PA vs. NJ... CCW

This is a discussion on PA vs. NJ... CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have a job interview in NJ and wondering if any of you reside there and could tell me some of the laws in Jersey ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA vs. NJ... CCW

PA vs. NJ... CCW

i have a job interview in NJ and wondering if any of you reside there and could tell me some of the laws in Jersey and if they honor PA. i guess I'm being a little lazy for i could Google till my brain sogs out but i guess i'm looking for plain answers and not tightly over worded blown out paragraphs.
    What's this button do?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Not honored.

In fact NJ is very anti and have no CCW. Check www.handgunlaws.us for future traveling you might be doing.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

thanks. that is pretty clear. hm, and to think i live a stones throw from the border. i guess i'll be getting a lock box for the car or something. ...unless that's a no go as well. thanks for the link.
    What's this button do?

Thumbs down

Lock box is a no-go as well. Unless it is in the trunk. Also the ammo cannot so much as even be in the same container as the firearm. So it will need to be unloaded. If you get stopped and your vehicle is searched, and you have the firearm without being in possession of a NJ firearm purchaser ID card, you will in all probability be spending at least one night in jail. As for the federal peaceable journey laws, it has occurred in the past that state troopers have detained federal agents(on duty) when they found firearms in the vehicle. Travel at your own risk here. When i even go to the range, i bring every piece of paper there is from my purchases just in case, and I honestly don't think any of that would even help me should they see my gear while traveling to or from the range. There's a reason we refer to it as New Germany......

My understanding is don't even think about firearms while in NJ, the thought police might get you.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I live in NJ (no comments please). The only time I'm allowed to have my gun in the car is too and from the range. And then it has to be locked in a case and out of range. Get caught carring and expect to spend 7 years behind bars.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downrange View Post
    thanks. that is pretty clear. hm, and to think i live a stones throw from the border. i guess i'll be getting a lock box for the car or something. ...unless that's a no go as well. thanks for the link.
    As above... but here's something else for you to mull over. You know those expensive premium JHP's you bought for carry? Another ticket to jail in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    In fact NJ is very anti and have no CCW. Check www.handgunlaws.us for future traveling you might be doing.
    Ti
    well actually there are permits to carry there, but very few (and that's putting it mildly) will qualify for them.
    Last edited by thirtyonebravo; May 6th, 2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

New Jersey is a lot like Illinois. If you have any interest in guns, just don't go there. There's 48 other states you can find a job in that are better, like Pennsylvania where you already live. Surely your job situation isn't so dire that you can't find a job elsewhere.

Leave NJ to the criminals.

thanks guys, i thought i would get a response to that (lock box)... as well as i wanted to. for me it's right over the bridge and back again after work (if i get the job). ...Jersey sucks and i got more input here that hours of net surfing so the comments have been great. it would probably be worth it, to go unarmed, because the pay is really good (they offered me extra because i have secret clearance, but i really didn't want to cross the border), I'll save all stops in between in that case until I'm back in my great state. ...yes, proud to be a PA'er.

after my further research of NJ and these comments... my sympathies to all you residents. with your own personal restrictions aside, ...I'd be outta there.
    What's this button do?

Not sure why everyone give NJ such a hardtime. Yes we have extremely strick hand gun control, and it has worked. Afterall we have an extremely low crime rate, and hand guns are never used in any crimes. :)

Anyone want to go for a walk in lovely Camden?

I lived in East Brunswick, NJ for 4 years (which is about 5 too many) and purchased my first handgun there after some druggie renter in my crappy apartment building threatened my wife. Let me tell you about the fun experience of purchasing a gun in NJ, and apologize in advance for the long post...

