Eye glasses and carrying

Eye glasses and carrying

This is a discussion on Eye glasses and carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a bit of an unsettling experience yesterday. Due to numerous reasons I had to unexpectedly return my newest set of glasses to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eye glasses and carrying

I had a bit of an unsettling experience yesterday. Due to numerous reasons I had to unexpectedly return my newest set of glasses to the place of purchase. So I ended up in the local mall without my glasses.

Fortunately, I always carry an extra pair in the truck, car & motorhome - basically everything I drive and everywhere I go - so I was able to see again shortly. But the walk through the mall back to the truck wasn't fun. I could see shapes but there was no way I could tell what anyone was up to until they were right in my face.

I'd highly recommend that, if you wear glasses, keep a spare pair handy.
    Last edited by Cliffh; May 8th, 2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ya....ever since the Miami shooting when an FBI agent went blind because he lost his specs, I thank God its only reading I have issues with, LOL. Might not be able to read his DL after the incident (unless I held it far far away), but my front sight is still clear.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Fortunately I can still see the sights and environment without my glasses, I would not want to attend a tgt shoot with them though.

Senior Moderator
    I have glasses for far distances so when I'm driving I can see signs faster.

10-15 yards is not a problem for me.

I think if my eye sight were to degrade further I would either get the laser surgery or finally break down and get contacts.

You are right though.. have a backup plan for if you loose your glasses.

Lead Moderator
    Or loose a contact. especially if you have limited vision with out aids.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    It's a concern for me as well. My eyes are pretty bad, to the point that I have trouble trouble recognizing people beyond about 5ft without my coke bottles.

Laser surgery is on the list for me, for sure, but in the meantime, I have to make do and make sure I'm never out of reach of my glasses.

However, if I were to be attacked, and lose the use of my glasses, I think I think I would still be able to handle myself. I spent several years in a couple of different martial arts schools, and I always fought "blind." I was able to teach myself to judge distance, motion, and body language almost as well as I can with corrected eyesight, and I can track people (even multiples) perfectly well, I just can't tell what color their eyes are.

for purposes like making deployments easier the military gave me free laser surgery. best thing i ever did. the long part is seeing if your a candidate (lens shape and density). after your approved, the actual procedure took only 70 seconds! i had 20/400 in both eyes and an astigmatism in the left. in under 2 mins. i had 20/20 and 20/25. that was 4 years ago and now i'm taking it for granted because i'm so used to it.
    What's this button do?

[QUOTE=downrange;362114]for purposes like making deployments easier the military gave me free laser surgery. QUOTE]

How did you score that deal???

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffh View Post
    I had a bit of an unsettling experience yesterday. Due to numerous reasons I had to unexpectedly return my newest set of glasses to the place of purchase. So I ended up in the local mall without my glasses.

Fortunately, I always carry an extra pair in the truck, car & motorhome - basically everything I drive and everywhere I go - so I was able to see again shortly. But the walk through the mall back to the truck wasn't fun.

Couldn't you have told the optometrist, "I'll be right back; gonna go get my backup glasses from the truck and then I'll leave you with these"?

Couldn't you have told the optometrist, "I'll be right back; gonna go get my backup glasses from the truck and then I'll leave you with these"?
    Could have & should have. Let my frustration get the better of me and wasn't thinking as clear as I should have been.

That's another thing I've got to be aware of.

Fortunately my better half was there. It would have been even worse if she hadn't been, she's the one who got me pointed to the exit doors

Edited to add:

I've talked with a couple of optometrists about the Lazik surgery. They both said I'd be a good candidate, but they cautioned that it may not be the best option for persons over 40 - and I passed that mark a few years ago. I will be talking with another optometrist in a few months, see what he has to say. I think I'd like it even if it would require reading glasses.
    Last edited by Cliffh; May 8th, 2007 at 06:00 PM.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downrange View Post
    for purposes like making deployments easier the military gave me free laser surgery. best thing i ever did. the long part is seeing if your a candidate (lens shape and density). after your approved, the actual procedure took only 70 seconds! i had 20/400 in both eyes and an astigmatism in the left. in under 2 mins. i had 20/20 and 20/25. that was 4 years ago and now i'm taking it for granted because i'm so used to it.
    I have the same vision you had before surgery (except astigmatism ois on the right) ....
    Blind as a bat, LOL....
    As my Sifu advises, "Hit the Blur in front of you...."
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I'm lucky (or unlucky take your pick) had to have cataract surgery at 53.

The granny glsses perched on my nose are for reading only.

The sights show up just fine.
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffh View Post

Edited to add:

I've talked with a couple of optometrists about the Lazik surgery. They both said I'd be a good candidate, but they cautioned that it may not be the best option for persons over 40 - and I passed that mark a few years ago. I will be talking with another optometrist in a few months, see what he has to say. I think I'd like it even if it would require reading glasses.
    My Dad is 52 and just had his eyes done two weeks ago. He drove home from the surgery the next day and was shooting the day after that. No problems so far, his eyes are just a little itchy and now he needs reading glasses. After wearing glasses 24/7 for most of his life it's a nice change.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Has anyone seen the comercial on Outdoor Channel from Crimson Trace where the guy says he is getting older and has a problem seeing and he sure likes his Crimson Trace Laser Sight?

I find that a little disconcerning, anyone else?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member
    I have incredibly bad eyesight - I can't navigate worth a poo without corrective lenses. I've worn glasses since the first grade and up until a couple years ago when I switched to contacts.

What I hated about glasses was that they would fog up and were easily knocked off. I used that anti-fog stuff, but half the time they'd fog up in streaks, anyway.

Whenever I update my contact prescription, though, I still get a pair of backup glasses.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links