How to travel with CC

This is a discussion on How to travel with CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Limatunes has sumed it up nicely. Also remember the airlines limit you to 2 checked bags now before they start charging you extra. So your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to travel with CC

Limatunes has sumed it up nicely. Also remember the airlines limit you to 2 checked bags now before they start charging you extra. So your checked gun will count as one of those 2 checked bags. Be sure to get yourself a sturdy & lockable case. SKB makes some nice ones.

2. Remove Ads

Hawaii, South Korea, North Carolina, or Guam...or deployed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    What do you mean? If you try to leave the airport? What about if you have to catch a connecting flight there?

I can't imagine why I'd ever visit NJ. NY and DC I can understand because there's actually interesting stuff there, but NJ? What's there that's worth the trip to see?
    I know what he's referring to. I read a story where a man was flying through NY but there was a problem with the plane. Passengers were given hotel rooms and told to return the next day for another flight. He did so, and when he attempted to declare his firearm the trouble started. He ended up getting arrested for having an un-registered pistol in NY, and had a bad time getting the mess untangled. Even had to spend a night or two in Jail, if I recall the story correctlly.

NORMAL PROCEDURES: When you don't fly direct, you have connecting flights and your bags are normally checked through to the destination city. When you are flying this way, you don't have to worry about it. Your checked luggage will simply transfer to the connecting flight w/o you having to do anything.

However, occasionally (avoid this if you can), you'll have two separate tickets where you have to pick up your checked baggage and then check them in again for the next flight. If you do this, then you'll have to declare your firearms all over again.

To be safe, check the laws of the city where you are flying through even if your bags are going to be checked all the way to your destination. This way if the plane has a problem and you collect your bags for an overnight stay, you won't have problems when you go to declare your firearms again to check in for the replacement flight. Most cities are OK with it. However, like was mentioned, NY is not, and there might be other cities that could give you headaches as well.

Out here.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Limatunes has sumed it up nicely. Also remember the airlines limit you to 2 checked bags now before they start charging you extra. So your checked gun will count as one of those 2 checked bags. Be sure to get yourself a sturdy & lockable case. SKB makes some nice ones.
    sass - we just stowed the gun cases inside one of our checked bags. No extra costs.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Fly southWest if you can they are great with checked firearms!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links