21st Century Survival gear

This is a discussion on 21st Century Survival gear within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As people who carry weapons for self-defense, it would seem a logical leap to say we are also interested in survival. While watching an episode ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21st Century Survival gear

21st Century Survival gear

As people who carry weapons for self-defense, it would seem a logical leap to say we are also interested in survival. While watching an episode of "Self-Defense TV" a while back, I was struck by what Massad Ayoob considered his normal, daily "survival/carry" gear. Aside from his favorite gun, he carried a flashlight, knife, cell phone, decoy wallet and a few other items. As if that weren't enough, he then pointed out the he frequently carried (and recommended others do the same) TWO of all the above! He carries not just his primary weapons and other "survival" equipment, but backups as well.

Don't get me wrong, I will not even attempt to say that I know more about self-defense and concealed carry than MA, but to me it seems like a bit of overkill. I have enough trouble - especially here in Texas during the heat of summer - trying to carry one gun, a wallet, keys, a pocket knife, phone and the other odd this or that, much less two of each. I can see the possible need if I were an LEO on patrol during a period of civil unrest or knew I was about to enter a definite "bad" zone (NOLA during the floods of '05), but he implied this was his normal, daily carry equipment.

To me this seems even more strange since MA is as well known for his preaching non-confrontation and the perils of using a weapon for self-defense - we've all read his horror stories of what's happened to both LEO's and private citizens in our courts after a supposed "good" shooting - and his view that anyone who carries should only use PC equipment like LEO approved ammo (reloads are a NO-NO) to avoid even the appearance you were looking for trouble. Still, can you imagine talking to the local DA after a self-defense shooting and explaining you were NOT out for trouble when the police found you carrying a gun with spare magazines, pepper spray or a stun gun, a knife, a "dummy" wallet with a fake ID and other "survival" equipment... much less TWO of each!

Am I missing something, or is this how we need to become to survive in our brave new world!

My question is, how do all of you feel about his recommendation and what do you carry as your personal, daily, survival gear.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

I can understand Ayoob's point. If your trusting your life to something, wouldn't you want it to have a backup? After all, "Two is one and one is none".

I can see a backup gun. Two flashlights? Two cell phones? Two of EVERYTHING!?! Yeah, sounds like overkill to me, too.

Two of each is a bit much.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator
    Not gonna happen. I highly doubt he carries 2 of everything every day. I can see a spare knife, light and mags. But downsized for ease of carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I agree 100% with two is one, one is none. For save yer butt gear I prefer to have 2 magazines or reloads and for equipment required on the job(cameras, voice recording, GPS, etc) I carry 2 each, one set with me and one set bagged or cased in the vehicle ready to go in case Murphy is cooling his heels in my vicinity, seems to happen at the worst times . However, 2 wallets, 2 cellphones, 2 knives, etc. in your pockets is a bit much at first glance.

Maybe he meant that he carries one set of gear in his coat/vest and the second set on him. That makes sense to me. As for the fake ID, thats a can o' worms right there.

Talking

I carry two knives. Ones a beater and the other is REALLY sharp. Never know when one will break when your using it as a screw driver
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Did he say to carry a fake ID or a fake wallet?
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Administrator
    In my opinion advocating "Two of Everything" for "Every Day Carry" is excessive to the degree of it being an unworkable option for most people.

Sorry but, I don't care who it is saying that.

Why buy the very best accoutrement's if ultimately you don't trust it all well enough to bet your hide on yer stuff.

You might as well just buy all cheap junk if you're going to double up on everything.

Anything more than extra magazines is about where I draw the line.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yes, some folks seem to carry more than Batman does on his utility belt. A gun in a pocket or holster, extra mag, Surefire, pocket knife & a cell phone about covers it for me, along with my wallet & keys. Most folks on the street will just have a wallet, keys & probably a cell phone, so I feel I'm much better equipped than the average citizen.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I carry my XD and a spare mag, a knife, P3AT, Fenix P3D-CE, my keys, cell phone, bluetooth headset, and a small LED light on my keys. It's really not much, I don't feel encumbered because it's well distributed - nor do I feel like I'm wearing Batman's utility belt.

Like I said, I can understand the logic of why, but in the VAST majority of cases I can't understand the real need for some of the recommendations. Some things can also be a double-edged sword, with good and bad points. BTW, I meant to say fake wallet and credit cards instead of ID, though I've heard of people who do carry a fake ID for safety/security reasons. I remember a thief once saying if he gets a wallet with no ID, he assumes it's a decoy (everyone has an ID these days and a credit card or two) and starts looking for the real wallet/purse. A fake ID could look bad to a LEO or judge, but it also could prevent a BG from learning your true identity and address if he gains access to your wallet. BTW, MA said he likes to carry his primary gear "high" - in a vest and above the waist, and his B/U's low in pockets and below the waist. That's in case he needs to access it and his upper body is restrained or difficult to access for some reason

Anyway, I can understand some things are more vital than others and what we carry often depends on how we dress. Do we wear what's comfortable and carry the gear that's appropriate for the clothes, or decide what we want to carry first and dress for the equipment? I personally feel that UNLESS I'm going into a situation where the odds are I'll need to be in full "battle dress", it's going to be a compromise.

I live in a small-medium size city (80,000 or so) where you can usually count the murders that happen yearly on the fingers of one hand and the local paper's front page crime headline is often "Hookers busted for street walking" or kids fighting in a local high school. Do I REALLY need extra cell phones, two guns, knives and all the other goodies I'd need in full out survival mode if I'm only driving the two blocks to my mother-in-law's house in our suburban neighborhood that hasn't had a crime worse than a domestic argument in 30 years? I know stuff happens, but what are the real odds - especially in a situation like mine above - that I will need to go into full Rambo mode at a moments notice? I always carry a cell phone, a handgun and a bladed weapon EVERYTIME I leave my driveway as it is. Shouldn't that be enough for almost any situation ANY of us would likely find ourselves in already?
    Last edited by rachilders; May 11th, 2007 at 12:31 AM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I don't feel like I need two of everything!
    I don't feel like I need two of everything!

Kimber,extra mag, Surefire, OC, Kershaw Assisted Opener, cell phone..."Let's roll!"

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think even carrying OC is excessive. More appropriate might be a tourniquet and a small trauma pack in case you end up being first responder to an assault/car accident/whatever.

Just want to clarify what Massad Ayoob actually meant, I saw the show too.

He has two cell phones, but on different networks so that if one has zero coverage the other should work.
    He has multiple knives in different locations because you sometimes can't reach for a knife with your strong hand.
    He has a dummy wallet to sacrifice in a robbery, no mention of fake ID.
    He has two guns because WHO DOESN'T?!?

He is a careful guy, you don't have to copy him exactly but we can all learn from his wisdom.
    Because of him I now leave my truck in gear when using drive-thru ATMs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links