Defensive Carry banner

SC Bill passes House now in Senate

3K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  Echo_Four 
#1 ·
I was reading in the forum and watching the news at the same time. I think I heard this right. A Bill has passed the House by an "overwhelming majoity" and is now in the Senate. "The Bill would allow concealed carry in South Carolina if you have a valid permit." "Right now, South Carolina only recognizes permits from states that have similar standards." I hope I heard correctly. This would be outstanding. I have not followed this closely because I don't travel much. If I heard wrong I'll appologize ahead of time for a premature post and getting you travelers hopes up. :hand10: :hand10:

#12 ·
Driving THROUGH Isn't The Problem...

But if this passes, I might start camping again at Myrtle Beach State Park...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#3 ·
I hope this bill passes.

I'm covered in all 50 States, but would like to see all legal gun carriers be able to carry.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#4 ·
Hoping as well but also read that SLED is opposed and the bill will face stiff opposition in the Senate.

Calling grassroots today to see what I can do to help and will also contact my Senator.

Regards,
Avi

#8 ·
I also think that anyone who abuses the permit should face the maxium fine and possible jail time plus haveing their permit pulled if convicted.
the problem is, with an angry prosecutor and jury, you're already SCREWED if you use a gun. what's to stop them from sticking it to you and miscoonstruing the event even if you were justified?

#14 ·
ya, its looking real good.

also on the list are:

H 3964 General Bill, By Duncan, Loftis, G.R. Smith, Hinson, Crawford, Lowe,
Bedingfield, Barfield, Chellis, Clemmons, Delleney, Hardwick, Hiott, Merrill,
Scarborough, Witherspoon, Rice and Owens
A BILL TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION
23-31-250 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON WHO POSSESSES A CONCEALABLE WEAPONS
PERMIT MAY CARRY A CONCEALABLE WEAPON ON HIS PERSON WHILE ON THE PREMISES OR
PROPERTY OF A PUBLIC EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION; AND TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-215,
AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS, SO AS TO
DELETE THE RESTRICTIONS PLACED UPON CARRYING A CONCEALABLE WEAPON INTO A
SCHOOL OR COLLEGE EVENT.
View full text
04/24/07 House Introduced and read first time HJ-111
04/24/07 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary HJ-111
05/01/07 House Member(s) request name removed as sponsor: Neilson
05/02/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Rice, Owens

and....

H 3464 General Bill, By M.A. Pitts, Hardwick, Mulvaney, Loftis, Chellis,
Dantzler, Davenport, Delleney, Hiott, Littlejohn, Mahaffey, Mitchell, Owens,
Parks, Rice, J.R. Smith, Umphlett and Crawford
A BILL TO AMEND CHAPTER 31, TITLE 23, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY
ADDING ARTICLE 9 SO AS TO ENACT THE "SOUTH CAROLINA FIREARMS FREEDOM ACT"
WHICH EXEMPTS FROM REGULATION UNDER THE COMMERCE CLAUSE OF THE UNITED STATES
CONSTITUTION A FIREARM, FIREARM ACCESSORY, OR AMMUNITION MANUFACTURED AND
RETAINED IN SOUTH CAROLINA.
View full text
02/07/07 House Introduced and read first time HJ-24
02/07/07 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary HJ-24
02/14/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Crawford

#20 ·
Has this passed Senate or not?

I heard on the radio that this passed out of committee with unanimous recommendation, but it does not indicate this on the website.

There is another bill that passed which clarifies that CC is legal in a vehicle. Note to non-SCers, SC law says you can transport loaded in a console or glovebox. Some ninny must have made an issue out of this somehow. It's just legal housekeeping.

From SC legislature online:

