Pro-Campus Carry Op-ed in Ohio State Lantern - Page 2

Pro-Campus Carry Op-ed in Ohio State Lantern

This is a discussion on Pro-Campus Carry Op-ed in Ohio State Lantern within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going through fairfield for mine...permanent address is there and I figure the sheriffs are a bit for open about it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro-Campus Carry Op-ed in Ohio State Lantern

Going through fairfield for mine...permanent address is there and I figure the sheriffs are a bit for open about it

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    First understand that I believe that the 2nd Amendment means exactly what it says and therefore any adult should be able to carry anywhere unless you have lost your rights under the Constitution.

What would the rest of you think if the University required any Concealed Carry License holder to carry if they attended a University ran concealed carry course, and they were registered with the university?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

The problem with that is in the way it treats college kids as "different". If I am 21, passed the background check and taken my 12 hour course, how is university property any different than a mall or other high volume area?

The arguments about alcohol and college kids carrying, pulling the gun out when a bad grade is handed out etc. is all ridiculous. I checked last night and the Ohio Revised Code already has a zero tolerance law on drinking and handling weapons while intoxicated. Murder or aggravated assault with a deadly weapon is already on the books.

Maybe registration alone with university police, but even then that has bad connotations.

thought I would do this seperate from my previous reply:

here is the author's comments to some of the replies we left on The Lantern website:

Thanks for the comments! The Lantern did leave out my Kleck/Gertz citation, but otherwise it's about what I sent in. Andrew's right about the state law on campus carry. It's been enshrined in the ORC since we got the "privelage" to carry. Keep in mind that many OH colleges spent lobbying time and money ensuring that their Ivory Towers were closed off to CHL licensees, so we ain't talking about innocent educators here.

I'm willing to work on getting another student resolution happening with the next USG administration. If we get enough support and attention we might make a small difference. Then it's on to the Statehouse for the real deal. We'll see what Strickland is made of then. He can't be any worse than those last two #$%^&* gubberners we've suffered under.

So far I've received absolutely no negative feedback on this piece. Wonder if Saul Cornell will crawl out from under his well hidden "Second Amendment Research Center" rock and engage in a little debating? Nah, I've tried that before. He's pretty shy on his own campus for a so-called "professor."

Remember that "no CCW on campus" is only one problem we have here at OSU. We still need a comprehensive crime prevention program, as well as to get up to force levels regarding police, police dispatchers and counselors. (I think we are 15 or 19 police officers understaffed.) No men's self-defense class, broken or unlocked doors out the ying-yang, and a few other things are wrong as well.

OSU needs a lot of work as the crime rate will doubtless keep rising in the coming years. Watch for our tax money to be spent instead on new buildings, new decorations and raises for all the bigwigs.

Karl
    http://www.thelantern.com/home/index...7-bd389d4425c5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links