I went to the local police atation and requested a form for a firearms permit. The lady at the counter (wasn't an officer) was very polite until I asked her for the form. She replied very accusingly "What do you want that for?!" and I politely informed her that it would be for sporting purposes and my I please have the form. (Personal defense isn't a legitimate reason for ownership in NJ- I had been forewarned by the guys in the local gunshop) She replied "just a moment" and walked off. About 5 minutes later, a large uniformed officer came over and grilled me for about 5 minutes- this was just to get the damn paperwork! After getting the form and explaining to me that I'd need 2 letters of recommendation from non-realitives, I would have their decision (to grant me the "right" to possess a firearm) within 60 days. NJ uses a "blue card" system, you have to go and buy a card at the station for $2 which allows you to purchase a single pistol, after you obtain the licencse (with the recomendations, background check and fingerprints). He also said that once I have the license I could return at any time and get another blue card for $2.

I get the forms, pay $45 for prints and have 2 friends (both fellow Eagle Scouts BTW, who have known me for 10+ years) write recomendations. 60 days go by, nothing. 90 days nothing. 4 months later, still nothing. Meanwhile-the cokehead downstairs is regularly making a nusicnce of himself and threating my wife. We have the local cops on speedial, and they inform us that they can't do anything until he actually does something to her. I ponder purchasing an illegal gun which I could do for ~$500 in 20 minutes off of any streetcorner in the next town over...

Finally I go down to the station to see what is up. I'm informed that they have never recieved my letters of recomendation. I get new recomendation forms for my friends and ask that they re-submit the paperwork, signature required upon delivery USPS this time. Another 30 days later (we are ~5 months along now in my legally mandated 60 day process) I go to the station to see what's up. they inform me that "one of my letters has not been recieved" - I produce the two USPS signed reciepts from my friends, and ask them politely, ***? They ignore the reciepts and tell me I need a second recomendation. Fustrated I leave with another copy of the recomendation form, pondering that illegal gun again.

The only thing that is actually keeping me from buying it at this point is that if we need it, and use it, I'm looking at 20 years even in a "justified" use because I don't have a license. (A longer sentence then the cokehead would get for raping my wife btw, his new favorite threat.) Also in NJ you can not travel with a gun at all. If you legally possess one you can only take it from the range to your house and back. If you stop at the Wawa for coffee, you are now transporting it. There have been cases where cops have followed people home from a range, and stopped them at a convienence store and busted them.

About a week later after calling the cops out again for this *******'s threats, I start talking to one of the other people in the building and I relate my licensing tale. He tells me that his brother is a Sergeant on the force and askes me for that recomendation form. I give it to him and 3 days later I get a call my permit is approved and ready.

East Brunswick is the Democratic Seat of NJ but even still, I think this is just a disgusting travesty of the law. Also, when I went back to get a second blue card, they informed me that I'd need to go through the entire re-application process again, including prints ($45) and recomendations- even though I already had my license!

Oh and that cokehead downstairs? Well, after I purchased my Beretta 8040 (which is on the for sale forums now btw, I'm in love with a H&K and need the $$) :) I was showing it to the building superintendent who was a bit of a loudmouth and a fan of guns. (One of those guys who hang out in the gunstore all day and boast garbage.) He asked me "why'd you get a .40 over a 9mm?" and I looked him squarely in the eye and said "because the .40 and go through the floor".

The *very* next day, the cokehead stopped threating my wife, stopped playing his music on 10 day and night, and started avoiding us. Over the next month I invited the super to look at my wife's targets on the fridge a few times and within a month the cokehead moved out of the building. We never even had to brandish it.

Our story is one of those that never make the news, but has made both my wife and I gun advocates for life.
    Last edited by HighwaymanRider; May 7th, 2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

Sorry to hear about your experience. I lived in EB for about 15 years moved out in '88, currently live in Robbinsville (mercer County). it took me about 4 months to get the permit once I submitted the forms. The detective I deal with was extremely polite and helpful (ex military). While talking I had said I want to target shoot only and had young children so I wouldn't be keep ammo in my house. Via his attitude and comments he convinced me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by HighwaymanRider View Post
    I lived in East Brunswick, NJ for 4 years (which is about 5 too many) and purchased my first handgun there after some druggie renter in my crappy apartment building threatened my wife. Let me tell you about the fun experience of purchasing a gun in NJ, and apologize in advance for the long post...

