Ohio State University CCW

This is a discussion on Ohio State University CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tired searching to see if this was anywhere else on the forums, but no luck... I followed the thread with Mike in cinncinnati and ...

Thread: Ohio State University CCW

I tired searching to see if this was anywhere else on the forums, but no luck...

I followed the thread with Mike in cinncinnati and carry on campus in regards to the ORC. Do any of my fellow buckeyes out there have any experience on OSU and keeping your CCW locked in the car? I would like to know their official stance and will probally contact campus PD to get something in writing.

The CCW instructor I had said basically to air on the side of caution and try not to carry on campus proper.

A state trooper I work with said that despite ORC, it is merely officer's interpretation.

Thanks for the help,

Andrew

Well, I'll help ya best I can as to my understanding. All campus buildings are clearly marked no carry. MY reading of the ORC is that it is ok in a locked motor vehicle, but I don't know the schools opinion. I live a couple blocks off campus, so I walk to classes and keep all mine here, although they have gone on campus for a few school sanctioned activities.

For Pistol Club people are advised if they want to use their own weapon to carry it in a locked case with ammo seperate, keep a proof of purchase with it, and not to go anywhere other than the shooting range with it in their possession.

Erring on the side of caution is probably best, and I would not advise carrying into the buildings on campus

EDIT: Also, I don't know where around/on campus you park your vehicle, but a lot of the parking lots are not secure, and off campus parking tends to have a whole lot of car s burglarized. Just something to think about
    Last edited by buckeye .45; May 3rd, 2007 at 02:54 AM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I know buildings are off limits, no doubt. This is more looking to next year. Right now I live off campus in walking/bus distance depending on how lazy and/or late I am. In August I am moving off-off campus, bout 7-8 miles away with freeways involved, so I am looking at a c-pass, but don't want to waste my money if OSU doesn't look at ORC the way I do.

Contact the campus police, that would be your best answer. Try looking it up on the website, I'm not sure if there is something like a student handbook there or not.

I graduate at the end of this quarter, and personally am not interested in having any more hassles with the school than am absolutely neccessary.

I know I have done runs through all of the parking garages, and nobody really cares about people moving in and out of them, and I wouldn't trust my truck in one of them. Make sure if you are going to keep a firearm in your vehicle you have a good sturdy lock box for it.

As you may or may not know there was a movement last year to try to get the ball rolling for carry on campus, although it was pretty quickly squashed down.

I could tell ya what K-ho's answer would be though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Campus PD is on my list to contact.

I know a few of the members in the Ohio General Assembly, I might see if I can schedule an appointment with them just to get another opinion on Ohio CCW.

Lock box is on my to buy list once the pistol comes off layaway. For me living in the campus area was never the sole reason to buy a gun, rather I realized how much fun shooting was and how much I missed it. The side benefit of having something in the apartment as a last resort wasn't bad either. And now CCW is just the natural extension of that.

I have had only one issue of my car getting messed with and that was more my own fault. Then again I'm sure the mess in my car serves as a deterrent, apart from the fact that there is really nothing of value in the car.

I really don't want to screw up the last year or so of school, but with all the crap around the campus area of late it is something to think about.

I'll tell you what I do. I carry to the parking lot, disarm, place the gun in a car safe, take the ammo and slide with me, and when leaving I re-assemble and rearm.

No way I'm goin to try carrying a pistol to class and risk a felony or expulsion.

Never hurts to ask them and cite the ORC though. Contact the people that can kick you out of school, and have them forward the decision to the campus police.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

jeep,
    i thought that taking ammo inside of a posted no carry area is also a no-no. (something about dangerous ordanance). I like how you take the weapon apart though and take some of it with you.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Legal vs. policy are two different things.

If they're willing to let me have ammo next to a working firearm in a place without security or surveillance that is extremely open to the public, but not in my backpack minus what is needed to use it, there's an issue. I'm technically breaking their policy by letting me store a gun there, and ammunition. After contacting the folks who can kick me out, who forwarded their decision to the campus police, they allow me.

It's against the law to carry my concealed weapon on campus. It's not against the law to take the ordinance that makes it effective, or a part of it that makes it ineffective, with me (at least not at last check).

Again, lesser of the two evils. I'm already taking a risk I don't want to take by leaving the frame, barrel, and recoil spring there. I'm not going to risk that they might have the same gun on them if they're armed. Nor the same caliber. It comes down to the ammo/gun parts being in the hands of a law abiding student and no way of being used, vs. in the hands of a criminal that has no intent to follow the law.

I'm damned sure my jury of peers would understand my concern, and drop the charges.
    ~Mike F.

Jeep,
    you have no issue from me. I just wanted to say that if you read the no carry postings they include dangerous ordanance. So though I admire your effort to not supply a weapon to a would be thief, I think you are technically in violation of the law. Now I do think it is legal to leave the weapon in your vehicle in your safe. I do not think Universities are zero tolerance zones like high schools and primary schools. So the parking lot and even the campus is probably okay, as long as you do not enter a building ? (yes that is a question.. i am an old fart who will be on a campus this summer and would like to know what the law actually says)
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I wasn't able to find anything about ammo and schools in law, only policy.

Then again, I haven't had much time to devote to it either.
    ~Mike F.

Sponsored Links