Defensive Carry banner

Does your state allow you to carry a Backup Gun?

• Yes my state does allow a BUG and I personally carry one.

Votes: 59 49.2%
  • Yes my state does allow a BUG, but I choose not to carry one.

Votes: 56 46.7%
  • No my state does allow a BUG, but I would like to be able to carry one.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • No my state does allow a BUG and I don't personally have a desire to carry one.

Votes: 3 2.5%

BUG's for non-LEO's

4K views 30 replies 30 participants last post by  Redneck Repairs 
#1 ·
I am curious how many non-LEO, private citizen concealed carry licensees carry a Backup Gun. Here in New Mexico, we are not allowed to. Is it pretty common in most other states to allow a BUG?

#2 ·
I can't vote... my choice is not in it!
My state allows it, but I am not carrying one at the moment. Plan to!

#3 ·
Here in SC you can carry as many as you can keep concealed upon you. Yes I carry a BUG but currently it is if I am in an environment where I feel there may be an elevated risk factor. It's getting ready to get hot and humid here and that makes it more difficult to dress where one can conceal too much effectively.

#5 ·
I think its a little overkill to carry a BUG in most situations, but to each his own. I dont know why a state would not allow BUGS, it really doesnt make a difference in anything they should be concerned with.

#7 · (Edited)
I 95% of the time I carry a BUG (P32) available to the weak hand.

Minnesota has no limit on the number of gun you can carry at any one time. Some times go out with friends who carry and there is a designated Shooter and Driver and his waist band looks like an armory and walks funny be cause of all of the weight.

#10 ·
Virginia has no restrictions on the # of guns you can carry, so I guess they allow it because they don't prohibit it, the same as for open carry. I carry one. . . . sometimes

#11 ·
I have a P3AT that is use when necessary but I don't carry it as a BUG. Carrying two is a bit much IMO.

#12 ·
My state doesn't prohibit it, but geez... I feel anchored down enough carrying one gun. I think I'd be pretty annoyed if I felt like I needed to carry a BUG, too.

#13 ·
In the nine year hiatus between LE gigs I carried a BUG and do so today as an LEO again.

I live by the theory that, "One is none and two is one." Besides, with all the positons one can find oneself in you may not have your "Dominant" hand free to draw your weapon.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#16 ·
NH has no restictions on how many you can carry. I currently do not carry a BUG and have no intentions to in the future right now. I don't see the bonus add in having one. Just my opinion. I carry a service sized handgun that I trust 100% and an extra mag for it. I feel that's all I need right now.

As far as not having my dominant hand to draw with, that's why I practice drawing with both hands from my standard carry position. Practice, practice, practice! :yup:

#15 ·
I carry one on rare occasions. In MN there is no restriction on number of guns you can carry at one time.

#18 ·
I can understand why some don't or wouldn't want to but why do some people think it's a bit too much? I carry a BUG for the same reason I carry a spare tire in my car. Bad stuff happens. Sometimes it is faster to get to. I like the idea that in a worse case scenario, I could arm someone else if the need arises. It's not hard to do with a little thought. I know, statistically, there is a slim chance of ever needing it but the same can be said of my primary. I don't live by what statistics say anyway, it's comforting to me so I do it. I'm not going to try talking people into it, that's for sure. I'd be happy if more people just carried one. Even the people that have a permit but never actually carry.

#20 ·
No Restrictions in Florida...

But I choose not to carry one...don't feel the need!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#21 ·
I usually carry a BUG maybe 60% - 70% of the time. I live in a small very rural community where I usually feel safe only carrying primary weapon locally, but I do travel a lot outside of my comfort zone.

As a matter of fact I just purchased a new XD9sc in OD green to replace my current BUG (Ruger SP-101). I have to wait 60 days to get the OD from Springfield. :aargh4:

My feelings towards a back-up gun is pretty much the same reason for LEO carrying BUG's. When you need one, it will be a time when you Desperately Need One. And that again, is pretty much the same reason for carrying ONE in the first place. When you need it, you desperately need it.

#22 ·
My state does allow carry of a BUG. however I chose only to carry one at certain times and neighborhoods

#24 ·
+1 Miggy!

I will carry a BUG as soon as I have the funds for it. Right now, I'm in the camp of carrying a 100% reliable full size semi-auto with a spare mag. I couldn't imagine a bigger gun than a P3AT for backup, though... already, I strap on an extra 10 pounds every day in clothing/gear - and that's with dress shoes. :blink:

#26 ·
A lot of people have said they don't see the need to carry a BUG. I pointed out in another post that in a "fight or flight" stress of an actual gunfight... people tend to focus on their opponent's GUN that is shooting at them. This applies to the BG as well.

Therefore, it is not uncommon at all that many people are shot in their gun hand when wounded if not being shot in their gun itself rendering it inoperable or destroyed. It's not uncommon at all.

My mindset has always been to fight to the death! I've had too many close calls in my life to have any other mindset. If my primary gun is destroyed, or shot out of my hand and goes skipping along the parking lot somewhere... I want another gun because if I'm conscious and breathing... I'm NOT out of the fight!

All Law Enforcement Agencies that issue OC pepper spray to their officers have some sort of training to certifiy their officers in it's use. All of the programs require the officers to get sprayed in the face so they know what it feels like. Some agencies spray the officers and then immediately go to decontamination and stopping the burn as soon as they get sprayed.

At National Law Enforcement Training Center our course is an OC/Counter Assault Course. Once we are sprayed, we have to continue the fight and overcome the aggressor, draw our weapon and be able to call for back-up. You have to be able to fight through the effects of the OC spray because the logical conclusion is... at least for LEO's is that once you are sprayed, the next step is the BG will disarm and kill you.

It all comes down to a survival mindset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.