Defensive Carry banner

What would you expect from a Concealed Carry Association?

3K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  BIGSAM 
#1 ·
I work in the Association Industry. I am a CAE (Certified Association Executive) which means I took a 4 hours test about all things association related.

There was a post on here last week about CC conventions and that post has got me thinking that we need a really good CC Association.

I would like to know what you think a CC association should do for it's members, and if it did all those things that you think it should do how much would you be willing to pay for dues yearly?

#2 ·
The biggest thing for me would be representation. Keeping us abreast of the issues related to firearm ownership and providing resources. Lobbying for more reciprocity and the like.

Representation at the local and state level would be the biggest thing I would look for. Letting the politicians know we are responsible, we vote, and we are organized.

#7 ·
We have an organization here in Virginia that is all that and more. The VCDL. VCDL spearheaded the effort to make Virginia "shall issue" back in the early 90's, has submitted and successfully lobbied for pro-gun legislation statewide, and keeps it's members informed and mobilized concerning gun-rights issues, and local governments overstepping their bounds. We have been successful in getting pro-gun candidates elected to statewide office. We have also taken the fight to Bloomberg, and have been in the forefront of trying to get the Dept of Interior to write the National Park carry rules to conform to the states where the parks reside.

We do not have a legal assistance program per-se but several attorney's are executive members and we have gone as far as to begin legal proceedings on behalf of members when required.

The VCDL is a good template to follow for a state gun-rights organization.

Membership is $25/year

#3 ·
Legal representation (at the criminal level at least) in cases of self defense. Also to lobby more pro CC laws. I would pay up to $100 a month if there was a good legal plan on it, up to $25 for a good lobby group and less than $25 a year if it just concentrates around clothing/training/and more guns/etc.

#4 ·
Lobby for more pro gun and pro ccw laws.

Good organized shoots and events. A good newsletter or website or combo of the two. Legal services like lawyers to defend you in a good shooting incident both criminal and civil.

I'd be more than willing to pay $100 to $200 a year for that kind of Association.

#6 ·
A good association would provide all the above, but I would not want it to provide represenation - but would want it to help recuit and refer to good self defense represenation. If it was revealed in court that the lawyer was being paid by the CC association - there is a huge chance that his/her creditability with the jury would have gone down.

Education and Legisltation should be the focus, but legisltation is more succesfull when it follows education.

#9 ·
What would you expect from a Concealed Carry Association?
No expectations, except that very little could be offered that isn't already covered by the NRA, SAF, JFPO, VCDL and Oregon's own OFF. These each are experienced, long-lived organizations with the research and political muscle behind them, to say nothing of financial power. Recreating even a piece of that in another format will IMO, at least in the short run (<15yrs), dilute the effects of the others.

What would I be prepared to pay for that? None.

#10 ·
I think ccw9 has a point. We don't need a big one so why don't get 50 little ones concentrated on each individual state? There will be one central office that would be the repository of items and issues that affect all states, but each state would work concentratin on stuff relating to that area. From Legal listings to which is the store for CCW supplies, best range, etc. I don't know if I am explaining myself well, sorry guys!

#11 ·
As ccw9 and Miggy said, too many little organizations can fracture the overall voice and clout. There should be specific groups under the national organization which would deal with state/local issues, especially legislative awareness. A unified voice (to the greatest extent possible) on the national scale regarding the 2nd Amendment provides a huge advantage that other more splintered lobby groups just don't have.

#12 ·
I really wonder if a national CCW association would work. Every victory in CCW rights has been at the state level. On that note, if there was one, I'd expect one that could tailor the fight to each state and give them what they need.

#13 ·
No one has said anything about Public Relations.

Would it be important to you and if so how important for your association to run TV, Radio, and Print advertisements telling the general public about CC in your state?

Informing the public of the good things CC holders do and informing them about the state laws concerning weapons.

#17 ·
Call me ignorant but i don't think we need a national concealed carry law, I think it is a states rights issue, if the hanky-stomping, pany twisters want a state where guns are banned then let them have it, just don't force it on the rest of us. I think a concealed carry association would be a good idea, especially one that kept us informed of the relavent laws in each state. Also legal coverage would be great. Some of us don't have state firearms associations or if we do they are not very good. When I lived in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia I was in the CRPA, a good organization in a anti-gun environment.

#18 ·
Call me ignorant but i don't think we need a national concealed carry law, I think it is a states rights issue, if the hanky-stomping, pany twisters want a state where guns are banned then let them have it, just don't force it on the rest of us.
The problem that we run into is that if one state says no then other small groups in other states look to them as inspiration and precedent that they can do it too. The next thing you know you are having to fight for everything all over again.

#23 ·
I want a huge media campaign. I want to hear it on the radio, see a commercial at least once or twice an hour during prime time to kill the "taboo" thing about carrying guns.

Why did single mothers become OK? Only because they became more visible. Lets be visible!

#24 ·
I'm very pro the idea of having associations in each state. The laws vary so much, as does the political landscape, that it almost requires state level organization. From a state point of view, I'd want lots of political information, forums to interact with politicians, etc, as well as possibly some conventions or get togethers where we could all meet and share our experiences. We do a bit of that with our Kansas concealed carry online forum... it's more tailored to our unique needs, and we are using it to organize the first annual Kansas CCL barbeque...

#30 ·
How about some insurance to settle the sure to follow "unlawful death" suit.
Not needed, with appropriate legislation to disallow any civil lawsuits except after findings of "guilty" in a criminal trial, in cases of self-defense against felonious assault. It truly is double-indemnity and should have no place in the courts. If adjudged justified, it should be exactly that. Shouldn't need extra insurance, if that little gem of a loophole is closed, as it is in several states.

#28 ·
A couple people mentioned USCCA (U.S. Concealed Carry Association). What do you get besides a magazine and a forum?

#29 ·
You bring up a good point...what do you get? A well put together resource. I have found the premium content to be invaluable. Tim's efforts in public education on concealed carry have done very much for bring new gun enthusiast into the shooting sports. Check out the site; I'm sure you'll see the content fresh and something not available elsewhere. The magazine is also well produced. The more you become involved the better it gets; that's all I can say.

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.