My little chat with a LEO today. . .

This is a discussion on My little chat with a LEO today. . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was at work (mall) and one of the many cops there came up to me and we started to talk a little. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My little chat with a LEO today. . .

So I was at work (mall) and one of the many cops there came up to me and we started to talk a little. I asked him a couple of questions about where he works and how he likes it. He gave me the normal answers that he liked the job. So then I asked him what he and his station thought about CCW. He looked at me and said the only big problem that we have are the crazy guys tht think they can drink and carry at the bar. I was like wht they do? He said but for the most part people that carry are the good guys and that everyone that he met was calm cool and collective. It was kind of cool to her a LEO take the CCW side. Just thought I would share that with you guys.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Assistant Administrator
    I also am warmed to meet and chat with pro guys, and there are many.

I do recall tho one local sheriff who seemed less than enthusiastic ........ I had gone to SO to get finger printed for my FL non res application. He was efficient and courteous but I detected an under current of vague hostility ... and reading between the lines felt that he perhaps was not keen on Joe Public being armed.

People locally tho tend to find more reserve on the CCW deal from the very young state troopers.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Several of my detective buddies are all in favor of CCW, and a couple of them are jealous that I can carry a 1911 and they can't (Dept. issue for on duty, and recommended for off duty for legal reasons.)

I find it amusing when a couple of them come in with a new Det. or rookie and they want me to show the new guy my carry piece.

Now some of the blue shirts think that CCW is a stupid idea and that civilians shouldn't carry or don't have a need to.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I think in the not too distant past a lot of LEO came from the military and were used to guns. Now it is common for new recruits to come in without ever firing a weapon in their life.

Every time I've ran across an SDA member (that stands for Self Defense Act here in Oklahoma) I always talk a little shop with 'em. You know - guns and gear and such. I think it's the best thing since a pocket on a shirt!

But then again...I'm just an Okie. Just down home folk who believes in the very first rule of a gunfight:

Rule #1: Bring a gun. Bring two guns. Bring all of your FRIENDS who have guns. If given the choice, have all of your friends bring LONG guns!

The majority of LEO's are in favor, it's the Sheriff's and the Chief's of Police that are not a lot of the time. I have yet to meet an anti LEO.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    I think it depends on the locale. If the Sheriff is an elected official, he may tend to side with politicians. I know several Broward's SO who like the idea that civilians can carry even though BSO's head is very antigun and was never a LEO but some 2 bit politician who got elected to the job.

The LEOs that I know say about CCW: "Less crime, less work for me." but I know they hate so see good people being victimized and are in favor of people defending themselves.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    +1 on the Sheriff having a higher chance of being anti then a non-elected LEO. Nature of the (political) beast, I suppose...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    ...I've run into more than a few fellow fed LEOs that weren't keen on private citizens CCW'ing.....I've tried to do my part by convincing them otherwise.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    srfl... move out of Palm Beach county
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    +1 on the Sheriff having a higher chance of being anti then a non-elected LEO. Nature of the (political) beast, I suppose...
    Actually, I believe just the opposite. A sheriff has to worry about ******* off his or her constituents, and will generally err on the side of caution and the citizenry, in order to remain in office - in this case, he would tend to be pro-CCW. The Chief of Police, on the other hand, is appointed to his job by the Mayor, and often is enticed to sway in whatever direction the Mayor wants in order for the Chief to remain employed. This gives the Chief more opportunity to ignore the citizens that oppose his possible anti-CCW stance.

The Anti's?

I always tell them that the day they can garantee me 100% that no bad guys or crazy people will have or use a weapon is the day I won't bother to have one either... and of course they won't need them as well. Some day eh? One can hope...

I look at CCWers as an ally, if I ever MY SHTF!

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I don't know but it would seem to me that an elected Sheriff would be more pro gun than a appointed Police Chief. I don't know any of either but how about it LEOs do you find that there are more Sheriffs or more Police Chiefs that are anti??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Boy I have seen more Sherrif's lose an election because they took an anti-ccw/anti-gun stance then win. Especially when the countie's have a large rural base.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links