Declared state of emergency

This is a discussion on Declared state of emergency within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In North Carolina we have this dumb law. § 14‑288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions. (a) Except as otherwise ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declared state of emergency

Declared state of emergency

In North Carolina we have this dumb law.

§ 14‑288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:

(1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or

(2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.

(b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.

(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
    This sucks because when I need my weapon the most I am forbidden from possessing it. When a hurricane hits and the governor declares a state of emergence I have to leave my gun at home. I don't like the "transport or possess off his own premises" the most, I cant even have it in my damn truck
    Last edited by falkon; May 9th, 2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Kant Cpell
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Yep Yep Yep...really sucks here sometimes. Caught between the gun loving south, and the anti New York City/DC North. We get to carry all we want, as long as it is not anywhere we are likely to need to carry. Cause those areas are too scary for any firearm to exsist.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I wish I had the money and time to get the laws changed.

Maybe this can be changed

I would think all municipalities learned from Katrina - when the New Orleans Police began to take citizens' weapons - then realized that wasn't the thing to do and backed off.

Even the students at Miss. State began to carry in great numbers after that disaster.

If we contact our legislators in enough numbers, maybe we can get them to take the time to rectify this rediculous statute. Most folks with any common sense will realize that after a natural disaster, or other malady is when the crazies come out of the woodwork in force.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quick a riot!!! Grab the crack and the guns.

What a dumb law.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Yep, that one bites the big one! Letter writing time again ...
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Quick a riot!!! Grab the crack and the guns.

What a dumb law.
    But do not grab the cracked guns. Save those for the confiscation. Yes officer here are "all" my guns yep all broken imagine that.

GRNC.org may be one of the best sources to get stuff like this changed in NC. Worth writing to them too.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post

This sucks because when I need my weapon the most I am forbidden from possessing it. When a hurricane hits and the governor declares a state of emergence I have to leave my gun at home. I don't like the "transport or possess off his own premises" the most, I cant even have it in my damn truck
    Hmm well, this is interesting...didn't see that one before. I travel to NC every year from VA to visit relatives down south of Wilmington...usually during and/or near Hurricane season. How does this apply to an out of state CCWer(recognized by NC)? Does this mean we have to immediately vacate the state? What if it's not safe to do so and we're hunkered down (been there done that MANY times).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

This sucks because when I need my weapon the most I am forbidden from possessing it.
    Hm. Let's see ... Class 1 Misdemeanor, or your life when you'll most need to defend it. With a good attorney, you could probably argue the injustice and insanity of a law whose sole purpose is disarmament at time of greatest need.

Would I disarm simply because a politician declared everything within 50mi of my home a disaster area? Not exactly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah, it really is stupid.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hm. Let's see ... Class 1 Misdemeanor, or your life when you'll most need to defend it. With a good attorney, you could probably argue the injustice and insanity of a law whose sole purpose is disarmament at time of greatest need.

Would I disarm simply because a politician declared everything within 50mi of my home a disaster area? Not exactly.
    I was thinking the same thing. You can bet I will keep it with me and hope for the best.

The out of state people have a good point. how do they keep it on property that they own?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Sounds like a hold over from Reconstruction.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Has anybody tried bringing this issue up with the legislators who got the CCW permit passed into law? It might be argued that an inherent conflict is presented by the two laws that needs resolving. If that happens the other issues in the CCW law need addressing. The spots where it's weak like the no guns in eating establishments or at ANY paid venue. Like movie theatres.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I thought after katrina a federal law was signed saying, it's legal to transport.

This is probably something the NRA could fix. They lobbied the congress here in MO to pass a law that says the guv'mint can't take your guns away in a time of emergency. Here is a summary from an NRA-ILA email I got:

Today, Missouri Governor Matt Blunt signed into law a fundamental protection against gun confiscation during declared states of emergencies. The bill signing ceremony took place at NRA's Opening Celebration this afternoon at the America's Center in St. Louis.
    If you want to fix this kind of thing, send money to the NRA and include a letter describing the problem in NC. They need as much power as we can give them, and that is directly through contributions. This is what the 'big gun lobby' is for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links