Any closet screen writers on this forum?

This is a discussion on Any closet screen writers on this forum? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This forum is full of geniuses, you people that can articulate better than most newspaper and TV reporters, so I think you will excel at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any closet screen writers on this forum?

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Any closet screen writers on this forum?

This forum is full of geniuses, you people that can articulate better than most newspaper and TV reporters, so I think you will excel at this task.

I am just wondering what kind a 60 second PSA (Public Service Announcement) you guys and gals could write about one of these subjects: Concealed Carry, the 2nd Amendment, The Castle Doctrine, gun safety, and any other weapon related topic.

So try your hand at screen writing and see what we can come up with.

Tell us what, if any the background music will be and if it is a TV spot tell us what the visual would be.

Then let’s figure out how we can get them made and out to the TV and Radio Stations across this great country.
    Last edited by Timmy Jimmy; May 8th, 2007 at 03:23 PM.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    you want all that in 60 seconds?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I was watching a 101 dalmations the other night with my daughter, and started laughing when the two hired bad guys did a home invasion to kidnap the puppies.

I was thinking to myself that this would make a great commercial with the caption at the end "Britains gun control obviously did not stop the criminals."
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    OK, something along this idea OK? Sorry about the quality but I ain't got the skills.

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Miggy, that was so nerve racking. It gave me chills to listen to her scream.

Anyway, here is my little pea-brain idea.

The antis like to control the population with fear... Be afraid of the guns. Guns kill and COULD KILL YOUR CHILDREN. People who carry are bad and evil and will shoot you if you cut them off in traffic... and so on and so on...

Fear is a powerful motivator. In fact it is the second most powerful motivator second only to love.

I, personally, don't like trying to scare people into being pro gun. People are already scared in general. They are ALREADY scared that someone is going to break into their house, why else to they get alarms and dogs and so on. They are already scared for the safety of their family, they are already scared of wackos and weirdos (and because the media has painted us as such they are afraid of us).

I think the best thing to do would be to start showing the positive, peaceful side of weaponry and concealed carry. That, yes, while it is a means to protect ourselves from evil people we are still loving, gentle, considerate, helpful people.

I would love to see commercials where we directly refute the common myths.

Commercial #1

Lets say the commercial starts out showing a man getting ready for the morning and strapping on his gun.

He gets in the car and is driving down the road and someone cuts him off and almost gets him in an accident. They then over correct and get into an accident themselves.

The concealed carrier stops, gets out of his car and goes the the person's aide, calling the police, assisting in any way possible and showing compassion and care.

I think that message would be a strong one.

Commercial #2

Or perhaps another commercial where a mother is getting ready for the day and straps on her handgun.

Later she goes to her child's soccer game and is supportive and encouraging even though another mother or father is criticizing her son's playing ability. She ignores the insults and continues to be supportive and positive.

After the game she hugs her son and tells him he did a fabulous job and gives him a kiss and asks him if he wants to get some ice cream.

Commercial #3

Another good one would be at a young man who decides to go out with his friends. Again, you see him strap on his concealed weapon.

His friends want to go to a sports bar and get sloshed. He volunteers to be the designated driver and you see him be responsible as he ensures that all of his friends get home safely.

Commercial #4

Or another one where you see a man and a woman getting ready to go on a date together. Each straps on their handguns and go out together.

You see that they are very much in love and they hold hands and smile at one another and are polite and courteous to their wait-staff, and you get to see how completely comfortable and happy they are despite the fact that they both are carrying guns. Maybe to add a little drama you could have a waiter or waitress spill a drink on one of them and they calmly, and happily say that it's alright, and not to worry about it and laugh it off.

I think showing the compassion, gentleness, love and affection of those of us who carry guns would be more beneficial than trying to scare people.

The general populous needs to see that we are normal, helpful, family oriented people.

They need to SEE that just because we have guns doesn't make us scary or evil or bad parents or paranoid or crazy.

But that's just Lima theory.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 8th, 2007 at 10:23 AM.

Screen Writer

Well, I don't know about the rest of you that have commented here, but I think we have a screen writer in our number. Limatunes, you have ideas and you can write. I looked at your blog site. You have the eye of a graphic artist. Are you using a Macintosh? Very nice blog. And as always well thought out post.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Not a screenwriter, but I have done some voice-overs for radio and TV, and was a Top-40 jock in L.A. for a week back in the late '70's (won a contest at a local station).
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    Well, I don't know about the rest of you that have commented here, but I think we have a screen writer in our number. Limatunes, you have ideas and you can write. I looked at your blog site. You have the eye of a graphic artist. Are you using a Macintosh? Very nice blog. And as always well thought out post.

