SCCC, your campus, national events for the 2007-2008 school year

This is a discussion on SCCC, your campus, national events for the 2007-2008 school year within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy folks, I'm Mike, the campus leader for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at the University of Cincinnati. I've been thinking of the thought ...

Thread: SCCC, your campus, national events for the 2007-2008 school year

Howdy folks,

I'm Mike, the campus leader for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at the University of Cincinnati. I've been thinking of the thought about an empty holster protest on campuses next year, so that new campuses like UC have a chance to do some recruitment as well as inform the campus officials/police that it's a peaceful protest in addition to being able to market it through the student paper (if possible) and flyers around campus. I'm personally thinking something in mid-October, as most campuses will be in session and won't be on break, and will allow us time to get our message out before hand and try to recruit some more folks.

UC just sent out a letter to the students regarding their plans in case of an incident similar to VT. Frankly, it's a joke. Essentially, duck and hide, use the government issued dial-a-prayer (911), and hope for the best. I've been working on a letter to my state reps prior to this, as well as federal reps and the university's president and her cabinet/aids, as well as local police chiefs.

I went to finish it up, and send it out just now (that letter sent a fire up my butt)....and it's missing most of the info in it, so I had to write a quick letter to them.

If ya'll wouldn't mind giving me some pros/cons/suggestions to this, it would be appreciated (it's already sent out, but it would be helpful for future letters). If you like it, feel free to use it/modify it as you see fit.

Thanks!

Mr./Mrs. (name/title)

I've got a question for you. Ohio concealed handgun license holders are allowed to carry nearly everywhere in the state, except for schools and places of higher learning.

Before you start thinking "here's another crazed one", please, hear me out.

Over 46 states in the United States of America have concealed carry laws. In all 46, many people said that the streets would run red with blood, and there would be shootouts in parking lots over small and irrelevant arguments. About a year later, a high-ranking public official or police chief could be found always stating that they were wrong.

In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find many police officers that are not fond of a civilian willing to go through the training, pass one of the harshest background checks in existence, and safely carry a handgun for defense against threats on their lives.

With this in mind, I would like to know what your opinion about students who are licensed to carry by the state. We're all at least 21 years old, have passed a training course dealing with the legalities and the actual execution, and have all been able to pass an extremely harsh background check which examines our criminal record (I do not have one), any sealed records (I do not have one), and any mental flaws (I do not have any).

I personally would like to be able to carry my handgun with me to classes, just like I do nearly everywhere else in this state as well as 20 other states. The recent tragedy at Virginia Tech highlighted the major problem with college campuses in America: open air, with little to no security, and unable to stop a malicious violent act on other's lives. Utah has seen this, and by law all students that hold concealed handgun licenses in Utah are allowed to carry on campus. They've yet to have a single incident from it.

I believe that if you do some research into this topic from independent and government resources (excluding political sources), you'll find that concealed handgun license holders are some of the most peaceful people you will encounter who hope they never have to exercise their right to self-defense. We're simply planning for the worst, with a hope for the best.

Thank you for your time,
    Michael xxxxxxxxx

(Yes, I did use my real name for this, and no, I don't fear doing so. Call me dumb, but I think it hurts your cause to not believe in it enough to attatch your name to it.)
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Great idea, hopefully we'll get enough interest here at OSU. I have a OWB for my model 10 that would like nice in class.

2 thoughts I had as to campus activism:

1) see about organizing a "fun shoot" with various gun friendly orgs on campus...ie College Republican, Libetarians etc. to allow new shooters or those on the fence to see what the shooting sports are all about.

2) Find some of the various instructors to offer low cost or no cost classes for college kids to do CCW. I would like to look at getting my certification as an instructor just to be able to do this.

I was able to get a CCW instructer to offer CCW classes and NRA basic pistol to the Criminal Justice Society after I joined, so being able to arrange a 'range trip' so to speak, would be pretty easy. I know at least one local range will rent out the place, and if you have 2 per lane the cost is less than $5 an hour.

The cost didn't go down much due to the lack of folks that were interested in the classes, but it also was a last minute deal. Maybe more of a heads up would help.
    ~Mike F.

OSU offers a class that counts as a NRA basic pistol, you pass the class and you have done your training. I also know a few instructors who are students and sometimes give discounts.

