Defensive Carry banner

Storing carry guns--Loaded or not?

18K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  briar 
#1 ·
What do you think about storing carry guns loaded? My wife and I each have a primary and a pocket gun, as well as several fun guns. The fun guns stay unloaded, but I leave carry guns loaded almost all the time, but locked up when not in use. My reasoning is that the dangers of loading and unloading (risk of ND, risk of bullet setback) are small, but larger than the dangers of storing a loaded gun. We are the only ones living here, we know which guns are loaded, and treat them all as loaded anyhow.

Anything I'm missing?

#2 ·
The only firearms I don't have fully loaded are my rifles and shotguns.

My .22's are only loaded at the range.

Since the firearms I'm not carrying are all in a safe when not in use I don't have a problem leaving them loaded. For safety reasons I leave them loaded ( the whole treat every gun as it is loaded until you check it yourself rule). If they are loaded I know that they are loaded and I don't have to second guess myself and I don't get lax with safely handling them, granted it may just be a psychological thing but that's the way I do it.

#3 ·
No.. As we all know, guns don't go off by themselves. Your gun can sit loaded in a safe for 50 years and you'll never have a problem with it.

If I counted every loaded gun in our home, well, I'd be counting almost all of our guns.

If there is no one else in your home and you are responsible adults then, by all means, store your guns loaded.

If you ever do have company, be ready to change that, however. You don't want a guest to find a loaded surprise.

Almost every time my husband and I have guests we do a weapons check. All weapons that are not on our person are unloaded, stored in lockable containers, locked and then stowed away in the closet or under the bed and the keys are put in a safe spot.. ESPECIALLY if our guests happen to have children with them. Some kids don't care if it's someone else's home. They'll get into your stuff anyway.

Stay safe. :smile:

#4 ·
What Lima said... She's so smart! She really should be an instructor, you know...

Sevesteen, you should have no problem leaving your defense guns loaded. If you leave home, and they are not with you, you should have them under lock and key in a secure location. Don't just leave loaded guns in the bedroom or wherever when you are not home.

#5 ·
My carry gun is always on my side or in arms reach away and always loaded. My other hand guns are in my safe they are also loaded. If the SHTF and I needed my other guns they are ready to go. I also keep a loaded 20 rnd mag in my safe for my "BLACK" gun just in case things get really bad.:rant:

#7 ·
Storing and Carry Gun?
I NEVER EVER EVER store my carry gun, it is either on my person, or readily available for use.
Readily available for use is unsecured, loaded and generally within 15 feet of me.
My view of stored is secured, unloaded and the distance from me doesn't matter.

#8 ·
I've got several carry guns, wife has one...any not being carried are locked up loaded, and we both know they are all hot.

Depending on what I wear and the occasion, I often change carry guns, so choose not to go through the drill of loading/unloading as often as that would require.

#9 ·
Both carry guns are loaded with defensive ammo when not being actively used (cleaned, dry firing, at range, etc.). This falls into two categories - on my person, or within arms reach of me (or my wife). I don't consider either of those to be "storage". The guns we store (Ruger .22, .22 rifle) are locked up and unloaded.

#10 ·
The only time my carry gun is "not in use" is when I'm someplace where I can't carry. If it's just for a moment (like the post office), I'll lock my gun up, but leave it loaded. If it's for a longer term (like a trip to Washington D.C.) then I'll unload. Otherwise it's either on my person or within arms reach.

#11 ·
All my guns are loaded, along with the speedloaders for my wifes gun and spare mags for the rifle (savage 22) and my pistol.

Now when children/ childlike adults come over we empty and lock em up. I can control my actions, but not other peoples.

#12 ·
I keep my house gun loaded in a quick access safe. If I go to no gun area, like a gun show in my area the sign says no fire arms. I comply
I unload the Ketec and hide the lower plastic in my truck, and bring in the top slide in my top pocket. Any fire arms on you sir? I say no. If some one breaks in my truck they get half a gun. Then I will report the serial # to the police and Keltec.

#14 ·
I keep my house gun loaded in a quick access safe. If I go to no gun area, like a gun show in my area the sign says no fire arms. I comply
So a firearm free Gun show? Man that sucks, what do they just call it a show?

:stups: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

#13 ·
Every gun I own is loaded all the time. If someone is bringing a child into my home they will be locked up, but still loaded. Other than children, I don't have people over that I don't fully trust. If I can trust you to leave my stuff alone you are not welcome in my home. There are plenty of items in my home that I don't want anyone touching, firearms make up a very small percentage of that.

But then, I'm an odd duck. I don't invite many people over. Only very good friends or family spend time in my home.

#15 ·
Phoneguy - nice idea! I may copy that!

Most of what's in the safe is unloaded, however ammo is nearby on a shelf. House guns are kept loaded unless I'm leaving for an extended period, then they're emptied and secured in the safe.

If I'm putting my carry/house gun in the safe while I run to the store, they're left loaded.

#17 ·
I consider my other handguns to be backups if my primary should have a problem...like running out of bullets. The backups are loaded in a small gunsafe with an electronic combination lock that is bolted to a wall in the bedroom closet. If they weren't loaded, then I'd think my backups were small, ineffective clubs.

#19 ·
My EDC, is always on me...or less than 2' away. All my pistols in the safe are loaded...:hand10:

ret

#20 ·
If my gun is in use (meaning ready for protecting me), it is always loaded.

There are generally two loaded at all times. One is on me, and one is in a Gunvault by my bedside. Very quick entry.

The rest are unloaded and stored in my Remmington safe.

I dont' have a problem with people storing loaded guns in a safe. The reason I got the safe was to make sure the bad guys have to go to a little extra trouble to steal them.

I am a bit leary of leaving loaded guns (or any guns, for that matter) unlocked around the house only because I don't want to make things easy on a thief.

Besides, when I put a gun away in the safe it is usually because I have just cleaned it after use. I don't see any reason to worry about loading it until I am ready to use it again.

But, like I said, I don't get any heartburn if others keep their guns loaded as long as they are responsible and from the previous posts, it sounds like everyone commenting here is.

Stay safe

#21 ·
My wife and my carry guns are loaded and kept in a safe. Other home defense pistols that could possibly be used are kept in gun rugs with mags loaded but not inserted into pistol. Range gun (only .22 at this time) is kept unloaded and mags are unloaded. All guns are kept in a office safe with digital keypad entry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.