I Need a Gun!

This is a discussion on I Need a Gun! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in the self checkout lane at a wholesale grocery today, had finished my sale and was loading my merchandise in my cart. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need a Gun!

I Need a Gun!

I was in the self checkout lane at a wholesale grocery today, had finished my sale and was loading my merchandise in my cart. The lady behind me had a large item that wouldn't fit on the countertop barcode scanner and couldn't locate the handheld scanner. She loudly proclaimed "I need a gun!" The devil on my left shoulder wanted me to flip my shirt up and say "will this do?" but the angel on my right shoulder prevailed and showed me an image of her screaming to the store manager, police being called, the whole works.

That particular store experienced a shooting about six months ago. A female employee, who had recently started divorce proceedings, was about to get off work. Her sister had come to pick her up and was sitting in a car outside. The employee's husband showed up with a shotgun, shot and killed the sister in the parking lot, then entered the store and shot his wife in the face; she survived.

He later turned himself in and was very remorseful. He told police that he was so upset over the divorce, knew that he was in no mental state to be around guns and was transporting them to a safe place for storage, when he snapped and committed the murder. In court he admitted that his sister-in-law had never done anything bad to him and didn't deserve to die. I guess he should have listened to his angel.

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad you listened to your angel!

I see your avatar is of the Norfolk County Rifle Range. I'm not too far from Norfolk. Well, across the water. Lol.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I lost my drivers license, a few months ago. After waiting forever in line at the DMV. I finaly get my picture taken. The clirk didnt like the 1st shot, nor the second, or third. She said joking, "relax, you look like someone is going to shoot you". So I replyed "Im not the one who is about to be shot".

In NY someone would have called the LEOs. Good thing I was in Florida. Where people can have a sense of humor, about such things.

VIP Member
    The longer I carry, the more I am convinced that it's best that NOBODY knows!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

IMO just the word 'gun is a no-no in most scenarios, like 'bomb' in an airport. LEOs are trained to react to that word like you wouldn't believe which is why it's best to say things like permit or firearm when you get pulled over but not "I have a gun".
    My wife and I were in SF last weekend and she went shopping, quite successfully I might add. Amongst the bounty she got $200 worth of smelly, soapy type things, amongst them were a quantity of 'bath bombs' which are compressed balls of scented epsom salts. So we packed them and joked that if anyone asked us what was in our case we could say "oh it's just full of bombs".
    Except we wouldn't do that, because as I already said, the word bomb in an airport is an instant 'bad day', just as the word gun is an instant bad day most everywhere.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I was working on my riding mower today and had to squirm around on the driveway. So I took my wallet and gun off so as not to scrape it over the cement. After finishing and putting myself back together my daughter asked if I was planning to shoot the mower. Must say I was tempted.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

CONCEALED carry

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    The longer I carry, the more I am convinced that it's best that NOBODY knows!
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Amongst the bounty she got $200 worth of smelly, soapy type things, amongst them were a quantity of 'bath bombs' which are compressed balls of scented epsom salts. So we packed them and joked that if anyone asked us what was in our case we could say "oh it's just full of bombs".
    Except we wouldn't do that, because as I already said, the word bomb in an airport is an instant 'bad day', just as the word gun is an instant bad day most everywhere.
    So if the word "bomb" is off-limits in an airport, what about the word "bombardier"? That's the person who drops bombs. But it's also the name of a commuter jet manufacturer. Does this mean we can't mention the name of the brand of jet we're flying? What if we ask the ticket agent what kind of plane we're flying? If she says, "It's a Bombardier xxxxx", will she be nabbed by security?

What if some kid makes a remark like "It's the bomb!" which seems to be a new slang usage of the word?

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    That particular store experienced a shooting about six months ago. A female employee, who had recently started divorce proceedings, was about to get off work. Her sister had come to pick her up and was sitting in a car outside. The employee's husband showed up with a shotgun, shot and killed the sister in the parking lot, then entered the store and shot his wife in the face; she survived.

He later turned himself in and was very remorseful. He told police that he was so upset over the divorce, knew that he was in no mental state to be around guns and was transporting them to a safe place for storage, when he snapped and committed the murder. In court he admitted that his sister-in-law had never done anything bad to him and didn't deserve to die. I guess he should have listened to his angel.
    This is an area where Asian society is superior to ours (or least it was back in feudal Japanese days). This man should not have turned himself in, only to be sentenced to a long prison term at taxpayers' expense. Instead, he should have restored whatever honor he had left and killed himself. When you screw up that badly, it's the only honorable thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post

What if some kid makes a remark like "It's the bomb!" which seems to be a new slang usage of the word?
    Feel free to find out, let me know how it went for you.

When I'm going through airport security, which is what I'm referring to here, I say 'yes' and 'no' and keep it shut apart from that.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Feel free to find out, let me know how it went for you.

When I'm going through airport security, which is what I'm referring to here, I say 'yes' and 'no' and keep it shut apart from that.
    I'm just curious what they'd do if some stupid kid did say something like that. After all, they don't seem to have any trouble doing invasive searches on old women and other people who are obviously not terrorists, so why treat kids differently?

Before 9-11, my ex son-in-law went through security at the airport with one of those lighters shaped like a gun in his pocket. My wife was with him. Neither my wife, nor security was amused. He was a moron (one of the reasons he became an EX son-in-law).

I'm confused...what's the purpose of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    I'm confused...what's the purpose of this thread?
    Purpose? Threads may have subjects, but they don't have a purpose. Do a bunch of guys sitting around in the barber shop shooting the bull have a purpose for talking?

This isn't a structured debate here, it's a bunch of people just talking. There's no purpose. Just like any other message board on the internet.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post
    I lost my drivers license, a few months ago. After waiting forever in line at the DMV. I finaly get my picture taken. The clirk didnt like the 1st shot, nor the second, or third. She said joking, "relax, you look like someone is going to shoot you". So I replyed "Im not the one who is about to be shot".

In NY someone would have called the LEOs. Good thing I was in Florida. Where people can have a sense of humor, about such things.
    I take it the opposite way. I never joke about shooting people, because I have a gun and could do it. I think it's inappropriate. It's a a serious matter, not a laughing matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links