Am I getting paranoid??

Am I getting paranoid??

This is a discussion on Am I getting paranoid?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm sitting in the Tahoe with my 18 month old daughter waiting for my wife who is in the grocery store. I find myself ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I getting paranoid??

So, I'm sitting in the Tahoe with my 18 month old daughter waiting for my wife who is in the grocery store. I find myself constantly checking all the mirrors and trying to see who is around me at all times.
    Next thing I know, I see this guy in my driver's side mirror all ragged out coming up from behind me. I don't even realize it but my hand has now gripped the Keltec in my pocket holster and I'm watching his every move as he approaches the Tahoe.....then......he walks right by and keeps on going.....

The funny thing is, I never even thought "better get ready to draw" my hand just instinctively found its way to the gun.

Maybe I'm just becoming paranoid or something.

FMC

Lead Moderator
    Awareness is a good thing. It puts you ahead of the curve in a bad situation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

some call it paranoid and yet others may refer to it as being prepared.
    Last edited by Go Glock; May 9th, 2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I sometimes sit in the vehicle waiting on my sister who happens to live in a rough part of town. I always have a firing grip on my G19 which sits in a Blackhawk Serpa holster on my right hip, when I'm waiting for her, and always checking my mirrors. I've had some pretty scruffy lookin dudes walk by, but they never once looked inside my vehicle. My friends think I'm paranoid, or just looking for trouble, but I call it being prepared.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Awareness is a good thing. It puts you ahead of the curve in a bad situation.
    There's simply no way around this one. Paranoia? With an 18mo child and wife to protect? It's called preparedness. It's called being ready to meet a threat by monitoring it and watching what unfolds. Had you been deaf, dumb and blind, and then someone turned on the "fan", you would have been hard-pressed to prevail with a child in your arms and your head in the sand. Preparedness. Repeat that, whenever you begin to question the wisdom of doing what's right.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Thats what Col Cooper refered to as being in Yellow. Your aware of your situation, and you started to go into Red because you recognized something that look like a possible threat. Alot better than White, LOL.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Sitting in a vehicle, you are very vulnerable. Being aware and prepared is a good thing. Go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Thats what Col Cooper refered to as being in Yellow. Your aware of your situation, and you started to go into Red because you recognized something that look like a possible threat. Alot better than White, LOL.
    Don't you mean Orange, Steve? He didn't draw his gun and fire, thus no red.

me
    I was at the public range when a kid my age 20ish walked in with sideways hat and pants at his knees walked down the line carrying a smith and wesson case, my sister who was on the line firing rifle turned say my off hand in my pocket on my Kel-tec. She responded "Thank You" and layed her head back down to the rifle.

I find that carrying the Kel-tec in my pocket my hand tends to go to it faster than my IWB. Why? It is easy and out of sight.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Well, if you're paranoid then so am I!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    you sound perfectly normal to me......I tend to do the same thing except mine just turned 4 yrs old

only will think you're paranoid
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

No.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    People only tell you you're paranoid until the very thing you are alert for happens.. then everyone praises you for being so prepared.

I find myself doing the same thing. I was driving down the interstate yesterday and two cars were flying up the inside lane which was clear for quite a while in front of me.
    All at once they showed way down and dropped in behind me. I started looking for escape/evasion routes and unholstered the 1911 and tucked it under my leg
    I don't know what they were doing...but I didn't even really think about anything other than the what if game.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Call it what you want, but don't dismiss it. And it will help you stay out of trouble.

The few times I have not listened to my gut I have gotten burned.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links