Defensive Carry banner

Tight Situation

3K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  hardluk1 
#1 ·
So I like to fancy myself as a cowboy. Actually I'm a professional horse trainer and rodeo as much as I can. My problem is I'm not sure the best way to carry a concealed weapon. I wear pretty tight wranglers, and I always wear a long sleeved button up shirt, I wear a vest now and then but not in the summer as it gets pretty hot. I was thinking small of back but wondered what people thought. I'm pretty tall and skinny and will carry a medium sized semi-auto, probably 9mm or 10mm, any advice would be great, thanks

#2 ·
Considering your wardrobe small of back is about your only opiton.

But it is not a good one considering what you do for a living. I wouldn't want to be thrown from a horse and land on my back with a gun there. You could possibly do some damage to your back. Is an ankle holster in your boot a vialbe option? That's about the only thing I can come up with unless you want to go to a real small Kel Tec for instance that you can slip into a pocket. It would probably print in tight jeans but maybe that's not a problem where you work.

#3 ·
I can think of three methods that might work:

- fanny pack
- belly band
- pocket

The fanny pack probably wouldn't work too well with your wardrobe/image, so I'd scratch that.

The belly band would be a viable option, especially with western style shirts that have snaps instead of buttons. I don't know if it would be secure enough for riding horses or other critters, especially if they weren't a "willing participant" in the festivities.

Something small, in your pocket, would be secure and probably wouldn't hurt too bad if you landed on it. However, that pretty much limits your choice of weapons. Also, tight pants might make access a challenge.

I would almost think that, being in the cowboy mode, you might best be served by open carrying a real six-shooter. Most people would probably think it was part of your "costume."

I would definitely stay away from small of back carry, as well as a shoulder holster. Falling on a gun with your back or ribs could be really bad.

Good luck.

SSKC

#5 ·
RidemCowboy ~ How About

How about a new little mini Rohrbaugh semi~auto 9mm in a custom western boot holster?
Might be a little bit slow on the draw but you could (at least) have your firearm with you at all times.
OR...you could buy one of these nifty back pocket holsters for your Rohrbaugh.

#6 ·
RidemCowboy said:
I wear pretty tight wranglers, and I always wear a long sleeved button up shirt,
OWB - I carry year round wearing a light weight denim shirt! Right gun, right holster, zero print. I agree with previous post...SOB is downright uncomfortable to sit with, and dangerous to the spine in a fall.

#7 ·
Consider the Kramer shirt holster. I know Dillon Precision has em for sale in their catalog. It would place the gun under your arm, similar to a shoulder rig. You would need to wear a somewhat loose shirt but not by much. The biggest draw back would be a little longer acceses s time copared to some other options.

#8 ·
rocky said:
Consider the Kramer shirt holster. I know Dillon Precision has em for sale in their catalog. It would place the gun under your arm, similar to a shoulder rig. You would need to wear a somewhat loose shirt but not by much. The biggest draw back would be a little longer acceses s time copared to some other options.
That's what I was thinking of while going through this thread. Snaps on western shirts would make it even more effective. Still I wouldn't want to fall on it from a horse. Then again, are you really going to want/need one while on the horse? If not, belly band around your middle or the Kramer shirt seems to be viable although less than ideal.

#9 ·
Just for a little clarification, I don't plan on carrying a concealed gun while I ride, I have I holster built into my saddle bags that does the trick when I need to carry while riding. I was really talking about the other half of the day when I'm not in the saddle. Thanks for the suggestions good stuff to think about.

#11 ·
QKShooter - I think that could be a "REAL PAIN IN THE A__.. to fall on from a horse..!
Just my well meaning .02 cents..

RidemCowboy: Two reasons I would think about a Lil' K-T P32 front pocket carried, or something similar: Take a look @:
www.palehorseholsters.com
1.) I believe reflex would cause one to land a bit sideways as opposed to "Flat on your front pocket..!
2.) If you Should fall and break your gun (and NOT your neck at the same time that is...), breaking a K-T won't hurt you in the wallet too badly...

(erh)

#12 ·
Most has been said but I will reiterate the need as I see it, for you and most of us to dress around the gun.

I am lucky with my flexibility of choice and day to day options but - I still think concealment very often when making choices - even in hot weather when I am seriously compromized with the heat. There is always a way.
I always wear a long sleeved button up shirt
I would consider modifying that to have velcro closure, if it has be closed - and full enough to hang well - then if required a ''rip'' of front closure would rapidly expose the piece to the draw.

#18 ·
jarhead79 said:
(sung to the theme of the musical "Oklahoma")

OOOOOOOOOOOOpen carry when you wear your tight cowboy jeans.

Open carry is apparently legal in your state. I am just teasing, but it is an option. One plus, it's a deterrent to BGs. (unless they're morons)
I agree, get a couple of six shooters to go with what your wearing and a nice gun belt.:biggrin2:

#19 ·
So, I am new here and have been looking through all the posts related to horseback carry....Please move this if it isn't in the right place.

I train horses too and ride several throughout the day. They are VERY spirited and occasionally I get dumped! I would like to carry ALWAYS, especially if I get dumped and have to walk home. I have a Ruger P89DC. Not the smallest gun but it is what I have for now and I am very comfortable with it.

So, here is my question, other than the obvious "what type of holster" and "where to carry." What would happen if I did fall off, on to my weapon....hard...other than the obvious bruises and such, do I risk AD?

Thanks

#20 ·
I usually wear loose fit Wrangler jeans, a one size larger un-tucked cowboy-cut long sleeve shirt with snaps instead of buttons, and cowboy boots. I carry a government size 1911 on my belt at 3:00 and a spare magazine at 9:00. I carry a BUG in my right front pocket with a spare magazine in the watch/change pocket above it. You can either go small and make a gun fit your wardrobe or you can dress around the gun(s).

#21 ·
I had to wonder why someone would resurrect a thread that's been dormant for 8 years, and you answered that! Welcome aboard.

I can only provide one answer, since I don't ride horses, which is that you need not fear the gun going off. Nearly all quality, name-brand handguns made in the last quarter century won't discharge when dropped or accidentally whacked, assuming the finger is off the trigger, of course. Your Ruger is a decocker model, so there's virtually no way to impart enough energy to the firing pin with the hammer lowered.

#22 ·
Sorry about the resurrection.....perhaps I should have started a thread....lol.

I do appreciate the input. I have asked a similar question in another forum and basically got the same answer....BUT, one can NEVER be too careful, so I thought I would ask it here as well.

Thank you!

#23 ·
rideum There ain't no right way to carry for all. If your going to stay with a mid size pistol what ever that is your going to have to wear maybe fuller cut pants and looser cut shirts . Simple as heck. You can ether look cool or dress smart or swap for a darn small pistol. Even wwhen picking a holster its still trial and error. We all have a small box of perfectly fine holster for someone . If you want to try to carry on your front side a comp-tac does have several very adjustable holsters to pick from and there something like smart carry that might work for you. But only you can figure that out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.