Shooting Threat at Work

This is a discussion on Shooting Threat at Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes Granted, a .380 will bring down an attacker, but if a wacko comes into my building shooting, by the time he ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Threat at Work

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

Granted, a .380 will bring down an attacker, but if a wacko comes into my building shooting, by the time he reaches me or my division it will have been established that he's here for one purpose alone, killing, and return fire is the only option to bring him down. I may have to take a shot at 10-15 yards and while there are other people running, screaming, trying to escape and while he's walking around, I'm may need a gun with a little more accuracy and perhaps a little more oomph.
    If this person ever goes postal, factor in the use of a rifle (i.e. AK47 copy) + body armor.

If Murphy get his way around, count on fire escape doors to be blocked and electricity to go out + maybe a small fire.

Mass panicked huddled employees escaping a body armor covered bad guy with a rifle, and all you have a is a .380... I think is time for a gun upgrade!

2. Remove Ads

Lima,

As far as I'm concerned... and if I were in the same situation. Going to work unarmed would not even be an option I would consider even for a fleeting moment.

Protecting my life as well as the possibility, (however slight it may be), to be in a position to possibly intervene and save someone elses life because I was armed when all others were not is a moral decision I have made long ago.

I would consider my job, and the income from that job to be trivial compared to the situation you have before you. You are young, you are healthy, you are intelligent, you are educated... No problem finding another job if the administration were to be so cowardly as to terminate your employment for carrying in a situation such as this. (I have found most people move on to better jobs anyway).

I think my only decision to make would be to get another "primary" weapon that I could shoot as well as the one you have in the shop. In this situation... I would not rely on my sub-caliber back up gun to take the place of my primary gun. You can't afford to have stray rounds flying about.

You are in a position that is not the same position of total uncertainty as your normal daily routine has been up to this point. Now,you are essentially going forward where being "in harms way" has been clearly announced as a threat, and it would be fool hardy to ignore, considering how V-Tech has galvenized so many CCW holders and others who work in "gun free" zones.

This is considered by many to be "the moment of truth" for you my dear. How you decide to go forth is something you will have to live with or die with.

My only advice to you is "Be Prepared" to the best of your ability and don't get caught bringing a "pop gun" to a gun fight.

Hopefully, and god willing, nothing comes of this and life moves on uneventful.

Good luck my friend, and if you must shoot to defend yourself or others, may your bullets fly true and hit their target hard!

Stay Safe!
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 13th, 2007 at 10:10 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

maybe i missed something earlier Lima, i knew you worked in a gun shop but you said your an educator as well. does that mean you work in a "school"? ...like in a school that won't allow carry? i didn't want to comment on anything that i didn't know enough about. you seem screwed in the fact that no one takes those kind of threats seriously until they're are all outside crying at the aftermath.
    What's this button do?

Lead Moderator
    I believe Lima works in as a school admin building, or something adjacent to a school ,not a school proper, (therefore carry not unlawful).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I suggest a Les Baer Stinger type .45 - officer's frame, commander's slide - and a shoulder holster. You can start wearing a suit type jacket - they make lots of those things - maybe black with pinstripes? just an idea. No one would ever know

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I believe Lima works in as a school admin building, or something adjacent to a school ,not a school proper, (therefore carry not unlawful).
    ah, o.k., well, i know empty threats come and go. the trick is when to know when they have the possibility to be real (like that's easy). but i guess you have to keep your alert level up until you know what the deal is. was the threat credible? ...meaning, did it seem to have a purpose or an effective result? (anything to gain) did it sound crazy? (anything goes with no reason) it sucks to watch your back when threatened directly or even indirectly but habits develop. i know i'd change direction when possible to lower my own threat level. obviously not that easy in all situations (had a job where i was threatened but he was fired before i quit) ...I'd do it if i had to. yours sound's more general than individual so caution seems the best you can do at the moment without drastically changing your life.
    What's this button do?

Senior Moderator
    wow.. I go away to clean guns and come back to lots of comments... thanks, everyone.

Correction.. No, I do not work in a school. I work in an administration building. Even if I did work in a school, Pennsylvania law does not expressly prohibit the lawful possession of a gun on school property. It's frowned upon and, of course, many schools and administration buildings have weapons policies ensuring employment termination should a weapon be discovered but it is now "illegal" by Pennsylvania law.

Even when I told my mother about the threat, her first response was, "Can you carry to work?" I said I could lawfully, and she said, "Good."

My personal safety is second to my employment. If I'm fired because of my carrying, fine.. I'll just work full-time at the gun shop were carry is not only allowed but almost expected.

Anyway, I began carrying to protect myself from the average thug, rapist, petty thief and mugger; attacks that would most likely happen up close where the attacker was not expecting to die.

This threat has opened my eyes to a whole other type of defense that I had honestly thought I would be immune from. I know that all of the kids at Columbine and VT never expected to be gunned down in their school either, but I guess we all have instances were we are both naive or at least in a bit of a state of denial... We say things like, "that could never happen to me" and either because fate is cruel or because God has an unusual sense of humor we find ourselves snap-dab in the middle of something we never thought could ever happen (or at least waiting for it to happen).

I can say that I'm happy I'm above the curve in that I am at least carrying to begin with and ready and able with the weapons I choose.

Someone mentioned practicing...

I told my husband when I got my permit that I would not carry unless I practiced frequently and got some type of professional training. If I was going to carry a weapon for self-defense I was not only going to know how to use it, but I was going to know how to use it well.