OSU has a shooting range, with part of it being able to take up to a .44 mag. There are 3 shooting clubs aside from the intercollegiate teams, they just don't tend to advertise very well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I am pretty confident reform will happen at some point in the next two years.

More and more recently there has been an epidemic within traditional anti-gun or, at the very least, fence sitters of common sense regarding the effectiveness of concealed carry as a viable means of self defense.

Following VA Tech there wasn't a mass public lynching of the gun owning community, as there has been in the past. Instead there were some minor calls for gun control, including Kuchinich's complete ban. Instead what we saw was an argument, in some cases, for more guns in the hands of the law abiding.

The General Assembly we have for the next 2 years seems pretty pro-gun. The Govenor and his Attorney General also have a decent track record of pro-gun rights. Within the next 2 years we may see something come about, especially with more pressure on the reps.

Another option for classes or range trips to bring new memebers within our community is to work with the female populations on campus. This is the group we usually see targeted in campus crime. Maybe hosting a self defense class that not only covers some form of martial arts/hand to hand, but also options such as mace/knife/handgun?
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Sounds like a fantastic idea. I think we could get on board in Kansas and Missouri...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by politicalgeek View Post
    I am pretty confident reform will happen at some point in the next two years.

More and more recently there has been an epidemic within traditional anti-gun or, at the very least, fence sitters of common sense regarding the effectiveness of concealed carry as a viable means of self defense.

Following VA Tech there wasn't a mass public lynching of the gun owning community, as there has been in the past. Instead there were some minor calls for gun control, including Kuchinich's complete ban. Instead what we saw was an argument, in some cases, for more guns in the hands of the law abiding.

The General Assembly we have for the next 2 years seems pretty pro-gun. The Govenor and his Attorney General also have a decent track record of pro-gun rights. Within the next 2 years we may see something come about, especially with more pressure on the reps.

Another option for classes or range trips to bring new memebers within our community is to work with the female populations on campus. This is the group we usually see targeted in campus crime. Maybe hosting a self defense class that not only covers some form of martial arts/hand to hand, but also options such as mace/knife/handgun?
    They offer a rape prevention defense class at UC, but it's not advertised, it's not free, and I don't know what's covered by it either.

I'm in a unique position on this, one of my best friends is a lesbian, and a CCW holder. Her father was Hamilton County Sheriff and SWAT. You wanna talk to somebody who's a female and supports the thought? How about a lesbian, because afterall, women can't handle guns or self defense, god forbid a gay.
    ~Mike F.

I think through a combination of activism (open holster displays) and education the issue can go very, very far.

Helping to dispel the myths and attitudes on college campuses would be great. Right now the mentality is to pass "rape whistles" out. Rape is serious, yet I am almost laughing at the thought that someone would honestly believe a "rape whistle" would do a d*** bit of good.

There was a great article run in the other paper a few weeks back, can't link since the archives don't seem to exist, but it was a piece done after the girl was raped off campus here beginning of April. It basically advocated fighting back in certain situations.

Buckeye, do you know any of the leaders for SCCC at OSU? Probaly a good idea to link them to this board and get them on here. I linked this site on the page for that Lantern op-ed.

I realized today, after driving home a 1/2 hour to vote at my polling place on one issue, that I am what every politician fears: a young, gun owning, voter. Gun ownership has made me much more aware and active about various issues.

(BTW, if you have followed the Ohio Senate and the strip club bill at all...they can be bullied into voting against their better judgement)

*Edit*
    Emailed Mark, OSU campus leader for SCCC, off face book linking to this thread
    Last edited by politicalgeek; May 8th, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

http://concealedcampus.org/leaders.htm

For anybody interested.
    ~Mike F.

I have been trying to get some of the leaders on the board, Mark is a good guy, I know him pretty well.

I have been a member of the OSU push for CCW since before the USG issue the other year.

The only thing about linking a site like this onto the lantern is the possibility of trolls and others coming over to cause problems, but the mods usually chase them off pretty quick.

(don't get me started on the strip club legislation, thats just plain silly).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

So far no negitives on the Lantern site, all positive comments.

I knew I heard of Mark before, but did not connect the name till I saw his page on facebook.

Ron Paul 2008!

I would love to be able to carry on campus in VA and MD. We can but the schools have policies against them.

But no matter, now I have a job that allows my carry.

I wanted to add don't forgot to petition the Alumni groups. Find a few of the big donors who are half way pro-gun and it might help.

Ron Paul 2008!

Sponsored Links