Tough Guys at the Gun Store Today - Page 2

Tough Guys at the Gun Store Today

This is a discussion on Tough Guys at the Gun Store Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick story for you: While in the US Navy, I believe this was in 1987 or so, I was stationed on board the USS Wisconsin, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quick story for you:

While in the US Navy, I believe this was in 1987 or so, I was stationed on board the USS Wisconsin, BB-64 and Iowa Class Battleship. While the ship was being overhauled in Pascagoula Mississippi, before it was ready for a crew to come aboard, we were all in pre-comm detachment in Norfolk VA. With nothing much to do the Navy sent us to every school they could find to keep us busy and out of trouble.

We went to several marksmanship schools and one in particular was on the amphib base. We were driven to the base on one of the old Navy school buses and while we were on the way over there was one guy who would not shut up. He knew everything about guns there was to know. I knew this because he told us all that he knew everything.
    He said he was an expert shot. He had shot and owned many guns. He was going to make expert. He wanted to be a sniper (in the Navy? ) and he went on and on. I knew then that he was full of it and probably had never fired a gun before boot camp.

When his time came to shoot the course, he couldn't hit the side of a barn if he was inside. He complained that there was something wrong with his 1911. After complaining for several minutes a Chief Gunnersmate (one of the instructors) walks over, takes the gun from him and put a whole magazine into one ragged hole the size of soda can bottom. He hands the gun back to Mr. Loudmouth and says: "There's nothing wrong with the gun, you are just a crappy shot."

Everyone just fell out laughing at Mr. Loudmouth. He was humiliated and ended up failing the course and not qualifying that day.

He was much quieter on the bus ride back to Naval Station Norfolk. Unfortunately it is rare to see the Mr. Loudmouths of the world actually get put in their places. But when you do get to see it, it is pretty sweet.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    I'll occasionally come across the stereotypical redneck bad-ass wannabe that most liberals associate with gun enthusiasts. They definitely hurt our cause & image...
    They are always the ones that the news picks to interview. They are all over the place sometimes you just have to shake your head and chuckle.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

I was looking at a Colt Combat Commander at my favorite shop a while back and a loudmouth kept talking about how great his Springfield was - I like SAs just fine (and carry a Mil-Spec) but this guy just wouldn't shut up. I finally turned and asked him which model he had, he puffed out his chest and said "1911!" I pointed to the Springfield case and said "Yeh, but which one: Mil-Spec, Loaded FS, Champion, Micro compact ...?" He quickly shut his trap and walked to the back to look at holsters ... I wonder why? The guy behind the counter almost busted out laughing himself.
    Jack

What gets me are the guys that walk around gun shows all bowed up and acting tuff because they have a gun on their hip. Yeah buddy, we know, we all have them!

Ron
    This is a bit off topic, but closely related enough for me to feel comfortably posting it. When we moved to Florida six years ago, we met a couple with whom we became quite friendly. He is in his 80's. I knew that he had served in the army during WWII, but nothing more. He never spoke about his war experiences, until last month when I finally got him to open up, and if you can believe this, it turns out that he was one of the most highly decorated veterans of the War, including three purple hearts, one of which he got at Normandy.

So, yes, more often then not the true heroes, are guys who really know their stuff and don't brag about it.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron; May 6th, 2007 at 03:02 PM.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Sounds like they belong at a BBQ. They can have their BBQ guns too.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

The best thing to do is refer those guys to your local recruiting office. If someone wants to shoot "bad guys" at 600 yards with a deer rifle and scrape them off the fence with his "shotty", thats just the kind of idiot we need to take orders in the military.

Oh...wait...I'm in the....military....

Well, I guess it takes all kinds. But at least they could take orders and scrub toilets or something - get a dose of reality.

New Member Array SonOfMallNinja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I think the proper term is, "Mall Ninja".

Hey, that's my daddy yer talkin' 'bout!!

Actually, I KNOW how much I don't know. That's why I keep my trap shut. Fortunately, I also know who to listen to just for entertainment.

I thought the term was Special farces, or the elephant SEALS, I unfortunately used to be one of these guys when I was younger and it took a man a I respect very much to tell me to shut my trap. He told me to never brag and to always let the other guys ask the questions and never volunteer information unless necessary, and his final tip was to never be the last person talking, (so someone better post after this, or I will violate my own rule). That person was my Scoutmaster of all people, to this day I still respect those words.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It's cool to be able to reflect on a person who was an influential teacher who impressed on you a valuable life lesson. Bet you're going to remember that scoutmaster till your dying day, gladly.

He's still alive, but I already remember my dad that way, and know that I always will.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    I was looking at a Colt Combat Commander at my favorite shop a while back and a loudmouth kept talking about how great his Springfield was - I like SAs just fine (and carry a Mil-Spec) but this guy just wouldn't shut up. I finally turned and asked him which model he had, he puffed out his chest and said "1911!" I pointed to the Springfield case and said "Yeh, but which one: Mil-Spec, Loaded FS, Champion, Micro compact ...?" He quickly shut his trap and walked to the back to look at holsters ... I wonder why? The guy behind the counter almost busted out laughing himself.
    Jack
    I may have seen the same gentleman (or another very like him) there about four years ago? He couldn't stop talking about how great this and that was to the other person who was with him, and how a given handgun caliber would stop a charging rhino or whatever dead in its tracks--the lady behind the counter and I looked at each other and just rolled our eyes.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Can some one give me a scenario where you would need to shot someone at 600 yards during a earthquake, or any other natural disaster?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I love guys like that - won a lot of money from them before my eyes got old. Sadly, most of them had a lot more mouth than money.

They also keep the gun makers rich - it's never that they can't shoot, it's always that they need a better gun.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    This is a bit off topic, but closely related enough for me to feel comfortably posting it. When we moved to Florida six years ago, we met a couple with whom we became quite friendly. He is in his 80's. I knew that he had served in the army during WWII, but nothing more. He never spoke about his war experiences, until last month when I finally got him to open up, and if you can believe this, it turns out that he was one of the most highly decorated veterans of the War, including three purple hearts, one of which he got at Normandy.

So, yes, more often then not the true heroes, are guys who really know their stuff and don't brag about it.

Ron
    yep, just another reason they're part of "the greatest generation."

I've heard that before of the WWII vets, no bragging or even talking about their experiences at all - and only to be found out after their death at a funeral or in the local news, that they were some amazing hero at some battle or earned tons of medals for this and that.
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Can some one give me a scenario where you would need to shot someone at 600 yards during a earthquake, or any other natural disaster?
    WE can't, but then again, we're not experts either. I think you should go to this gun shop and ask them.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links