H 3212 General Bill, By Delleney, M.A. Pitts, Haley, Crawford, Chellis,
G.R. Smith, Owens, Rice, Weeks, Viers, Simrill, Bedingfield, Vick, Duncan,
Mulvaney, Stavrinakis, Clemmons and Young
A BILL TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-215, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA,
1976, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONCEALABLE WEAPONS PERMITS, SO AS TO
PROVIDE THAT VALID OUT-OF-STATE PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALABLE WEAPONS HELD BY A
RESIDENT OF ANOTHER STATE MUST BE HONORED BY THIS STATE AND TO DELETE THE
PROVISION THAT THIS STATE WILL ONLY HONOR OUT-OF-STATE PERMITS ISSUED BY A
STATE WITH WHICH SOUTH CAROLINA HAS RECIPROCITY.
View full text
01/10/07 House Introduced and read first time HJ-6
01/10/07 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary HJ-7
01/17/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Haley,
Crawford
01/18/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Chellis,
G.R.Smith
01/24/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Owens, Rice
02/15/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Weeks
02/20/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Viers
02/21/07 House Committee report: Favorable Judiciary HJ-5
02/22/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Simrill,
Bedingfield
02/28/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Vick,
Duncan, Mulvaney
02/28/07 House Requests for debate-Rep(s). Scott, Hart, Govan,
Hayes, Hosey, Talley, MA Pitts, Lucas, Delleney,
Kirsh, Chellis, Alexander, Breeland, Vick, Moss,
Frye, Duncan, and Agnew HJ-33
02/28/07 House Recommitted to Committee on Judiciary HJ-40
02/28/07 House Motion noted- Rep. Merrill noted a motion to
reconsider the vote whereby H. 3212 was
recommitted to the Judiciary Committee HJ-40
03/01/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor:
Stavrinakis, Clemmons, Young
03/01/07 House Reconsider vote whereby recommitted to House
Judiciary Committee HJ-34
03/01/07 House Read second time HJ-46
03/01/07 House Roll call Yeas-100 Nays-2 HJ-48
03/01/07 House Unanimous consent for third reading on next
legislative day HJ-48
03/02/07 House Read third time and sent to Senate HJ-2
03/06/07 Senate Introduced and read first time SJ-10
03/06/07 Senate Referred to Committee on Judiciary SJ-10
03/07/07 Senate Referred to Subcommittee: Hawkins (ch), Sheheen,
Lourie, Vaughn

#21 ·
H 3212 General Bill, By Delleney, M.A. Pitts, Haley, Crawford, Chellis,
G.R. Smith, Owens, Rice, Weeks, Viers, Simrill, Bedingfield, Vick, Duncan,
Mulvaney, Stavrinakis, Clemmons and Young
A BILL TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-215, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA,
1976, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONCEALABLE WEAPONS PERMITS, SO AS TO
PROVIDE THAT VALID OUT-OF-STATE PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALABLE WEAPONS HELD BY A
RESIDENT OF ANOTHER STATE MUST BE HONORED BY THIS STATE AND TO DELETE THE
PROVISION THAT THIS STATE WILL ONLY HONOR OUT-OF-STATE PERMITS ISSUED BY A
STATE WITH WHICH SOUTH CAROLINA HAS RECIPROCITY.
View full text
01/10/07 House Introduced and read first time HJ-6
01/10/07 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary HJ-7
01/17/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Haley,
Crawford
01/18/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Chellis,
G.R.Smith
01/24/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Owens, Rice
02/15/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Weeks
02/20/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Viers
02/21/07 House Committee report: Favorable Judiciary HJ-5
02/22/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Simrill,
Bedingfield
02/28/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Vick,
Duncan, Mulvaney
02/28/07 House Requests for debate-Rep(s). Scott, Hart, Govan,
Hayes, Hosey, Talley, MA Pitts, Lucas, Delleney,
Kirsh, Chellis, Alexander, Breeland, Vick, Moss,
Frye, Duncan, and Agnew HJ-33
02/28/07 House Recommitted to Committee on Judiciary HJ-40
02/28/07 House Motion noted- Rep. Merrill noted a motion to
reconsider the vote whereby H. 3212 was
recommitted to the Judiciary Committee HJ-40
03/01/07 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor:
Stavrinakis, Clemmons, Young
03/01/07 House Reconsider vote whereby recommitted to House
Judiciary Committee HJ-34
03/01/07 House Read second time HJ-46
03/01/07 House Roll call Yeas-100 Nays-2 HJ-48
03/01/07 House Unanimous consent for third reading on next
legislative day HJ-48
03/02/07 House Read third time and sent to Senate HJ-2
03/06/07 Senate Introduced and read first time SJ-10
03/06/07 Senate Referred to Committee on Judiciary SJ-10
03/07/07 Senate Referred to Subcommittee: Hawkins (ch), Sheheen,
Lourie, Vaughn
05/09/07 Senate Committee report: Majority favorable, minority
unfavorable Judiciary

#22 ·
Well, I don't know what this will mean to SC as a whole. But, when it passes I know I will be spending a great deal of money on hotels, eating, etc. in SC that I currently give to Augusta, GA. I can't believe I'm the only one giving money to other states because of SLED's asinine policy.

#24 ·
Its not SLEDs "Policy" it was the way the law was written. And SLED then interpreted it as narrowly as possible from what I can tell. For fear of something happening. The Original provision giving the authority to make agreements was cloudy enough that it sort of allowed them to reject anyone that was not exactly perfectly the same... plus it gave them no incentive to actively pursue agreements. This will "free them up" from doing so.

