State Police charge driver with case of “vigilante justice”

This is a discussion on State Police charge driver with case of “vigilante justice” within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by soundwave I would think a better response from the person would be to go in front of the semi and slow him ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State Police charge driver with case of “vigilante justice”

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    I would think a better response from the person would be to go in front of the semi and slow him down to a stop before he could get on the highway. That is, if he felt compelled to act now before the troopers showed up. Otherwise, turn your hazards on and just follow it and update 9-1-1 on their location. It's hard enough for cops to stop a semi and even they can't use a handgun to shoot out tires. (It's a shotgun. lol)

Cheers.
    So...................................... are YOU going to pull in front of a semi traveling at speed who is swerving all over to try and slow him down?? Because I sure as hell won't. I will protect myself, family and friends before I try and help others.

2. Remove Ads

The driver who did the shooting must have left his common sense home. I sure hope he don't have a CCW permit.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    While I understand the sentiment of keeping the intoxicated person from entering the highway, I think it went way too far. Yes, way too far, not "a little" far. You are literally using deadly force against someone/something that you are not justified in using. We all know it. Plain and simple.
    Once again...we don't all know it because the news article doesn't provide all the facts and never will. You assume, because law enforcement have arrested and charged him. That doesn't mean that he wasn't legitimately justified at the time. Shooting the tires out...yes probably a bad idea...but if time is of the essence and you see no other way to stop what you know for sure is going to be massive casualties directly ahead...do what you have to. If you've got a truck get in front and nail the brakes... Frankly I'd much rather take the chance of getting plowed over myself than watching the bugger tbone a busload of schoolchildren or something.

Sometimes I wonder...if our failures to act...may well be punished later when we get where we're going(even if it is to the pearly gates).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I would have to agree with soundwave, you just don't shoot the tires out on a moving vehicle. It was an irresponsible action to say the least, I don't know for sure that I could hit the tire from a moving vehicle. Remember; you are responsible for your bullets from barrel to termination.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    Most everyone replying to this is making an assumption that is possibly erroneous. A number of time it has been said that the shooter was shooting at the front tires of the truck. The story does not indicate this. Its says:
    "When it appeared the tractor trailer driver was going to proceed forward into traffic, he shot four times at the driver side tire," says State Police Sgt. Tom Cunningham.
    A semi has 5 tires on the driver's side. One at the front and two pair at the back. I don't plan to be shooting at the tires of a truck in the foreseeable future, but were I to try I would go for the back tires on the tractor. Since there are two sets you are more likely to get a hit, lLess likely to cause an accident and since they are the drive tires very likely to be noticed by the driver.

Still, unless the truck was moving to impact with vehicles the police should be the ones to handle it and since the details are not there I won't pass judgment on the shooter.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Too many unknowns to say what one would do in the shooters place. Although to tell the truth, if I had shot out some tires on a car I would not be there to attempt to explain to the officer why I am a hero. But odds are I wouldnt think to attempt to shoot out somebodies tire. Too many chances of ricochet or missing and possibly hitting others, including my car.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Drunk Drivers...Tire Shooters...

Sound like a convention of "The Stupids!"

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would like to know what our "hero" used. While he may have had his heart in the right place if he was using a handgun he might well have been more of a danger to the community than the trucker was. It is difficult enough to get a handgun bullet to penetrate a passenger car tire that is turning, but truck tires I wouldn't waste my time trying with anything less than a .454! Truck tires have significantly heavier belting than passenger car tires and those belts are usually made of Kevlar. If the rubber of the tread or the sidewall didn't retain the bullets, who knows where they were going?

Mitigating Vs. Aggravating circumstances...

Had the semi driver (who it appears was indeed intoxicated) would have veered out of control after having his tires shot out, and ended up plowing over a GEO Metro killing a little ol lady from Passadina, who do you think would be on the hook for involuntary manslaughter and occupying the cell next to Mr. Mason (the truck driver)?

That's right... you can say it... "The Shooter" would be.

And that's probably how you will be described to the jury at your trial. As, "The Crazed Shooter!" Not the concerned honest CCW holder trying to do the right thing. Another term used to describe your actions would probably be "A wanton disregard and reckless indangerment of the public at large."

I know I don't have $200,000 worth of pocket change to find a lawyer who could get me out of that one!

As horrible as it may be to see an out of control drunk driver, possibly plow into someone causing a horrible crash... I think I would have kept my gun in my holster and do my best to try and find another method to assist in getting the truck stopped.

Just my humble opinion. See my post "Can You Be Too Prepared?" and follow up post #10 further down. (Don't under estimate what a manslaughter trial will be like) You may be a lawful CCW holder, but unfortunately that does not make you everyone's guardian angel.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=24517
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 3rd, 2007 at 03:03 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I agree that he probably went too far, but I am not sure getting in front of the vehicle and trying to slow it down would be a very good idea, unless of course he was driving his own semi.
    I don't think doing anything proactive is a very good idea in this situation. Seriously, nothing any of us could think of to actually try to stop a semi is going to be anything short of a very bad idea.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Unless that person had been through some training to know the effects of shooting at a tractor trailer's tires, whatever else is true it should be seen as a reckless act. Good intentions perhaps, but not very good thinking. Likely: no practice firing from out of a moving vehicle; unknown effects of bullets striking whatever surface of the tire, wheel, roadway; risk to innocents; risk to the truck driver (death sentence, if he crashed because of it?). Bad combination of risks, for little gain.

In short: this is why Ma Bell (well, Motorola and others) invented cell phones.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have given this one some thought and my thought is...I can't think of any reason to shoot at someone's tires. If I were on foot and the car was coming at me and I couldn't get out of the way...I would be shooting at the driver...not his tires. Doing what those guys did was just stupid to the extreme. They could have caused more death and damage than the drunk semi driver by their actions. These kind of reckless actions is what gives all armed citizens a bad name. Anyone who thinks this response was reasonable needs to rethink that opinion or stop carrying a weapon.

There was plenty of information given. This guy was a wacko and didn't use the brains God gave him. Using his cell phone and following a safe distance behind him was the best option. His ONLY option. I know it would be hard to watch this drunk driver mow down innocents, but shooting out the tires or getting in front of him only adds to the problem. There are some incidents you just can't solve, no matter how painful the outcome might be.
    Last edited by Spirit51; May 3rd, 2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    ...You may be a lawful CCW holder, but unfortunately that does not make you everyone's guardian angel.

- Not So Common Sense
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links