I shoot every week. I have a one-on-one class with an instructor next week who knows me and is going to skip all the fluffy crap and get to the gritty stuff. I also have another self-defense, concealed weapons class coming up this fall.

I know my capabilities with every single weapon I own and I know that either because of the weapon or because of the shooter or because of the combination of the two I am not confident I could be accurate enough to preform a kill shot at over 15 yards with the gun I'm carrying now, especially in a stressful situation. Hence, I need another primary gun to stand in for my primary that is getting worked on.

As to whether this threat is real or not.. well, there's no way to know that and while I have a very heavy suspicion that it's a sick joke, I'm not going to risk my life on that hunch. I'm not loosing sleep or in fear for my life every time I walk in the building but I have started thinking about things I've never thought of before, my choice of carry weapons at the time being one of them.

Maybe I'm stubborn, maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm a combination of the two, but I'm not going to drastically change my life because some idiot sent an email from a library. I'll up my alertness a bit more, I'll probably leave an extra ear open and I'll make sure I'm armed no matter what but I'm not going to let fear eat a hole through my center.

If there was any meeting or talk about extra security measures or how to handle the situation if it does occur, I've heard nothing to the effect. I'm just a lowly admin assistant. The higher ups don't include us in their secret club meetings and what they discuss.

Mostly, all I've heard is that incoming emails are being monitored for the time being. The IT staff and the police are working together to try to identify and locate the individual who originated the threat, a toll free and anonymous number is set up for people who feel they need to talk about their anxiety or anything else... yada yada... all the stuff to make us "FEEL" safer and more protected, though I think it's been well proved that there is a substantial difference between "FEELING" safe and "BEING" safe.

I guess, more than being scared or worried, I'm ticked off. I'm ticked off that all the fluffy nonsense about how the building is secure is actually making people breath easier (while it's good they aren't so high-strung, it's bad that they trust monitoring emails is going to keep someone from walking in the front door and opening fire). I'm ticked off that people are standing around, wringing their hands and at least letting this guy win by living in terror (that's what he obviously wanted). I'm ticked off that people keep talking about "what if" and safety and what the administrators are going to do to protect them. I want to shake them and scream, "WHY PUT YOUR SECURITY IN SOMEONE ELSE'S HANDS?" I'm ticked off that the only other person I know in my building who I know has his permit to carry has admitted to me that he never carries at work. I'm ticked off that while I have the flexibility not to care whether I get fired for carrying or not, some may not have that flexibility and they need every paycheck they can get and so they abide by the rules to protect their job, knowing the risk. I'm ticked off that they are forced to decide between their own safety and their future financial security. That choice should NEVER even have to be considered. I'm ticked off at the air of helplessness I have felt among my colleagues. I'm ticked off that speaking my mind to them would probably also get me fired because I'd tell them to arm themselves.

I'm ticked.

At least your employer had the decency to notify you.

When I was 17 I worked at an electronics retail outlet that will currently remain nameless where a former disgruntled employee made a similar threat. The management didn't alert any of the "non-managerial level employees". The rumor mill circulated and I confronted a senior level manager about the threat, he denied it. Two weeks later an announcement came out during a staff meeting that the threat had been made earlier in the month. They hadn't mentioned anything before because they didn't wish to needlessly worry their little

Shortly thereafter I submitted my resignation. I no longer shop at that retail outlet.

- Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Lima,

You definitely have your head screwed on tight. You are very level headed! I like your attitude! You think like a warrior, and I am serious about that.

Your attitude of "not freaking out" and just going about your business with a higher level of alertness is right on the point.

Still, you are thinking of new tactics and receiving a little extra preparation.

Girl, that is all you can do. To radically change your life and become a nervous wreck is counter-productive to say the least.

Good Girl Lima! If some creep crosses your path, be it the nut who sent the email threats or any other creep... I feel for them! They will be instore for one Big Surprise! No Sheeple in your household!

Take care and Stay Safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If the threat pans out, Pray first, and return fire. Best of luck to you.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Maybe I'm stubborn, maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm a combination of the two, but I'm not going to drastically change my life because some idiot sent an email from a library. I'll up my alertness a bit more, I'll probably leave an extra ear open and I'll make sure I'm armed no matter what but I'm not going to let fear eat a hole through my center.
    I applaud you here. It'd be a shame if we all stopped living life because of dirtbags.

Anyhow, wouldn't it be great if we could afford to tell our employers: "Protect us or allow us to protect ourselves, then we'll come back to work." ...waking up now.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Lead Moderator
    It's frowned upon and, of course, many schools and administration buildings have weapons policies ensuring employment termination should a weapon be discovered but it is now "illegal" by Pennsylvania law.
    Tell me you "fat-fingered" the word "now" and meant "NOT"
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lima,
    I recently switched from a .380 (Bersa Thunder) to a Compact CZ75 for my Secondary Carry piece. I too felt that with the increse in mall/workplace shootings I wanted a more oomph AND more capacity. The CZ is just shy of 1lb heavier than the Bersa (when loaded) but is almost the same size. So it conceles very well when I dont want to tote around my 1911 Commander.....and as a bonus it is designed to carry C&L like a 1911 so my manual of arms is the same now

Just my $0.02 worth.....I would upgrade to at least a 9mm were I in your situation....stay safe!!!!!!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Tell me you "fat-fingered" the word "now" and meant "NOT"
    Ooops.. You're right... clumsy me.. I meant "not."

Thanks for catching that.

Senior Moderator
    It seems that you are doing what is nessecary to protect yourself, while not being paranoid about it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links