Slippy hands!!!

This is a discussion on Slippy hands!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is something I posted on elsewhere a year or two ago but - was reminded of it today. Warm spring day meant get out ...

Thread: Slippy hands!!!

Assistant Administrator

Slippy hands!!!

This is something I posted on elsewhere a year or two ago but - was reminded of it today.

Warm spring day meant get out bike - and go - somewhere. Gun shop seemed as good a place as any! No gun bought - just consumables. (amazing restraint!!).

Prior to ride home - need to eat - swing by KFC for a buffet. Usual table choice - corner with full view of entire place - and part ways thru - very greasy hands!

So - not the ideal state to have to draw were it needed.! Can't say I do too much practice with slippy hands but - this is something that just could occur ... Murphy and all that! Any thoughts??
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    One of my instructors said that your gunfight may not happen in the bright sun with your threat standing squared off at you with the sun in his eyes.

Of course he was emphasizing that we need to be prepared as much as possible for less than perfect situations. I've always wondered what it would be like to do drills in the rain. Unfortunately my outdoor range has a covered concrete pad to shoot from and you're not allowed to shoot off of it.

I suspect we would learn some interesting lessons about shooting when the "grip" gets slippery.

An advantage of bicycle tube grips maybe? Natural rubber seems like a very tacky grippy and slightly rough surface.

I can just imagine some mall ninja with a $2300 pistol he has never fired reading this post and fitting it with a bicycle tube grip...

Senior Moderator
    Actually, "sticky" grips is one of the things I have learned to appreciate about an H&K USP. I've been a dyed in the wool Sig 226 man, but recently bought a 9mm USP. While the DA trigger is not "optimized", it has many features that are.

One feature that I thought was a bit over done was the "aggressive" checkering on the grip. It should provide a as sure a grip as can be achieved without using duct tape. I find I'm carrying the USP more and more.

This is a good time to break out the Blue Gun and try it out. Take a bucket of KFC home, get your hands good and greasy, put on an old shirt so the chicken grease doesn't do to your clothes what it's doing to your arteries, and try out a few full speed draws. Try to position yourself with stuff around you and a table in front of you like a booth at the restaurant has.

My first thought is that the grease won't affect you as much as the impeding furniture might.

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Assistant Administrator
    I've considered trying this Pyro! I reckon that most of the time hand grease will be manageable - seeing as I am wiping fingers on napkin almost every time I pick stuff up.

The stage at which I would hate to have to draw and fire - would be that very moment when a large piece of chicken has just been pulled apart and grease is everywhere! THAT is when I would NOT like for Murphy to enter the room!
    Chris - P95

I ordered two sets of "blood donor" grips from Aluma grip as they will allow a positive pruchase in the worst of conditions.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    I ordered two sets of "blood donor" grips from Aluma grip as they will allow a positive pruchase in the worst of conditions.
    I have come to love AlumaGrips....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper not to mention Chris Lynch is a great guy to deal with and he is an AZ guy as well if I recall.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Bumper not to mention Chris Lynch is a great guy to deal with and he is an AZ guy as well if I recall.
    Wow, I looked it up and he is about 2-3 miles from me here in Mesa. It freaked me out when I saw he was in the same zip code. I may have to swing by there and check the place out.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    yep, this is why cops stick to powdered donuts. The powder keeps their hands dry. Just kidding. I tried the hogue grip sleeve and it seemed to give a decent grip. Also my HK uSP has really aggressve checkering.

I've found that while sticky grips give a better grip in my hand they create problems with my cover garmet. With smooth wooden grips I can conceal fairly well with just a t-shirt but with rubber/sticky grips I need an extra shirt/jacket over the T-shirt to help cover up when my shirt graps the grips. Part of this is due to carrying a wheelgun in a highride style holster, it may be most semiautos ride lower and tighter so it's not a problem. YMMV.

Assistant Administrator
    True S_O_ ..... but hey - tried the wood grips with greasy hands?? Disaster!!! I tried this on some Cocobolo grips on an M85 - sheesh - slippy was not in it!!

I conceal mostly with a vest - Smith & Alexander - and that has enough weight (could be the NAA mini in right pocket LOL) to not snag on the rubber CT grips of my SIG. Even that, now I have tried it - is not extra special with chicken grease but - it sure does behave better than wood!
    Chris - P95

Links