Custom Holsters and Too Much Attention for CCW

This is a discussion on Custom Holsters and Too Much Attention for CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about whether custom holsters (OWB) bring too much attention to your carry piece if some how exposed while carrying? You know the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Holsters and Too Much Attention for CCW

Custom Holsters and Too Much Attention for CCW

I was thinking about whether custom holsters (OWB) bring too much attention to your carry piece if some how exposed while carrying? You know the type, custom colors, multi colored, engraved, exotic leathers etc. I think that they are truely works of art, but don't they kind of bring more attention than what we want if carrying concealed?
    I'm just a black or brown sort of guy, with as non descript a carry piece as they come. A black CZ PCR, in a black K&D OWB holster. I haven't seen this talked about before and wondered what everyone else thinks.. I would have made it a poll but I'm not sure how their made.
    Be safe.. CraigJS

2. Remove Ads

Concealed is concealed. If exposed, black, brown, red or green, it doesn't matter. My 2 cents.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    Concealed is concealed. If exposed, black, brown, red or green, it doesn't matter. My 2 cents.
    I agree

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I don't think it would matter. If someone saw the bottom end of it & it's a nice custom job, they might think it's just a high-end holder of some kind.

Of course, concealed is concealed, too. Heck, why do we customize our guns aesthetically? It's concealed, too.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Sponsor
    The nice looking leather is for ME. If anyone else sees it I'm wrong!....right?.... er.... something like that anyway.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Forget about the leather, if anyone sees your GUN, youve failed.

However, with some exceptions, I think custom leather is more about design and functionality than it is about flash.

Look at the sparks summer special, for instance. It's not flashly, but it works every time, will last forever, and is extremely well done.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Concealed is concealed, why do some women buy and wear nice lingera from Victoria Secret, and yet never let me or anyone else see it? Concealed is concealed, doesn't mean mean you can't have something nice on!

Edit:
    This got me to thinking - my wife (who controls the checkbook) likes to purchase nice stuff from Victoria Secret, not that I mind one little bit - but now I have a comeback as to why I need to buy some more nice leather.
    Last edited by DMan; May 6th, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    If I'm going to pay more than $40 for a holster I want something that not just work well, but in case of a BBQ I don't want to spend more money. While Concealed means concealed, we can open carry on our property. Something that is just easier when I'm mowing or in the backyard.

It's kinda like getting getting a custom gearshift. Granny in the next lane won't see the skullhead nob, it's just for your enjoyment.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

If it's an IWB not much is showing in any case.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I think that if you want to go with custom leather or solid gold it does not really matter. It will be canceled. I plan on putting custom grips on my Hi Power, it is one of my concealed carry guns. The only time people see it is at the range “I hope”. If you like a custom leather holster and can afford one, you might as well enjoy it.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Well, you are ONLY talking about OWB here ... and I'll have to admit that I think you've observed something that I've never recognized but I will begin to think about. When people buy IWB's, there is more of an exacting standard of what will conceal well, but when we buy OWB's, we often have different motives.

I liked the example of comparing this to shaft on a car or whatever ... you do it for your own enjoyment and to a lesser extent for a few others who will think it's cool. My entire family - pretty much extended and all male relatives have a permit to carry. If we have a BBQ - guess what - everybody is carrying whether you see it or not. When I take off my coat and reveal that new leather and sharkskin holster -- I have the envy and admiration of my brothers. Yes, it's vanity ... but only in a small measure ... the working man just trying to enjoy a few small things.

I think your observation was very astute.
    Last edited by lance22; May 6th, 2007 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    I was thinking about whether custom holsters (OWB) bring too much attention to your carry piece ...
    Only if exposed or run OWB without a sufficient covering garment. Some are truly beautiful, making quite a statement. "Hey, he's got a gun!" Now, that's quite a statement, too.

Plain black functional, here, as well. K&D Laredo Defender OWB, Fist #2 OWB, Fist #17A IWB. Well-made stuff, but basically designed to fade into the background. Form following function, beautifully. I'm all for an OWB making a good impression on the range, on the ranch. But, since in 5mins nobody's looking at the rig anyway, I don't see it as that important of an issue.

YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For concealed carry, I personally see no reason to buy a lot of cosmetic features, but I don't begrudge those who do. I've been shopping for a paddle holster for open carry, and I admit to being attracted to those manufacturers who offer custom materials, colors and tooling. As long as I am going to be open carrying (and I have to in Virginia when in any alcohol-serving restaraunt) I may as well have my rig look'n good.

Administrator
    Well, if you're going to expose your concealed carry firearm (which you should try hard never to do) you might as well give folks something really nice to look at.
    Bad Guys do not usually carry their illegal firearms in super nice looking exotic leather holsters.

I think a lot of people really appreciate a fine firearm and they want to carry it in an extra nice looking holster that does their personal firearm justice.

Of course they love to show that beautiful new holster off on our forum of like minded gun lovers but, when they "daily carry" in it....they just like "privately knowing" that they have purchased an exceptional holster for themselves.

Holsters are basically utilitarian.
    They are crafted to serve a purpose.
    Some serve that purpose better than others.
    The exotic leathers are just a great superficial embellishment.

Exotic leather will not turn a bad (or poorly designed) holster into a great one.

The top holster makers turn out amazing functional holsters that are just plain rigs.
    The "exotic leather additions" are just icing on an already great tasting piece of cake!
    Just something to make an otherwise fantastic holster a bit more unique and personal to the user.

What is nice about the exotic leathers is that while tanned/stained cowhide all pretty much looks the same - the patterning on the exotics is always slightly different "holster to holster" and therefore the gunner feels like he has got something with a bit of individuality to it.

I appreciate any great holster that does its intended job perfectly - no matter if it's got exotic leather on it or not...as long as it's perfectly designed and finely crafted.

I should add that SOME exotics are more than just decorative.
    For instance Kangaroo being VERY TOUGH.
    Stingray and elephant being very abrasion and wear/scuff resistant.
    Last edited by QKShooter; May 6th, 2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: addition:
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Concealed is concealed, why do some women buy and wear nice lingera from Victoria Secret, and yet never let me or anyone else see it? Concealed is concealed, doesn't mean mean you can't have something nice on!
    Then you're doing something wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    This got me to thinking - my wife (who controls the checkbook) likes to purchase nice stuff from Victoria Secret, not that I mind one little bit - but now I have a comeback as to why I need to buy some more nice leather.
    Wrong. Use that theory, she'll probably stop, and then you'll never have a chance to see any of it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links