Has anyone heard of this?

This is a discussion on Has anyone heard of this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Ya'll, I was at the range yesterday and someone told me that was a fed ccw law that allowed ex-law enforcement officers to get ...

Thread: Has anyone heard of this?

Hi Ya'll,

I was at the range yesterday and someone told me that was a fed ccw law that allowed ex-law enforcement officers to get ccw's without having to take the ccw class. Does anyone know anything about this or was this guy just blowing smoke out of his butt? Any info would be appreciated.

Eric

Yes. H.R. 218

The bill exempts qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from select local and State prohibitions on the carrying of concealed firearms. It does not provide police officer liability protection, nor does it completely exempt active or retired officers from all state laws regarding carrying concealed firearms.

You have to be qualified ex-law enforcement:

" means a person who separates from a law enforcement agency after 10 or more years of service (15 or more, if applying for a certificate of firearms proficiency), receives a medical, disability, or regular retirement pension or annuity as a result of qualifying years of service as a peace officer, and has a letter from the law enforcement agency confirming these facts.

• Has retired in good standing from service with a government agency as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of fifteen (15) years or more for reasons other than mental instability, or retired from such an agency due to a service-connected disability after completing any applicable probationary period of such service;
    • Was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law;
    • Had statutory powers of arrest;
    • Has a non-forfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency for which he was employed

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Never heard of it. Retired LEO's (In Mobile Alabama) can get a lifetime Concealed Carry Permit - but that's for Alabama.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Yeah, my instructor for CCL was a retired officer, and he had a permit under 218... he's allowed to carry quite literally anywhere in the United States, including places prohibited by most state CCW laws.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    Yeah, my instructor for CCL was a retired officer, and he had a permit under 218... he's allowed to carry quite literally anywhere in the United States, including places prohibited by most state CCW laws.
    I didn't know it included retired officers. I think it's great. The more good guys with guns the better.
    For God, Family and Country!

I think I read something like that recently, can't remember where though.
    USA Carry - Concealed Carry Information, Reciprocity Maps, News & Articles, Forums, Directory and more!

The bill was signed into law on 07/22/04 and is known as the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. Here's the statute if anyone is interested.
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=f:publ277.108

VIP Member
    Now that the question has been answered:

Ya'll= NO
    Y'all= YES

You are contracting the ou from you, nothing out of all!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Here in Florida you have to provide "Proof of Competency" either by attending a state approved ccw class, proof of law enforcement training, proof of military training. Some hunters education classes, and the NRA's basic pistol course also work.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

A letter from my former department was all I needed in my part of VA.
    Since they dole out permits by county and depending upon the hands it passes through along with the tragedy at VT I'm almost certain that it would be a case by case and somewhat dependent upon political views.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    It's up to the indivisual Dept., but if they allow it, a retired LE gets an endorsement on his "retirement ID." He has to qualify minimally, on an HR 218 approved course, annually.

It basically allows him to carry anywhere throughout the U.S. & in places active LE can, too.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Links