Full Mags Wear Out Springs?

This is a discussion on Full Mags Wear Out Springs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard a couple times that keeping your magazines loaded to full capacity for a prolonged period of time weakens the magazine's springs and therefore ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've heard a couple times that keeping your magazines loaded to full capacity for a prolonged period of time weakens the magazine's springs and therefore can lead to failures when in use.

Is there any truth to that? If anyone has a link to an article/study, it would make for an interesting read...

Lead Moderator
    Popular opinion is full mags do not wear springs. the repeated compressing and release does wear on them.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I have no link to hand but we had a fairly exhaustive thread on this a while ago. Maybe a search on ''mag springs'' could yield success.... and that tried on Google might yield even more from other forums too.

Most reckon these days spring materials are that good that it will not be a significant problem. That said I suspect many of us do ''rotate'' our carry mags ... as it is a simple thing to do and maybe leaves us feeling better

Over compression can hurt springs but mag springs are made to take full load anyways - and it is perhaps actual cycling of a spring that ''tires'' it quicker, as in recoil springs.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Yep. It doesn't matter how long the spring remains in the compressed state; only the initial force used to compress it was applied to it. There is no additional force applied over time, so it stands to reason that so long as the initial force was within the limit of the elastic properties of the spring, it will return to 100% length, time after time, until it work hardens and loses elasticity.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Loaded mags have been found dating back to WWII. Even though compressed for that long they still worked.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    I've heard a couple times that keeping your magazines loaded to full capacity for a prolonged period of time weakens the magazine's springs and therefore can lead to failures when in use.

Is there any truth to that? If anyone has a link to an article/study, it would make for an interesting read...
    Thats kind of like saying a car sitting for ten years that hasn't been driven wears the shocks out. Springs are designed to be either compressed or not compressed. I agree its the constant change of tension that wears them.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Fired a Glock 19 mag last month that had been loaded for the past 10 years. Found it in an old assault vest I had stored in the atic and forgot about. Not a glitch and every round loaded fine.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Thats kind of like saying a car sitting for ten years that hasn't been driven wears the shocks out. Springs are designed to be either compressed or not compressed. I agree its the constant change of tension that wears them.
    A car that sat for 10 years may very well need new shocks, but it's not because the dampers wore out - the rubber seals, wipers, gaskets, and boots rotted and let the pressurized gas/oil leak out. But, you knew this.

JT
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Fired a Glock 19 mag last month that had been loaded for the past 10 years. Found it in an old assault vest I had stored in the atic and forgot about. Not a glitch and every round loaded fine.
    Hah, that hits home; my current gun is a Glock 19...

I had heard that too but the guys that were telling me about it happened to be dealing with very old magazines. I am talking WWI era Lugers and 1911s. If there really was an issue that was not specific to these guys I would imagine improvements in metallurgy in the last century have resolved it.

My Dad was a WWII Naval aviator. On the 50th anniversary of his discharge from the Naval Reserve, (Sept. '46) we fired off a mag of 45acp he had loaded during the Phillipine Campaign. (mid '44 I believe) Not a glitch, made some cans dance nicely. I've got the second one that God willing my son and I will run through in 2046. Both clips are going through my great uncles 1911A1 that he carried across Africa, & Italy following General Patton.(he said everyone followed Patton, the General led from the front!) My nephew borrowed the 1911A1 from me for tank duty in the first Gulf war. My cousin flew chopers in 'Nam with the same .45. It is a privilage to be the caretaker of this Colt Luteai
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by luteai View Post
    My Dad was a WWII Naval aviator. On the 50th anniversary of his discharge from the Naval Reserve, (Sept. '46) we fired off a mag of 45acp he had loaded during the Phillipine Campaign. (mid '44 I believe) Not a glitch, made some cans dance nicely. I've got the second one that God willing my son and I will run through in 2046. Both clips are going through my great uncles 1911A1 that he carried across Africa, & Italy following General Patton.(he said everyone followed Patton, the General led from the front!) My nephew borrowed the 1911A1 from me for tank duty in the first Gulf war. My cousin flew chopers in 'Nam with the same .45. It is a privilage to be the caretaker of this Colt Luteai
    That's an awesome tradition :)

When I was in the USMC (Dept of Navy) we were told to load the Colt M-16 A1 mags two rounds down. 18 rds for 20 rd. mag and 28 rds for 30 rd mag.

"Well... We all know the Navy's never wrong... but in this case, it looks like they were a little weak on being right!" - Henry Fonda as CINCPAC II in "In Harms Way"

A classic if there ever was one!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

WW 2 Mag

I've got a Thompson mag that has been loaded since it was returned from the war, as near as can be determined. The steel cased ammo is dated 1942. Just waiting on a Thompson to come in to the gunshop to test it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links