Full Mags Wear Out Springs?

This is a discussion on Full Mags Wear Out Springs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jchoo A car that sat for 10 years may very well need new shocks, but it's not because the dampers wore out ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Mags Wear Out Springs?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    A car that sat for 10 years may very well need new shocks, but it's not because the dampers wore out - the rubber seals, wipers, gaskets, and boots rotted and let the pressurized gas/oil leak out. But, you knew this.
    actually No I didn't I'm not a car guy . But the point is the springs don't were out.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

No.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I'm still in the Corps and they continue to tell us to load our 30 rounders two short. We did get these new H&K mags before we went over last year that are great and we were told they were "designed" to be loaded with a full thirty. They are slightly longer and larger than the older stamped steel ones but so much better quality, more rugged, with a steel follower. Def worth the extra money if you own an AR. I was fortunate to not have to turn three of them in...
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

Way to go Gumby... I will definitely look into the H&K mags for my Colt A2 Govt. Carbine, when I get around to buying magazines.

I have a system to buy things in cycles. (new guns one year, bulk ammo one year, accessories to weapons one year)

I have been known however, to not stick with the plan from time to time!

I don't know about the system, but it seems to keep the wife happy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Oh yeah, I should mention this disclaimer since the wife is now a member of this forum.... Technically the AR-15 belongs to the wife...

Otherwise, "we" wouldn't have one!

(I sold her on the idea as it being a good "coyote/predator gun" she could use and handle easily, since I had just bought an FN-L1A1)

Once she shot it, we had to have it!

But it was my 850 Suzuki I traded for the Colt.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One of the most asked questions that I have seen regarding guns and magazines.

NO, they don't. This might have been true in with ancient springs, when they didn't have the metals and alloy's they have now. Today (along with the last 30 years) any metals they use for springs do not develop a "Memory" from being compressed for a long period of time. A metalergist told me that excessive compressing, and releasing will wear out a spring faster than just leaving compressed for an extended period of time. As far as the military goes, I don't know why the say this, unless its for reasons other than wearing out the springs. I do know that there are some cheap magazines that tend to misfead when fully loaded, but its not due to the spring, but the design.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

There are obviously different opinions on this topic. To make myself feel better, when I go on vacation I empty all my mags. A firearms instructor from a previous job told me that this was a good idea.

Is it helping? From some of the stories that I have read it may not be necessary, but it makes me feel better.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

If you have an idea about mag springs, you probably think/heard it WAS a good idea...these ideas are like @#$$&#@$...everyone has one...
    Personally, I don't worry about such trivial problems. I use and clean my mags, if I were to sense a problem...it's gone and I get another...never had a problem in all these years...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hasn't this urban legend died yet?

The springs under my truck still work after 15 years of use.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

How old is old?

I have a 1907 Savage .32 auto that belonged to my Grandmother. I remember it being loaded and kept in her dresser drawer since I was a young boy. It's all original with the same magazine and spring that came in it. It still works fine with never a hitch. It's older than I am and I'm 73 this month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links