I went to the local police atation and requested a form for a firearms permit. The lady at the counter (wasn't an officer) was very polite until I asked her for the form. She replied very accusingly "What do you want that for?!" and I politely informed her that it would be for sporting purposes and my I please have the form. (Personal defense isn't a legitimate reason for ownership in NJ- I had been forewarned by the guys in the local gunshop) She replied "just a moment" and walked off. About 5 minutes later, a large uniformed officer came over and grilled me for about 5 minutes- this was just to get the damn paperwork! After getting the form and explaining to me that I'd need 2 letters of recommendation from non-realitives, I would have their decision (to grant me the "right" to possess a firearm) within 60 days. NJ uses a "blue card" system, you have to go and buy a card at the station for $2 which allows you to purchase a single pistol, after you obtain the licencse (with the recomendations, background check and fingerprints). He also said that once I have the license I could return at any time and get another blue card for $2.

I get the forms, pay $45 for prints and have 2 friends (both fellow Eagle Scouts BTW, who have known me for 10+ years) write recomendations. 60 days go by, nothing. 90 days nothing. 4 months later, still nothing. Meanwhile-the cokehead downstairs is regularly making a nusicnce of himself and threating my wife. We have the local cops on speedial, and they inform us that they can't do anything until he actually does something to her. I ponder purchasing an illegal gun which I could do for ~$500 in 20 minutes off of any streetcorner in the next town over...

Finally I go down to the station to see what is up. I'm informed that they have never recieved my letters of recomendation. I get new recomendation forms for my friends and ask that they re-submit the paperwork, signature required upon delivery USPS this time. Another 30 days later (we are ~5 months along now in my legally mandated 60 day process) I go to the station to see what's up. they inform me that "one of my letters has not been recieved" - I produce the two USPS signed reciepts from my friends, and ask them politely, ***? They ignore the reciepts and tell me I need a second recomendation. Fustrated I leave with another copy of the recomendation form, pondering that illegal gun again.

The only thing that is actually keeping me from buying it at this point is that if we need it, and use it, I'm looking at 20 years even in a "justified" use because I don't have a license. (A longer sentence then the cokehead would get for raping my wife btw, his new favorite threat.) Also in NJ you can not travel with a gun at all. If you legally possess one you can only take it from the range to your house and back. If you stop at the Wawa for coffee, you are now transporting it. There have been cases where cops have followed people home from a range, and stopped them at a convienence store and busted them.

About a week later after calling the cops out again for this *******'s threats, I start talking to one of the other people in the building and I relate my licensing tale. He tells me that his brother is a Sergeant on the force and askes me for that recomendation form. I give it to him and 3 days later I get a call my permit is approved and ready.

East Brunswick is the Democratic Seat of NJ but even still, I think this is just a disgusting travesty of the law. Also, when I went back to get a second blue card, they informed me that I'd need to go through the entire re-application process again, including prints ($45) and recomendations- even though I already had my license!

Oh and that cokehead downstairs? Well, after I purchased my Beretta 8040 (which is on the for sale forums now btw, I'm in love with a H&K and need the $$) :) I was showing it to the building superintendent who was a bit of a loudmouth and a fan of guns. (One of those guys who hang out in the gunstore all day and boast garbage.) He asked me "why'd you get a .40 over a 9mm?" and I looked him squarely in the eye and said "because the .40 and go through the floor".

The *very* next day, the cokehead stopped threating my wife, stopped playing his music on 10 day and night, and started avoiding us. Over the next month I invited the super to look at my wife's targets on the fridge a few times and within a month the cokehead moved out of the building. We never even had to brandish it.

Our story is one of those that never make the news, but has made both my wife and I gun advocates for life.
    um, time to move?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links