Tell...Don't Tell - Page 2

Tell...Don't Tell

This is a discussion on Tell...Don't Tell within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Euclidean I'm referring to traveling over two county lines at least Prospector. There's a 250 mile trip I make fairly often, about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell...Don't Tell

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I'm referring to traveling over two county lines at least Prospector. There's a 250 mile trip I make fairly often, about three times every two months here lately. In that instance car carry is legal as I go through at least five counties that I can name...
    Just checkin.....wanted to be sure you weren't just sitting in your car in the driveway practicing "car carry"....LOL !!

It's probably best to inform the officer, regardless of the laws in your state. If just for the simple fact that I don't want Officer "Rookie" get'n spooked by my concealed weapon.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

Like Deke, I was a Colorado resident until '88. I was living in Fort Collins and had taken a little drive down the county road toward Loveland. (don't take that wrong, it's a small town south of Fort Collins, not a favorite sorty) I ran into an impromptu roadside safety check by CHP. When the officer asked for my registration I informed him it was in the glove box, along with a loaded .45 auto. He acknowledged and told me to get the registration. After the check was completed he thanked me for warning him of the presence of the handgun and reinforced what I already knew of the law. "As you probably know, in the State of Colorado you may legally carry on your person when in your home, your automobile, or your place of business." And that was without a permit. Although the weapon was not on my person, I was still within the law. I, too, thought it wise not to surprise him by popping open the glove box and reaching toward it without warning.

In NC we're required to inform. I inform them when I'm handing my papers to him/her, either through the window of my car, or when I approach him on the shoulder when my car is broke down, blocking a lane of traffic and about to be impounded since I had to leave it and borrow a buddies truck to get the battery out of my hot rod since the hot wire grounded out and melted the teminals off the battery in the Caprice (only happened once though). Damn those side post batteries

Due to the wording it seems that we're required to tell every cop we see, but I dont bother when my car gets me into a conversation (yeah, its an old cruiser) or when I'm making converstaion in line at the gas station when someone decided to pay for ten bucks worth of gas in pennies, nickles, and a few dimes...

I also inform them that I'm not armed when I get stopped. Carry permits are linked to the DMV, so they know that I have it if/when they run my tag.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I teach my students to tell or don't tell it is up to them but to think about the situation. I also teach that If you are gonna tell then ALWAYS say" I have a PERMIT to carry a conceiled weapon. I have one on me at this time sir. What do you want me to do?" Do not ever say"I got a gun-I got a weapon-On my hip is a XXX -Or anything of this nature. It would be as stupid as mentioning the word BOMB at a airport. For me personally-I will only tell if the officer asks me to step out of the vechicle. I then will say the above before i step out. Also I teach to put yourself in the LEO's place and ALWAYS,ALWAYS, be very courtious and respectful.

In Michigan, we're required to inform if stopped. If we stop them to ask a question, there is no requirement to inform, but my experience has been it is best to do so, just so they're not surprised.

From the standpoint of other states, since my Michigan CPL is recognized by quite a few, including neighboring Indiana and Ohio, I would inform even if the law didn't demand it.

I've been stopped in Michigan 4 times since I got my permit. I informed the officers each time. None took my weapon into custody, only one asked to see my "inspection certificate" (registration) and NONE of them gave me a ticket. And one didn't even ask for my permit.

I've never been pulled over while carrying but if I was I think that unless I was asked to step out of the car it would be something I kept to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    What's interesting to me is that in Texas, if my permit ever gets here, I'll be required to tell the officer I'm a permit holder and where the gun is.
    Euclidean, you don't need to tell the LEO "where" the gun is, but he/she may very well ask.

As stated above were required to here

I used to be Mr. Disclose.

My recent problems led me to analyze the wisdom of continuing in that vein, as disclosure seems to cause me personally more problems than not.

My days of being any more helpful than required by law in such an incident are over because quite frankly I no longer have any faith in the competence of my local force.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I used to be Mr. Disclose.

My recent problems led me to analyze the wisdom of continuing in that vein, as disclosure seems to cause me personally more problems than not.

My days of being any more helpful than required by law in such an incident are over because quite frankly I no longer have any faith in the competence of my local force.
    That's too bad. My experience has been that by telling the officer, even though required to by Michigan State law, I think it has kept me from getting at least 2 tickets. Then again, perhaps I've been lucky with my LEO encounters in that practically all the LEOs I've met have been experienced, and seem to be generally more understanding of CPL holders in general. I dread the day I get stopped by an anti-Freedom Rookie LEO.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I don't *think* there is a law in TN requiring the disclosure, but I would prefer to stay on the good side of the cop by informing him. For all I know, I was pulled over because I look like the chick who robbed the 711 a couple blocks away. I'm hoping there's a lot less hassle if I'm up front.

If pulled over, I will have my license and carry permit ready to hand over before the officer even walks up to the window. (I would do the same if I was pulled over while I was a passenger.) I would keep both hands on the top of the steering wheel in plain view, turn on the interior light if it was dark, and if I have to move, move slowly.

A few years ago, my brother was stopped at a random license road block (one of those DUI things they like to do on holidays). His carry weapon was not 100% concealed, and when the trooper spotted it, he gave my brother a searing, foaming-at-the-mouth earful because he did not inform him.
    About 10 years ago I was pulled over for looking like someone who had just robbed a 7-11. Luckily I was working for the local PD at the time so forgo the whole lay on the ground, look down the barrel of a pistol. Best to disclose, and in MI it is required.

Here in Kentucky, you don't have to inform the LEO if you are CCW (of course unless asked) and supposedly , only the Kentucky State Police can see if you have a permit if they access their database, but not the local or city police. Like I said though 'supposedly"

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky
    Here in Kentucky, you don't have to inform the LEO if you are CCW (of course unless asked) and supposedly , only the Kentucky State Police can see if you have a permit if they access their database, but not the local or city police. Like I said though 'supposedly"
    In my experience, you might be better of telling them up front.

But that's something I'd play be ear, if it were not already required in Michigan.

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm, thought I'd posted to this one ages ago - seems not. It is tho a subject that comes up from time to time.

I am in a ''don't have to'' state but am of a mind to probably disclose almost any time - that is if stopped and only had one stop ages ago which was in KS anyways!

My reasoning is simple - I put myself in the cop's shoes - any and every time he makes a stop there is a period of stress - he knows not what may occur. I would prefer to a) put him at ease and b) be better able to prove up front I am a good guy. I might only consider an exception if feeling that he was having a bad day and might be actually disturbed to know.

I would place hands on wheel having put window down and offer the information - followed by the question, ''how would you wish me to proceed''. I would like for any stop to be as stress-free as possible for the both of us.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links