-- Richard
    LOL.. funny you should say that, I had my own graphics art and custom portrait business back when I lived in Wisconsin and going to college.

I made some good money from it and some of my clients have pursued me even to PA. I really enjoy the graphic arts and working with both the written word and the graphic media.

Yes, I use a Mac.

I thought of more "commercials." I guess I could spit out one a minute.

I also think that if you were going to do those type of commercials you would have to have a way to drive home your message.. not sure how just yet.. but I think the message would be pretty clean and positive rather than scary and intimidating.

Lima had some good ideas, Can't watch Miggy's video here.

How about this, with the theory in mind that exposure quells fear of the unknown:

Shots of everyday, normal people (preferably clean cut), all ages/races. The caption on the bottom gives an age and occupation, and maybe city and state?

Anyway, each person says : "I'm (name), I'm an American."

After each person in the clips has said this, then we start over, except this time they say : "I'm a normal guy/girl, and I won't be a victim." End with big emblem of concealed carry organization and waving US Flag and voiceover that says : "Many of your neighbors already choose to protect their families, Choose to protect yours."

Maybe the script could use tweaking? But the greater number of these clips, each with different people starring, the better, I think.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Another Idea, my above idea could use fewer people per clip, maybe even just one or 2, and they could start wiith "I was raped/beaten/stabbed, etc" then maybe " the police couldn't help me." and the punch line : "I won't be a victim again. True stories and real people a big bonus.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Miggy... That says it all....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Just watched Miggy's commercial. Wow.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Miggy

Some how I don't think that is going to help out image!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Administrator

Thumbs up

Interesting...Dick Morris was on the radio last night.
    He stated that he thinks in 30 second sound bites.
    He sez that there is no thought or idea that he cannot articulate in 30 seconds.
    So 60 seconds should be no problem for you folks - you get twice the amount of time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Commercial concept

[opening] Driving down residential street, mostly older houses from the 50's. Neighborhood looks a little run down. Turn and move in on a fairly neat house, fading through the wall, smoothly transitioning to the kitchen entrance.

[Scene 1] Petite, pleasant looking, elderly woman in a sweater and knee length print dress closes an overhead cabinet. Sweetly she says "There, the dishes are all put away."

[Cut to shot of a handsome cat on chair watching the woman]
    Come on Thomas..." [cat jumps off chair]

[Cut back to elderly woman exiting the kitchen]
    (humorously) "Let's go watch 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader' to see if I'm senile yet." [Woman exits kitchen and cat dashes down the hallway ahead of the woman.]

[Doorbell rings off camera]
    "Oh my, who could that be?"

[Scene 2]
    [Camera follows woman to the front door, she sets the chain lock before opening the door a little]
    (Note: door hinges on the left)

Woman: "Yes, what do you want?"
    Unseen man: "Is Bob here?"
    Woman: "No, You must have the wrong house."
    [Hand reaches inside to grab door, shoves it against the chain lock.]

[Scene 3]
    [Exterior shot - mad elderly woman holding PPK or similar small pistol]
    "HOLD IT, Bozo! Scram! Or I shoot!"

[Scene 4]
    [Cut to interior shot again]
    [SFX: Footsteps running away]
    [Woman closes and locks door, then puts her pistol back in her sweater pocket as she walks towards the phone in the living room. Cat jumps on chair, purring. She pets cat.]
    Woman: "We showed him, didn't we Thomas?"

[Scene 5]
    [Picks up phone. Doorbell rings again. Woman gives perturbed look, returns to door.]
    Woman: "Who is it?"
    Female voice: "It's Nancy from next door."

[Scene 6]
    [Woman opens door, cut to elderly woman's POV to see attractive 30-something woman with a smile holding a clipboard.]

Nancy: "I'm collecting signatures to petition the city to ban handguns. Would you like to sign it?"

[Close up of Nancy's face, showing smile, dropping to questioning look, then to confusion.]

[Black screen] Text: What would you have said?
    Last edited by BillCA; May 9th, 2007 at 07:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links