Defensive Carry banner

Has anyone heard of this?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  cockedlocked01 
#1 ·
Hi Ya'll,

I was at the range yesterday and someone told me that was a fed ccw law that allowed ex-law enforcement officers to get ccw's without having to take the ccw class. Does anyone know anything about this or was this guy just blowing smoke out of his butt? Any info would be appreciated.

Eric

#2 ·
Yes. H.R. 218

The bill exempts qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from select local and State prohibitions on the carrying of concealed firearms. It does not provide police officer liability protection, nor does it completely exempt active or retired officers from all state laws regarding carrying concealed firearms.

You have to be qualified ex-law enforcement:

" means a person who separates from a law enforcement agency after 10 or more years of service (15 or more, if applying for a certificate of firearms proficiency), receives a medical, disability, or regular retirement pension or annuity as a result of qualifying years of service as a peace officer, and has a letter from the law enforcement agency confirming these facts.

• Has retired in good standing from service with a government agency as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of fifteen (15) years or more for reasons other than mental instability, or retired from such an agency due to a service-connected disability after completing any applicable probationary period of such service;
• Was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law;
• Had statutory powers of arrest;
• Has a non-forfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency for which he was employed

#4 ·
Yeah, my instructor for CCL was a retired officer, and he had a permit under 218... he's allowed to carry quite literally anywhere in the United States, including places prohibited by most state CCW laws.

#9 ·
Here in Florida you have to provide "Proof of Competency" either by attending a state approved ccw class, proof of law enforcement training, proof of military training. Some hunters education classes, and the NRA's basic pistol course also work.

#10 ·
A letter from my former department was all I needed in my part of VA.
Since they dole out permits by county and depending upon the hands it passes through along with the tragedy at VT I'm almost certain that it would be a case by case and somewhat dependent upon political views.

#11 ·
It's up to the indivisual Dept., but if they allow it, a retired LE gets an endorsement on his "retirement ID." He has to qualify minimally, on an HR 218 approved course, annually.

It basically allows him to carry anywhere throughout the U.S. & in places active LE can, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.