Interesting Employee Carry Poll!!

This is a discussion on Interesting Employee Carry Poll!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was sent out this evening by the Texas Rifle Association in an effort to move people to become more vocal in supporting SB534 (a ...

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

This was sent out this evening by the Texas Rifle Association in an effort to move people to become more vocal in supporting SB534 (a law aimed at protecting CHL holder's rights to keep their weapon locked in their vehicles while at work. It is an interesting read. Make sure you take the TSRA's poll (website included in the body of the text).

For Immediate Release

Texas State Rifle Association
    Addison, Texas

Subject: TSRA Internet Survey to be found at http://quibblo.com/quiz/IhU2V/Poll-o...nt?view_quiz=1

May 2, 2007

On May 1, 2007, the Texas Association of Business (TAB) cranked up its attack on SB 534 another notch, by releasing the results of likely one of the most lop-sided and skewed polls in the history of surveys and polling.

It is a well-known fact that you can get any poll to say anything you want by crafting the questions in just the right way, and contacting the right “registered voters.” Allegedly contacting 800 “registered voters” they fail to mention which part of the state these voters came from, claiming only that they were from Texas .

The findings of the poll were about what you would expect. They concluded, by a fairly handy margin, that Texans favor the defeat of SB 534, and that most voters have more respect for the Texas Association of Business than for the NRA.

But even a cursory examination of the poll indicates some troubling facts. Surprisingly, the pollsters thoughtfully released their questions as well, making the slipshod nature of the poll painfully transparent.

Of the interesting facts available in the poll are:

TAB “Fact” Number 1 - 59 percent of “registered voters” agree that business owners should have the right to prohibit employees from storing guns in their locked cars on company-owned property. Also 59 percent of “registered voters” opposed requiring employers to allow this practice.

What TAB elected not to share:
    That the proposed law in question applies only to those with a Concealed Handgun License, who have passed one of the most rigorous licensing processes in the United States.
    That the criminal record requirements to become a CHL holder are stricter than those to become a police officer in the state of Texas .
    That the employee, in order to gain protection from the proposed law, has to prove he is licensed by contacting his employer first.

TAB “Fact” Number 2 – When it come to “issues,” 46 percent of “registered voters” trusted the TAB more than the NRA. Thirty-three percent trusted the NRA over employers.
    Issues? Could they possibly have gotten a little more vague? What issues? Employment Law? Corporate Taxation? Immigration Reform? Abortion? Global Warming? Al Gore’s Invention of the Internet? I suspect if they had specified “issues” that were within the niche interests of these one-issue organizations, they might have gotten a reasonable answer, but as it is, this question simply ate up bandwidth and paper.
    Even given the vagueness of the question, and the skewed questioning, it is still humorous to note that the NRA took thirty –three percent of the vote, with 20% in the “unsure” or “refuse to answer” columns.

Things that make you go “hmmmmmm…”
    The survey reported that 46% of the respondants considered themselves to be hunters.
    On the very next question, 15% answered “Yes” to owning a rifle or handgun.
    You might be wondering what these people hunt with, and it that thought is crossing your mind, join the club.

In response to this “survey” the Texas State Rifle Association has posted its own online survey at the following URL:

http://quibblo.com/quiz/IhU2V/Poll-o...nt?view_quiz=1

At that survey, you will find questions that we believe are a bit more appropriate. They actually mentioned CHLs, training requirements, and some about what SB 534 is about. In short, our survey is far more relevant.

We said relevant. We will not pretend it is scientific. But in looking at the poll published by the TAB, we don’t they should have insinuated that theirs was.

Sincerely,

James Dark
    Executive Director
    Texas State Rifle Association
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I voted. It looks like the results are in our favor.

Voted, but all results so far are in our favor

The only problem I have with this bill is the mandatory disclosure part. I don't think I should have to disclose that I am a CHL in order to keep a firearm locked in my vehicle. I want as few people as possible to know that I am a CHL.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    The only problem I have with this bill is the mandatory disclosure part. I don't think I should have to disclose that I am a CHL in order to keep a firearm locked in my vehicle. I want as few people as possible to know that I am a CHL.
    Agreed. They know you have a CHL, now what? Does that mean they'll go to you first when some lunatic kicks in the door and starts killing people? That's not your job. In reality, it just means your employer now has a reason to harrass you if they don't agree with your decision to protect yourself.

However, being harrassed while armed is much preferable to not being armed at all. It ain't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

Mike and Bob, I completely agree with you. There is no reason why an employer needs to be made aware of who is and who isn't a CHL holder. I think it opens up the door for employee discrimination based upon CHL status.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Given that employment in Texas is at will, I don't really care about this bill. If you want to store in your car, you have to inform your employer. An employer can then fire you for some made up reason other than the CHL. So I don't think it really gives an employee any protection

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    And what about the person that has a gun in their car and does not have a CHL.

The traveling law allows a non CHL holder to carry in their car and no one is talking about these people.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    And what about the person that has a gun in their car and does not have a CHL.

The traveling law allows a non CHL holder to carry in their car and no one is talking about these people.
    From what a DPS officer told me a few weeks ago, the term "traveling" in this context is not well defined but generally considered by law enforcement to mean "traveling through multiple counties".

Bill HB-815, is on the Texas House calendar which would allow non-CHL holders to carry their handgun in their vehicles. Now *that* would be very cool...

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=2875

It seems to me that that there needs to be some sort of tie in to the Castle Doctrine. The rights that are guaranteed to us in our homes should be extended to other personal property. ie car, boat etc.

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    It seems to me that that there needs to be some sort of tie in to the Castle Doctrine. The rights that are guaranteed to us in our homes should be extended to other personal property. ie car, boat etc.
    Ditto that.

Links