Only cops should have guns?

This is a discussion on Only cops should have guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess this is why only cops can be trusted with guns. http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5295064...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Only cops should have guns?

Only cops should have guns?

I guess this is why only cops can be trusted with guns.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5295064

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have known a few cops who shouldn't even know what a gun looks like.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Please don't judge to soon. We all know how newspapers get the facts right .

Most cops are very good people trying very hard to do a very difficult job the best way that they can. A very few are not. That's just the way life is.

This forum slides fractionally downhill every time there is a cop bashing thread.

Nobody knows the whole story yet, least of all some news outlet.

VIP Member
    I don't think that only cops should have guns... but I do think every person that has ever bashed a cop should lose all of their civil rights, starting with the right to keep and bear arms. I am sick and tired of the cop bashing--- especially since a great deal of it comes from people that want to be cops, but just don't pack the gear to do the job.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    This forum slides fractionally downhill every time there is a cop bashing thread.

Nobody knows the whole story yet, least of all some news outlet.

"The decision was made at the district attorney's office that the circumstances in the officer's actions did not rise to the level of justification under the deadly force statutes," said Captain Bud Corbett with the Pasadena Police Department.

Apparently the DA and Captain Corbett as well as the Sheriff's office have the whole story or enough of the story to make that statement. What more do you need to know and why shouldn't it be discussed?

It's not cop bashing when they are being stupid. This would be the same if a citizen did it.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    It's not cop bashing when they are being stupid. This would be the same if a citizen did it.
    Ti
    +1
    Do you think they will do a cover up type deal? (for the cop)
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    What more do you need to know and why shouldn't it be discussed?

Ti
    Did not say it shouldn't be discussed, discussion is good.
    Cop bashing on the other hand is just another form of anonymous internet retaliation, faceless posturing from people who probably harbor some animosity towards LEOs based solely on a speeding ticket.
    Sure the authorities commented, but do we know all that they said, was it reproduced in proper context? I doubt it.
    Cops make mistakes, cops are human, I agree. But they are also regularly bashed for nothing on forums which then slide downhill and become Glocktalk.

Anyway, I will likely be misread and responded to without understanding. I will move on and leave this thread in the gutter.

Kacz is suspended without pay while the investigation continues.
    At least some organization can get a suspended job done correctly. No one should ever be suspended with pay for faulty conduct.
    "While the wicked stand confounded, call me with thy saints surrounded."

Springfield XD9-SC
    1895 Chilean Mauser
    1981 Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS
    1943 Mosin-Nagant M-38
    NRA Life Member(when it gets paid for)
    Moving Eventually ... Montana or Wyoming anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Sorry, but this does sound like a very sarcastic remark that could very well be construed as "cop bashing". I may be wrong, but that is what it sounds like to me.

As for the story, there is so little said that it is hard to make any sort of a judgement, right or wrong, on the officers actions. Even with the quote, it is not enough, there is nothing surrounding it to allow you to place it into context. Heck, not only is it taken out of context, but it might not even be an accurate quote as it is. I would suggest waiting to hear the outcome of the investigation before making any comments for or against.

Just my take on things............

Cops wouldn't get all the bashing they do if they behaved better. I've met some very nice, highly professional cops, but I've also met plenty of complete ****** with serious attitude problems. I think the LEO profession as a whole attracts far more than its fair share of jerks, people who are attracted to power.

No one here complains when someone bashes politicians or lawyers, two professions infamous for corruption, lack of ethics, and power-hungry people. Are all politicians and lawyers horrible, evil people? Of course not. I think many politicians are just misguided, some are good, and some are really bad (Ted Kennedy?). But complain about the cops and suddenly everyone leaps to their defense.

The worst part is the whole "blue wall of silence", where cops will close ranks and protect each other, even when it's obvious there was misbehavior. With stuff like this, how do expect to not get a bad reputation?

You want respect? You have to earn it. Stop backing up the bad apples, stop enforcing the bad laws, stop harassing law-abiding citizens (like those who want to protect themselves with a concealed weapon), stop wasting so much time sitting in cars watching for speeders (revenue generators) instead of actually patrolling neighborhoods and keeping the peace.
    Last edited by rocky; May 11th, 2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    Cops wouldn't get all the bashing they do if they behaved better. I've met some very nice, highly professional cops, but I've also met plenty of complete *******with serious attitude problems. I think the LEO profession as a whole attracts far more than its fair share of jerks, people who are attracted to power.

No one here complains when someone bashes politicians or lawyers, two professions infamous for corruption, lack of ethics, and power-hungry people. Are all politicians and lawyers horrible, evil people? Of course not. I think many politicians are just misguided, some are good, and some are really bad (Ted Kennedy?). But complain about the cops and suddenly everyone leaps to their defense.

The worst part is the whole "blue wall of silence", where cops will close ranks and protect each other, even when it's obvious there was misbehavior. With stuff like this, how do expect to not get a bad reputation?

You want respect? You have to earn it. Stop backing up the bad apples, stop enforcing the bad laws, stop harassing law-abiding citizens (like those who want to protect themselves with a concealed weapon), stop wasting so much time sitting in cars watching for speeders (revenue generators) instead of actually patrolling neighborhoods and keeping the peace.

Geez, I couldn't of said it better myself! if I could get to the clapping hands I'd post them too.........

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

No one realy knows the whole story about the cop until the investigation is complete. Don't prejudge him.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    [/url]
    It is funny how we take things, I took the comment as a bit of sarcasm aimed at the antis contention that only the PDs need to be armed and what would the rest of us need guns for? As a phrase guarantied to spark a bit of dialog, I did not take it as any “cop bashing” intended. Nor do I see the attached article as such. On the surface it appears that the officer acted in a manner that was in appropriate.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links