Got made by the doc today - Page 2

Got made by the doc today

This is a discussion on Got made by the doc today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The nurse practitioner I see for my BP is from Ghana. When she went to run a stethoscope under my shirt next to my gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got made by the doc today

The nurse practitioner I see for my BP is from Ghana. When she went to run a stethoscope under my shirt next to my gun I warned her that I was carrying legally and she was about to run in to it. "Oh, glad you told me it was there!" Never said another word about it.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    My Doc is a personal friend of mine and he carry's too so I'm not worried about bringing a gun into his office. Besides, he hasn't posted any of those "Gun Free Zone" signs on his doors so I'm covered.

We usually talk firearms for 10-15 minutes as a standart part of my exam.
    Does your insurance cover that? I want some!

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Nice to hear of a Doc with an open mind - who didn't panic
    I'm a social worker/family therapist and work for a community mental health agency. Very PC, can't even carry a pocketknife, caught equals termination. Went to a local range, shot, finished, staff is stuffing magazines and I asked what was going on. They were having a machine gun shoot using a variety of machine guns they rent. I decided to wait and watch, when in walks one of the psychiatrists on our staff. Turns out he organized it for about 10 guys, 4 others were doctors. I think they shot 2000 rounds. They had rented 5 lanes for 2 hours. He's considering CCW. After leaving my ears rang the rest of the day.
    Last edited by Pitmaster; May 4th, 2007 at 10:48 PM.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I really would prefer to go armed anywhere I have to "Turn my head and cough" Makes me feel less dirty.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

kpw
    My Doc is an ex navy doc. He's only been out a few years. Pro-gun, pro-hunting, we do a lot of BSing on my visits. Our former pediatrician asked me once if I had guns in our home. I asked him how much money he had in the bank. He said it was really none of my business and I replied "Ditto!". He got the message.

I have carried several times to my dentist, but that is easy they never ask you to take your shirt off.

They appreciate it when you take it off anyway.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

I thought it quite funny, when I went in for a physical and the nurse who was going to hook me up for an EKG, looked at my pistol and said "Is that a gun" to which the doctor replied straight face, "yes it is, have you never seen one before?" he turned to me and said "she's new, don't mind her".

He carried and we had spent more than one company/department mandated physical discussing the finer points of CCW and hunting.

I had a dentist who I noticed "posted" his building. I was walking in for a cleaning, I called from the parking said you can cancel my appointment, I will be taking my business somewhere else. They asked Why, I said there was a sign that was preventing me from entering the building, So I will have to go somewhere else. The next week when I drove by the Sign was down.

yup, a lot of healthcare professionals do carry and shoot too. You can never really judge the book by its cover. I was on call one night and I was talking to this obstetrician - he had a limp, quiet demeanor about him - I would have not "pick" him as a Gun Guy. I don't remember how but we got to talking about guns... he carries and he prefers 1911s. A bunch of senior nurses in the inner city hospital I used to work for carry their pistols to work and leave their pistols in the narcotics box; in fact, they can tell who was work already from the pistol that was already contained in there. Oh, .357 SW snub... bob is here... or something like that.

"no carry postings" seem ludricous in hospitals and healthcare facilities. They don't seem to mind caring for the dude with the GSW and his "gat" and "pharmacologic goods" falling out of his pants in the gurney. Yet, they will turn away law abiding CCW folks who secured the right to carry the legal way.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

I would never carry in a doctors or anywhere I would have to undress. When / if you have to go down the hall for blood draw, x-rays or such, your gun will be compromised. That is a cardinal sin of allowing your firearm to be out of your sight. There is also the danger of unintended consequences of others coming in contact with it without knowledge. You doctor may the most 2A guy in the world, but does not mean everyone else there is. Remember, any time you are messing with your gun or holster, there is that danger of an accident. There are some instances where one should consider others in the decision. Just MHO.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Leaving it in the car, even in a purpose made lockbox affixed permanently is not much of an option either, same can be said for leaving it at home.

Please, the following is downright insulting "Remember, any time you are messing with your gun or holster, there is that danger of an accident."

I don't and neither do any other CCW practitioner's of my acquaintance at any time do anything that can be equated to "Messing" with holster or pistol.

You almost make it sound like the majority of those who practice CCW are card carrying Neanderthals, without the first clue of how to properly handle a weapon safely around others.

In my medical file is an X-ray where you can clearly see the butt of a 1911 and as far as drawing blood, did it in the examination room, no need to leave or lose control of my personal sidearm.

For a procedure that requires more or involves an MRI then I make alternate arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    "no carry postings" seem ludricous in hospitals and healthcare facilities. They don't seem to mind caring for the dude with the GSW and his "gat" and "pharmacologic goods" falling out of his pants in the gurney. Yet, they will turn away law abiding CCW folks who secured the right to carry the legal way.
    +1

OH is terrible about having hospitals "no carry zones." My dad is a minister (who is pro 2A & is considering his CHL) and I go to the hospital with him often when he visits members (great father/son time!) and it's frustrating to see those signs.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

That is good for you my friend, as I am sure you are with them 100% of the time and unlike most humans, they don't make mistakes. Personally, I don't know anyone who can make the statement they don't mess with a holster or their gun. I assume you place the holster on your belt, inside your pants, down your pants, or your particular mode of carry. My assumption would also be that you place a cartridge in the firearm, then depending on the action, prepare it for readiness, which is another segment of handling or messing with your equipment. So, unless you don't touch your gun, holster or cartridges, you are handling something dangerous. If you read these posts, others "bumped" into their firearm, brushed it, etc. Read the other posts about AD's by those who do this stuff for a living, those who get shot by "friendly" fire, and you will get the gist of what I am saying. Many of these reads out here make me shake my head in wonderment at times, not knowing what their laws say for their state, how they carry, etc.
    Lastly, most I know who carry a gun scare the living bejesus out of me, and I don't want to be around them while they do carry. Thankfully, most don't carry very much. Sorry if you were offended, not attacking you or your friends, and I am entitled to my opinion as you are. Good day.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I had a PT that was very pro-gun.....from back when he (was born and raised) lived in the Philippines. His father was, if I recollect, in their justice department/ministry and carried a gun for protection from Communist terrorists (I assume from the New People's Army). He carried a gun himself as early as nine or ten as well.
    My wife..errr...ex-wife is a PT, although she doesnt have her CHL yet, we used to shoot alot together.

PS- Shes also a Pinay :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links