I'm very good at concealed carry, or . . .

This is a discussion on I'm very good at concealed carry, or . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my wife is oblivious. I started carrying full-time about 7 months ago. I was a circumstantial carrier prior to that. Tonight, my wife was hugging ...

Thread: I'm very good at concealed carry, or . . .

I'm very good at concealed carry, or . . .

my wife is oblivious.

I started carrying full-time about 7 months ago. I was a circumstantial carrier prior to that.

Tonight, my wife was hugging me and finally noticed that strange lump under my shirt at 3 o'clock. So, the way I see it, I must be very skilled at the concealed part of concealed carry. Or else my beloved wife is not very observant.

Well, you tell me. About 4 months ago, we were in a restaurant and she used the backstrap of my G23 as an armrest for about 30 minutes. OK, maybe I'm not so skilled. Maybe she is oblivious.

2. Remove Ads

my wife does not notice mine, she pats me down from time to time!! before she will cuddle up to me on the couch and watch some TV

Most people are very oblivious. Even casual concealment is more then sufficient for the vast majority of society. As someone who has carried for more than 10 years, I have found that even though casual concealment works the vast majority of the time, care should be taken to conceal appropiatly, to avoid the oopsies, and disclousers.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Most people are very oblivious. Even casual concealment is more then sufficient for the vast majority of society. As someone who has carried for more than 10 years, I have found that even though casual concealment works the vast majority of the time, care should be taken to conceal appropiatly, to avoid the oopsies, and disclousers.
    After just a few years of EDC I have to agree 100%. As long as there is nothing visible or you aren't printing seriously... it's unlikely that anyone will notice.

To the best of my knowledge I've never been made. At least no one has said anything, or run off screaming.

To be fair though I've never caught anyone else carrying, and I'm looking to some extent anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by link523 View Post
    my wife does not notice mine, she pats me down from time to time!! before she will cuddle up to me on the couch and watch some TV

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    Originally Posted by link523

I can't say it better than that Pappy!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I'm very good at concealed carry, or . . . my wife is oblivious. Tonight, my wife was hugging me and finally noticed that strange lump under my shirt at 3 o'clock.
    I hope it's not the third possibility, that you're not getting enough hugs.

Hopefully, it's the fourth: she's so completely and utterly comfortable with the concept, that it's no longer of any greater interest than the number of buttons on your slacks. (I'm assuming she knew you carried, given the whiff of powder/oil, etc.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    (I'm assuming she knew you carried, given the whiff of powder/oil, etc.)
    She knew I had a permit, and pistols, and that I carried occaisonally. I made a conscious decision to not tell her when I started carrying full time. I wanted to see how long it would take her to notice, as a test for myself (not testing her).

Thanks to this 7 month experiment, my comfort level about my gun being concealed is very high. We spend a lot of time together in close contact, and it took her 7 months to notice. Even then, it was tactile, not visual cues that tipped her off. Most folks aren't going to be touching my waist.

Senior Moderator
    LOL.. My husband and I routinely "discover" each other's guns. Not visually, mostly from feeling.

It's pretty customary that I wrap my arms around him when waiting for anything. I usually put my arms under his shirt and hold onto the grip of his gun. He often responds by wrapping his arms around me and resting his hand on mine.

We look like we are hugging each other (which we are, make no mistake, we are a very affectionate couple) but God help the poor fool who thinks this affectionate position makes us vulnerable.

I'm so accustomed to feeling a gun on him that when I DON'T feel it I get surprised (which usually means he decided to carry in a different place that day and I just haven't found it yet ).

Like Dman said, people are pretty oblivious. They more readily assume a bulge is a cell phone or something similar before they assume weapon.

Is that a Blackberry in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Limatunes, my congratulations to you and your good husband; thou hast the right idea!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I think you don't get enough hugs

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Here's a good place to post an experience I had at OLD NAVY.

I was trying on some cargo shorts for summer, because I got too fat for last year's.

Long story short, I walk out with the shorts in hand and didn't realize my shirt was tucked nicely behind the grip of my SP101. The attendant noticed, but it didn't phase her.

A few other people were glaring, which made me check my shirt. It was almost as if I were a super hot model walking by. Their eyes were just glued to my hip. I just laughed through the store to tell my wife.

Nothing else happened after that, but it sure was funny.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Links