"Why do you need to carry a Gun?" - Page 2

"Why do you need to carry a Gun?"

This is a discussion on "Why do you need to carry a Gun?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sort of live in Mayberry these days also but, I still always carry. No place is 100% safe and never was. The one line ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    I sort of live in Mayberry these days also but, I still always carry.
    No place is 100% safe and never was.
    The one line you always hear on Forensic Files and all of those type shows where folks live in towns where they still don't lock their doors is..."We never thought anything like this could EVER happen here!" but, it sure can.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Way to go Miggy... a gold month for you indeed. I hear what you say. And I have influenced my fair share of converts. Although I haven't had the pleasure of getting someone to go as far as CCW... I have introduced several to shooting for fun and defense and without exeption, they all have a good time and have several myths debunked.

I had two female co-workers several years ago, after discussing defense issues with them not only bought a handgun for the first time but I taught them how to shoot defensively and how to strip and clean their guns. (one a single mother and one a divorced woman who lived alone who had been a rape victim). They both had pleasant introductions to the shooting experience and thanked me for my help.

I came across a dealer in Shotgun News who was offering used Ruger Stainless Speed Six .357 magnums with 3" barrels and Hogue combat grips that used to belong to U.S. Postal Inspectors when they switched to the Barretta 92's.

Well, one of my co-workers was an FFL so myself and co-workers ordered seven of them for I believe was $180 ea. Two of those guns went to the aforementioned women mentioned above and I bought two for myself. We all got excellent guns, which coming from the postal inspectors I knew they would have been well maintained and not shot much. I was right.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    $185?!?!?!
    Ooohh we hate you know!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Bark'n --
    You are right, we are preaching to the choir here.
    If it's any help, the reply I made earlier is the one I have settled on when speaking with a member of the public.
    Sadly, my personal anecdote seems to be more effective than logic or common sense.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    And that is why we carry......
    Very true. My wife understands this now.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I don't understand it, but some would rather be harmed than cause harm to another. I guess it is a Quaker mindset.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    What Rocky said... Bad things can happen anywhere. We all hope and pray they don't happen in our town, but we choose to be prepared, because God helps those that help themselves.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I don't understand it, but some would rather be harmed than cause harm to another. I guess it is a Quaker mindset.
    I have a couple of nieces that are like that, One is of the belief that all the worlds’ problems can be solved by dialog. She will probably believe that until some thug puts her lights out with a brick to the head. “The world trade center was all our fault don’t you know?’ That type will never be convinced no matter what lessons life throws at them.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    I have a couple of nieces that are like that, One is of the belief that all the worlds’ problems can be solved by dialog. She will probably believe that until some thug puts her lights out with a brick to the head. “The world trade center was all our fault don’t you know?’ That type will never be convinced no matter what lessons life throws at them.

OUR quandary then becomes, how much are we supposed to care about those willfully unreachable folks, and how much are we supposed to try to protect them? Are we supposed to let them sink or swim on their own?

My vote is YES to the last question. They have what information they need to make their own decision. If they choose the irrational one, they can live down the results.

Not everyone is going to be qualified to carry and more importantly use a weapon in a life / death scenario. I'd like to think I'll be willing to save an innocent no matter what their political views are about gun ownership.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    dls56, you're more noble than I am.

It would take a lot for me to want to help someone who was so steadfast and obstinate in their ignorance, and in their refusal to respect concealed carry, that they actively supported the gun-ban cause.

Imagine if it were Sarah Brady, being chased down an alleyway. I could easily see myself doing the "Peter Parker" thing of letting the thug get her since it's "not my problem." For starters, if I used a gun to save her sorry hide, I really doubt she'd somehow instantly reverse course, embarrassing and discrediting herself utterly, and turn pro-gun.

Something about using a gun to save someone who has done actual work to disarm me smacks of "giving aid and comfort to the enemy." If we're going to fight our enemies with one hand and save them with the other, are we helping ourselves?

Arlington Tennessee.....

I live in a very nice, quiet town where there is almost zero crime of any kind. usually just teens doing silly things, speeding, maybe a little vandalizing. No violent crime to speak of and not too much drug activity although I'm sure there is more than I think there is.

But, I still carry the G23 every day, all the time. Unless I am asleep (then it is in the holster that is bolted to the bed frame) or in the shower, it is on my right hip just as it is now.

Never believe that just because you live in a "safe little town" that the criminal element can't reach out and touch you. It can and if you let your guard down, it will.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Hey, I carry because you never know when you're going to need it. The time you don't carry might be the time you need it.

A little story, involving back-up guns, but relavant to this, I think.

I was an FTO (Field Training Officer) years ago (over 7). I had a trainee who asked me if he could carry his back-up gun. I told I wouldn't be the one telling someone to not carry a BUG/lifesaver. He started carrying his BUG & I told him, "Hey, the time you don't carry it is probably the should have."

So, he passes training & with 2 weeks of being on his own, he gets into a shooting. His gun jams after a few shots & goes for his shotgun. Fortunately for him, He's not shot & the BG runs away.

I talk to him awhile after the incident (It's pretty stressful because of getting an Attorney, being questioned, etc). So, I ask him why he did draw his BUG. He looks at, puts his down as he gives me a sheepish grin. He tells me he'd been carrying his BUG everyday, but decided not to that day. I didn't say anything.

I swear every new guy for quite awhile made sure they had a BUG.

The point is you don't know when you'll need it. If you can cary, do so. Even though I'm in LE, I truly believe & feel we'ld all be safer if "trained" citizens were all carrying.

Sorry for the long story...
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    “The world trade center was all our fault don’t you know?’
    No one better ever say that in front of me. They will leave minus a few teeth.

I still see in my mind's eye some of the victims jumping to their death in desperation and I still have not lost one bit of the anger I felt that day.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I carry a gun because, a cop won't fit into my pocket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links