Tough Guys at the Gun Store Today

This is a discussion on Tough Guys at the Gun Store Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the gun store today to pick up some ammo when I overheard a conversation between two guys talking about plans for a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough Guys at the Gun Store Today

Tough Guys at the Gun Store Today

I went to the gun store today to pick up some ammo when I overheard a conversation between two guys talking about plans for a natural disaster (earthquake). First guy says, that his deer rifle would "take out anyone within 600 yards". The other guy, not to be out done states, that his "shotty" would scrape them off his fence". Fellas, I could not help but laugh out loud. I paid for my merchandise and left.

Is it just me or are there more people that just talk about what they might do rather than do what they wish they could. I've seen these two around before at a couple of local shoots and they always seem to have one new guy/girl hanging around them so they can "show them the ropes". These are the type who give their opinions to people who never asked for it, and are never seen without their Kimber custom classic that is cradled in a custom holster made out of lizard lips (the rarest kind). I know he carries a Kimber because he lets everyone know within shouting distance that, "Jeff Cooper handled it 10 years ago while he was at the ranch". Uhhhhh......yeah, dude, whatever "the ranch" is.

I normally attend a monthly shoot with friends and family, but am quite and reserved about words I speak to others. I have always found it appropiate to be silent if you don't know much about a subject, than give information that is false, untrue, or that can hurt somebody. I don't know why I laughed but the nonsense these two talk is just overwhelming sometimes. Man, if they only could hear how they sound to other people...................ridiculous.

I kind of wish I hadn't laughed but I just couldn't take it anymore. Even my friend who works the counter called me later because he knew it bothered me that I laughed, and said not to worry about it. Apparently after I left one of them had asked "what my problem was". They were told in no uncertain terms that the gun shop was not the range and they were not to be hanging out 5 hours every saturday. Anyways.............I know it was wrong for me to laugh and it wont happen again. Anyone ever have one of those people that you just don't want to listen to anymore?.....................Woolybear

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    are there more people that just talk about what they might do rather than do what they wish they could.
    They are plentiful! I call some of them Walter Mitty types! I think they enjoy fantasizing but unfortunately they often expand that to lay it on ears that do not want to hear it (without laughing! )

Anyone ever have one of those people that you just don't want to listen to anymore?.....................
    . that's for sure
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I call them Armchair Commandos.

You will learn to wade through the BS on to the folks that really know what the deal is. Once you find someone like this, cling to them and soak up as much knowledge as you can. I have met my fair share of the wannabees, but thankfully I have met a few guys with extensive training and experience that have begun to take me under their wing. I hang on their every word because I truly want to learn everything I can about defensive shooting....and trust me I have a long way to go and alot to learn.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; May 5th, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Lead Moderator
    Unfortunately , yes . there are always at least 1 goofus who can't keep his foot separate from his mouth.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yup, and unfortunately he's one of my buddies. At the range we just plane 'ol don't know him.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Senior Moderator
    Are you sure you weren't at our gun shop?

We have two guys who come in almost every single day and talk the same crap. They hang out for HOURS upon HOURS and talk about how this guys laser sights are better than these. They put guns on layaway and come back the next week and take them off. They special order the stupidest stuff.

They are very nice and friendly and we all just laugh.

They know a lot about some things but volunteer all they know about what they know and sometimes what they don't know.

I think every gun shop has the 'floaters.'

You learn to offer them coffee and laugh at their stories and get all the entertainment value you can from their stories.

I have found in my experience that the less a person says in unsolicited conversation generally the wiser that person is. It is the ones who talk incessantly that usually don't know what they are talking about. I believe Ben Franklin once said. "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it an prove you are one." It may have been the Bible, I'm not sure but I remember the quote well.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is put off by these people. Most of the gunshops I've been to have well-mannered customers but I'll occasionally come across the stereotypical redneck bad-ass wannabe that most liberals associate with gun enthusiasts. They definitely hurt our cause & image...

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually did this?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you found a couple of rank amatures , the truly talented liars do it online at a couple of other ( unnamed ) forums lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I call them Armchair Commandos.
    I think the proper term is, "Mall Ninja".

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Are you sure you weren't at our gun shop? We have two guys who come in almost every single day and talk the same crap. They hang out for HOURS ...
    Hey, at least y'all have a fan club. Not everyone does. Gunnie groupies. Imagine that.

Yeah, I've bumped into a few. Most have much to say about gear, much incorrect thinking about situations, and many downright stupid and illegal things about the laws. The better shops around here don't tolerate loitering and keep "the trash" swept up pretty well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Pro 17:28 Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive. NKJV

Words to live by.

1943 - 2009
    Woolybear, your friend was right. Don't worry about it. I would have laughed at these nimrods, too.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Been there, seen them. They are everywhere. I like most am very quiet, don't butt in, love to learn from the real experts..There are some knowledgeable folks out there.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links