How to travel with CC

How to travel with CC

This is a discussion on How to travel with CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am headed on a trip in about a month and will have to be going via air. Was wondering if anyone knows how to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to travel with CC

I am headed on a trip in about a month and will have to be going via air. Was wondering if anyone knows how to go about traveling with your CC?

Senior Moderator
    Check out the information here.

1. You cannot carry your weapon on the plane, you must check it. (I know this may seem incredibly obvious but some people still ask so I'll just cover that base right off the bat. )

2. Go to the TSA website and print off their policy regarding firearms on flights.

3. Call the airline, check on their policy for firearms on their flights (all airlines must abide by the TSA policy but they can also extend a stricter policy if they would like and it may keep you from flying or taking your guns with you if you aren't aware of their policy.)

4. All firearms must be in a hard-sided, lockable case and they must be empty.

5. Ammunition can be taken with you but in a limited amount and it should go in a separate container than your firearms (TSA provides that it can go in the same case as your guns but a lot of times it doesn't fit and again, the airline might have a different policy on ammunition so call the airline).

6. Arrange all of your firearms in the case so that they can be easily checked to be sure they are clear without much touching and moving (i.e. locking the slide open and placing it in the case sans the magazine in a way so that a glance in the chamber will indicate that it is, indeed, empty).

7. When you check in at the airport declare your firearms. They will want to see them and place a slip of paper in the case with your firearms indicating that they have looked at them and approved them.

8. Be courteous to the security personell and be prepared to unlock and show your guns as you will be required do to so.

9. Know the transportation, carry and reciprocity laws of your destination states (including any state that you may have a layover in) you don't want to get your guns taken away because you failed to know the laws of the state you are entering.

10. If possible, get a non-stop flight to cut down on the number of unfamiliar hands that will be within access to your firearms.

That should be it.

Enjoy your flight and stay safe.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 7th, 2007 at 02:45 PM.

VIP Member
    Check TSA regs and your airline's policies. There are a couple airlines that do not allow firearms of any kind on their aircraft. I don't recall because they aren't airlines I fly. If you comply with the TSA and your airline's policies on firearms transport you should not have any problems. People do it everyday.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

There are few threads that have addressed this (i.e search function). Limatunes hit the nail on the head.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Don't forget to be sure that it is legal at your destination(s).

Another option is to overnight it to yourself (if you know where you will be staying). That way you can keep those prying TSA hands, and potentially others away from it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Also make sure to keep the ammo in a regular cardboard ammo box like they come in from the factory. You can't keep them in magazines or speedloaders.

However, I do believe TSA allows the ammo (boxed) to be kept in the same case as the weapon. But it certainly doesn't hurt to keep it separate just in case someone gets a bug up their ass.

Also good idea to purchase additional insurance for your luggage if you're traveling with valuable firearms. I flew once with my Baer and my Sig and the insurance for my luggage would have been $500 or so - not going to cut it. So I paid the extra $50 bucks just in case and had a lot more peace of mind.

Stay out of states like NJ or NY. You may fly in without a problem but may very likely be arrested when you try to leave with the gun. This has happened several times in the near past.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

TSA didn't seem to care about the ammo in the original box, but Delta did not like that it was in the same case as your firearm. I was once asked to just put it in my wife's suitcase, when we got home she had centerfire handgun rounds just floating around. Now I make sure to bring two seperate lockable cases.

Flying is pretty easy, sometimes it is even faster to fly with firearms b/c when you tell the person directing you which line to check in at that you are declaring a firearm you often times jump to the front of one of the lines.

Have fun!

This subject needs to be a permanent sticky.

Thank Lima, and the rest. Will hope to have a safe trip and report if I have any problems.

Lima said it all. Good advice.

I have flown (something I hate to do, fly) with my gun in my checked bag several times. I have never had a real problem with anything in the process.

Print out the TSA website page that spells out what to do and have it with you when you check in so when or if the TSA agent you deal with does not know their own policy you can show it to them. They won't like that but there isn't much they can do about it.

Good luck.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My wife and I flew for the first time with our firearms this past week. No big deal except for a little additional stress. Flying out of Columbus, the first lady wasn't sure if we could check two firearms in a single bag and it held us up for a little bit as she checked the regulations. The other odd thing about flying out of Columbus - she had us open our luggage and clear our weapons right there in line - in front of everyone. That was a little strange.

Flying out of Denver was a little more hassle - but they didn't even ask us to open the firearms cases - they took us back to a separate room and scanned the luggage and checked it there.

Ammo was not a problem either time - was in original packaging.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Stay out of states like NJ or NY. You may fly in without a problem but may very likely be arrested when you try to leave with the gun. This has happened several times in the near past.
    What do you mean? If you try to leave the airport? What about if you have to catch a connecting flight there?

I can't imagine why I'd ever visit NJ. NY and DC I can understand because there's actually interesting stuff there, but NJ? What's there that's worth the trip to see?

Hawaii, South Korea, North Carolina, or Guam...or deployed.
    I fly all the time and have extensive experience with this. Extensive.

What Lima said is spot on.

I'd like to add though, that most airline workers are not familiar with their own firearm policies, and some can even become nervous at the thought of checking someone in with a firearm. Despite this, as long as you follow what Lima said, you'll have no problems.

One thing you should not allow, is to have the "Firearm" tag they will give you tagged to the outside of your luggage. I've had one airline worker try to do this. The tag goes either inside the locked pistol case, or sometimes they'll tie it to the outside of the locked pistol case. None of the airlines require the outside of your checked baggage to be tagged "Firearm" inside. If the worker says to do that, don't - they're mistaken. Ask to speak with someone else. If you tag the outside of your checked baggage you're asking for your pistol to be stolen.

Another thing you can do (and you can do this even if you are not carrying weapons) is to have your checked baggage locked. Just tell them you'd like to have your bags locked, and they'll send you over to TSA to have them inspect your bags. Once they're done you can secure your checked baggage with a lock.

Another thought - if you travel to the same place often, you might want to consider buying another firearm and leave it there. I fly to North Carolina often enough that instead of taking my firearm with me, I have bought a duplicate weapon and have it stored there. This way I don't have to bother with flying with a weapon.

Out here and good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links