Storing carry guns--Loaded or not?

This is a discussion on Storing carry guns--Loaded or not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unloaded guns scare the crap outta' me. Don't own unloaded or inaccessible firearms. Thats just me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing carry guns--Loaded or not?

Unloaded guns scare the crap outta' me. Don't own unloaded or inaccessible firearms. Thats just me.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

2. Remove Ads

I consider my other handguns to be backups if my primary should have a problem...like running out of bullets. The backups are loaded in a small gunsafe with an electronic combination lock that is bolted to a wall in the bedroom closet. If they weren't loaded, then I'd think my backups were small, ineffective clubs.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

My carry is always loaded/ always with me. At night it's on my nightstand. The rest are locked in a Liberty safe.

My EDC, is always on me...or less than 2' away. All my pistols in the safe are loaded...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If my gun is in use (meaning ready for protecting me), it is always loaded.

There are generally two loaded at all times. One is on me, and one is in a Gunvault by my bedside. Very quick entry.

The rest are unloaded and stored in my Remmington safe.

I dont' have a problem with people storing loaded guns in a safe. The reason I got the safe was to make sure the bad guys have to go to a little extra trouble to steal them.

I am a bit leary of leaving loaded guns (or any guns, for that matter) unlocked around the house only because I don't want to make things easy on a thief.

Besides, when I put a gun away in the safe it is usually because I have just cleaned it after use. I don't see any reason to worry about loading it until I am ready to use it again.

But, like I said, I don't get any heartburn if others keep their guns loaded as long as they are responsible and from the previous posts, it sounds like everyone commenting here is.

Stay safe
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

My wife and my carry guns are loaded and kept in a safe. Other home defense pistols that could possibly be used are kept in gun rugs with mags loaded but not inserted into pistol. Range gun (only .22 at this time) is kept unloaded and mags are unloaded. All guns are kept in a office safe with digital keypad entry.

My 442 and G27 are my frequent use guns and are always loaded. The PPK/S (hate that gun) is unloaded. My Glock rule is load it and leave it loaded, no need to fuss with it all the time.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    ...If I go to no gun area, like a gun show in my area the sign says no fire arms. I comply
    I unload the Ketec and hide the lower plastic in my truck, and bring in the top slide in my top pocket. Any fire arms on you sir? I say no. If some one breaks in my truck they get half a gun. Then I will report the serial # to the police and Keltec.

Good Idea, I think I'll adopt that policy. I always am afraid my carry gun might get stolen when locked in car at gun show. There is a definite "high" probability of hitting the jackpot breaking into a car during a gunshow.

While there is pretty good security inside and around the front doors to the events, I know that the security does not "continuously" roam the parking lots. Maybe a couple walk-throughs at best during the hours of the show.

Thanks for the tip Phoneguy!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My carry/house guns are always loaded. My non-carry/house guns are not loaded.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

i leave my carry gun loaded ALWAYS. i also have another gun loaded in the house just for second chance. picture frame holster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links