And those of you "passing through" should not be concerned as SC has some of the most liberal pass through laws in the nation. Can be in your glove box or console loaded and unlocked. Can stop at state rest areas. Can transport into and out of hotel rooms.

But... lets get this passed.

#27 ·
What happened? On Wednesday it gets a favorable report out of committee and now it died? The only way it could have died is if it was voted down or the session ended. I don't know when your sessions run, so that is a possibility I guess. It is enough to make me puke though.

Oh well, time to make another reservation at the Homewood Suites again I suppose.

#30 ·
I wouldn't count on that but its certainly a possibility.

For one thing they do not adjourn for the year until June 1st I don't think? I don't believe the current session has adjourned has it.

And its always possible to obtain a vote to bring it to reading even before they get to the contested calender. Which they almost never do get too unfortunately. The problem is it only takes three members to contest a bill. And we all know that if the general membership cannot get it on the floor for a vote they never get to them. Luckily there is strong support for the bill. Probably enough votes to get it up and out of the contested calender. Its just a matter of priorities and time to do so. So now would be a good time to recontact your legislator.

And the good thing about it all is that since it passed the house and it was introduced this year it will not "sin die" and what has occured on it will carry over to next session. Assuming we can't get it done this year it's set to go rolling next legislative year.

I don't recall the session ending though. I think its still got a little time before we can conclude its going to be next year. But... time is short. Its not looking great thats for sure. But all hope is not lost... yet.

#29 ·
For XD in SC

State Park Carry . . . About 3 years ago this was changed so that you can carry in SC Parks. You can go to the SLED website to check for yourself.

BTW . . . Recently even a Park Ranger commented that it was unlawful to carry. SLED does not get out information on changes very often.

#31 ·
I am excited about this. I travel SC as much as i do GA for work, and it's the only state in the south that i can't carry in. I really hope it get through.

#32 ·
UPDATES ON LEGISLATION CURRENTLY
MOVING IN THE SOUTH CAROLINA STATE HOUSE
AS OF MAY 9, 2007

H3212 by Representative Greg Delleney, Jr., District 43, Chester and York Counties, is a NRA/GOSC Number 1 priority bill, referred to as the "Open Reciprocity" bill, giving CWP reciprocity to any state honoring a South Carolina CWP. It has passed the full House of Representatives, cleared the Senate Committees, and is scheduled to be on the Senate Floor the week of May 14th.

The bill currently has a minority report by Senator Ralph Anderson of District 7, Greenville County. If you are a constituent of Senator Anderson, please contact him and request that he remove the minority report and allow the bill to move forward in the Senate.

The bill is being ushered through the Senate by Senator Jake Knotts, District 23, Lexington County. Also, Senator Glenn McConnell, President Pro Tempore, has expressed his wishes for passage of this bill. We need to thank both Senators Knotts and McConnell for their effort in the passage of this bill.

The bill was sponsored in the House by Greg Delleney, Mike Pitts, Nikki Haley, Kris Crawford, Converse A. Chellis, III, G.R. Smith, Phil Owens, Rex Rice, David Weeks, Thad Viers, Gary Simrill, Eric Bedingfield, Ted Vick, Jeff Duncan, Mick Mulvaney, Leon Stavrinakis, Alan Clemons and Annette Young. Please contact those representatives in the House who sponsored this bill and aided in its passage and thank them for their support.

H3464 “South Carolina Firearms Freedom Act” by Representative Mike Pitts is a NRA/GOSC backed bill testing federal firearms restrictions on guns made and sold within the borders of South Carolina. It currently has 18
co-sponsors and still resides in the House Committee on Judiciary. Please contact the members of the Judiciary Committee and ask for their support of this legislation.

H3528 known as the “Privacy Bill” was introduced by Representatives Mike Pitts and Murrell Smith and now has 25 co-sponsors. The bill was passed out of the House Committee on Judiciary on May 8, 2007, and should be on the House floor for debate during the week of May 14th. Please contact your respective House members and request that they support this much-needed bill.

H3310 related to the “carrying of handguns in a vehicle” was sponsored by Representatives Mike Pitts, Jeff Duncan, Mike Gambrell, Bill Herbkersman, Bill Sandifer, Seth Whipper, Brian White, Eric Bedingfield, David Weeks, Phil Owens, Rex Rice, Ted Vick and Wallace Scarborough. This NRA/GOSC backed bill closes a loophole between CWP law and vehicle carry law. It has cleared the House and Senate and was ratified on
May 9, 2007. GOSC has also been notified that the bill was signed into law by Governor Sanford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.