) to the car to the hotel...we stepped over empty liquor bottles & around aggressive, pan-handling bums (thugs?) at EVERY turn.

I'm a life-long Southerner & over the years have always considered Atlanta an absolute treat to visit & enjoy. I no longer hold that opinion. I will avoid the city if I can & WILL be armed if I can't. Same holds true for Savanna, and Memphis, and Chattanooga, etc, etc... If my Kentucky CDWL means that's okay, good. If not? Then I'll make the conscious choice to subject myself to potential arrest. But I WILL NOT throw myself & those I love to the wolves who prey on the defense-less. Especially when the wolves roam in plain sight.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Thirty years ago her folks had been young professionals living in College Park. She had been gone a L-O-N-G time & asked if we might drive over & visit her old neighborhood. Sure, why not.
    College Park and that whole southeast area of town around the airport is pretty much the worst part of the metro area.

There are nicer area north of town.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Georgia gun laws stink. Thankfully a grassroots effort by GCO (georgiacarry.org)is on the way to make the most gun-unfriendly state in the south better.

Don't use MARTA if at all possible. It can be very dangerous. You can't carry on it, it is a felony and you could be charged with hijacking as well. The airport is off limits as well. Don't carry in any resturants/bars that sell alcohol, or anywhere that a "public gathering" (Church's, sporting events,political rally's etc. but not limited to these!) might be going on. In fact a public gathering can come to you. For example, a fight breaks out in a parking lot and a crowd assembles to watch. You are just minding you business....but this could be in the eyes of Georgia law as a violation of the "public gathering" code. Speaking of parking lots, the parking lots of restricted areas are also off limits as well. Example, Applebee's serves alcohol, so technically even if you disarm and leave it in the car you are in violation of carrying in an off limits area. I advocate that you carry but be very discrete about it and follow the law to the best of your knowledge.

www.georgiacarry.org
    www.georgiapacking.org
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; May 2nd, 2007 at 09:14 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Links